300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX & TN Trivia/School help needed

My husband is a CJ student researching our home state (TX, obviously) and the assigned state of TN. Can anyone tell me where the first police departments in those two states are located?

We've spent hours on the net looking for this info and have emailed several historical groups and museums but have heard nothing back. I really hope someone here can give us some leads.

Thanks so much!
    sigpicPssssst, wanna hide Daddy's handcuff key?

Need support as a LEO wife? Visit my little blog

jonesborough is the oldest town in TN. Don't know if they have the oldest dept. or not, but it is a start for you.

Comment

Sorry guys..........
      Last edited by Styx; 09-30-2005, 11:30 AM. Reason: posted in ask a cop by mistake

Comment

Oldest towns...

Yea, I've thought the oldest town would have the first PD-but I'm wondering what kind of law enforcement the early settlements had-before they were official towns...

This questions is driving us crazy! This instructor seems to be the type to just ask away on questions she really doesn't know how to answer herself. When asked for some direction on these questions, she said, "You should just be able to ask any police officer, they should have learned it in the academy."

So...anyone retain that kind of info from academy?

Thanks for the Jonesborough tip,MPD-A9, I'll check it out.

Comment

Tennessee trivia: The word "toothbrush" originated in Tennessee. If it was anywhere else, it would have been "Teethbrush!"
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Brazoria County claims to be the oldest starting in 1836.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Another academic with no idea about police work - this teacher is an idiot.
              It's enough officers have to understand the law and it's application, court decisions, department policies, etc. etc. Let the historians worry about which town had the first PD!
              What a waste of your time. Tell her I said so!

Edited to add: The next time someone tries to defend a CJ degree as usefull to becoming an officer, I'm going to send them to this post!
              Last edited by Sleuth; 09-30-2005, 05:06 PM.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

Not a cop, but I can add some input to this. According to my instructor for penal and civil law at the academy, Constables were the first law enforcement in TX. Of course, he is a Constable, so that's all we learned about.

This link tells ya all about it:
                http://www.tarrantcounty.com/econsta...stable5Nav=%7C

Although after a quick search.... TX Rangers claim to be the oldest.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...texas_rangers/

And as PKagel says.... Brazoria County Sheriff's Dept. 1836

http://www.brazoria-county.com/sheri...tory/index.htm
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                and I'm not sure about the former.
                -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

i believe it was the quakers who started the first penal institution in the new world, amazing what useless info that you retain when getting your cj degree, but i still have a hard time spelling.

i agree with the person who said something about idiot professors teaching how to be an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                    Tennessee trivia: The word "toothbrush" originated in Tennessee. If it was anywhere else, it would have been "Teethbrush!"
                    Ha, thats a good one.

Comment

Check with the FOP.

Their lodges will probably have the answer.

Start with the state office.

Hope this helps.
                      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                      between you
                      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Thanks so much!

Thanks for all your leads, we'll check them out this weekend. My husband feels the same way, that this instructor has no clue how to teach. She was in corrections and was not a police officer. However, he does have another instructor who was an officer who is a great teacher. It's a pain to deal with the first teacher, but in reality, all of us have to work with people we'd rather not, so I guess inadvertantly, she's giving some training in that area.

Thanks again.

Comment

lc335

Originally posted by Texas Chick
                          My husband is a CJ student researching our home state (TX, obviously) and the assigned state of TN. Can anyone tell me where the first police departments in those two states are located?

We've spent hours on the net looking for this info and have emailed several historical groups and museums but have heard nothing back. I really hope someone here can give us some leads.

Thanks so much!
                          I'm not sure but I would be inclined to go with Jonesboro, Tn. since it is the oldest town in the state. You could look up Jonesboro Tennessee and it should give you the date the town was founded, also should give you a number for the city archives. lc335 retired LE Tennessee.

Comment

You know, you are paying for your husband's education. It does not seem you are getting value for your money. I would seriously consider visitng with the school administration, and request another teacher. I did this in college, and was moved from a bore to a teacher who made statistics interesting!
                            It's your money, you don't settle for bad food in a restaurant, why settle for a bad teacher in college?
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3049 users online. 189 members and 2860 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X