300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which weapon is the best?

I am in the Florida Law Enforcement Academy for Correctional Probation. We must purchase our own weapons. I am not sure of which weapon has the best rep. I have a choice of Smith & Wesson 9 mill, Beretta 9 mil 92 series or Glock 9 mil. I have heard conflicting information. Give me some additional info before I purchase.

I am rather anti Glock, that said, out of the weapons you mentioned I would say the Glock would be your best bet. The Glock 9mm's are near bullet proof for reliability and they don't have the silly upside down safety the other two have.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The one you have, can use efectively, and works.

I like Glock.

ps: can you get it in a .40 cal.?
      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
      between you
      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I carry a Glock 40 cal... smooth weapon... love it
        Retired 02/01/13

Comment

I dont like either weapon listed above but I would go with the Berreta.
          "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Glock for cost and it's the most durable.

Comment

Shoot (or at least handle) all 3, see which one fits you the best. That's the one

I don't care for Grocks either, but some folks love them.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                Glock for cost.

both the glock and the beretta go for around $500....

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                  and they don't have the silly upside down safety the other two have.

HEY

Comment

I have owned two of the three. I own a .40 cal glock and the Beretta 92-fs. I have shot both extensively. My dept lets us carry anything we want from a pre-approved list. I chose the Beretta. I think the glocks (tactical tupperware) are good guns, but I think the Beretta is hands down best for reliability and accuracy. I've owned two Berettas since 87 and neither has EVER had a malfunction, ever! And I shoot about 200 rnds a month. Another thing to consider is this; Berettas won the U.S. military contract over all other makers. Not once, but twice. The Isrealis swear by em. The glock is also a great gun. It's super light, easy to train with ( I think that's one reason they're so popular in law enforcement), and ver reliable. They also have a constant trigger, although it's spongey. I like Berettas best. If I were you, I would try to get my hands on one of each and shoot them to see which one you like best. Aw hell, who am I kidding? Just buy them all. You can never have enough toys
                    "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

I'm a Glock fan myself. Used a Glock 9mm in the academy. Bought a Smith and Wesson 9mm for work, it is all right. We now are issued 40 cal Glocks which I like very much. But I think you should test fire all three and decide which you prefer. Can you only choose a 9 mm?? Good luck.

Comment

Oh....I forgot.... my Smith and Wesson 9mm didn't have a safety switch on it.

Comment

For a while I carried a Beretta 96 (issued)for my fulltime job and a Glock 22 (personally owned) for my part time job. Although the Glock holds more rounds and is lighter that the Beretta, I found that I am more accurate with the Beretta. I switched to carrying the Beretta on both jobs so I don't have to fart around with 2 different guns with different operating systems.
                          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by blueronin
                            I have owned two of the three. I own a .40 cal glock and the Beretta 92-fs. I have shot both extensively. My dept lets us carry anything we want from a pre-approved list. I chose the Beretta. I think the glocks (tactical tupperware) are good guns, but I think the Beretta is hands down best for reliability and accuracy. I've owned two Berettas since 87 and neither has EVER had a malfunction, ever! And I shoot about 200 rnds a month. Another thing to consider is this; Berettas won the U.S. military contract over all other makers. Not once, but twice. The Isrealis swear by em. The glock is also a great gun. It's super light, easy to train with ( I think that's one reason they're so popular in law enforcement), and ver reliable. They also have a constant trigger, although it's spongey. I like Berettas best. If I were you, I would try to get my hands on one of each and shoot them to see which one you like best. Aw hell, who am I kidding? Just buy them all. You can never have enough toys
                            I dont think the military choosing a weapon should be a reason to carry one pistol over another. The military has done a lot of stupid things, and awarded contracts for no aparrent reason. Thant being siad, I have shot the baretta 9mm exstensively, and it was ok. Not great, but fairly reliable. I would take a Glock over all the choices listed simpley becasue it is smooth, accurate, simple (as in stupid simple) and fairley cheap ($400-$450).
                            www.officerdownbracelets.com
                            R.L.T.W

Comment

bluezy, yes I'll admit that the military has made some really questionable decisions, but this is one time I think they did a good job. Hey even a brocken clock is right twice a day But I don't consider "fairly cheap" a particularly good reason to pick a particular weapon over another. If that were the case we would all have hi-points to carry. Like I said the glock is a good weapon, if i was issued a glock i wouldn't complain about it, it's not just not My first choice. I've got a .40 cal sig too, I just like the berettas better. I don't think you can go wrong with any quality piece
                              "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4009 users online. 250 members and 3759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X