300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtesy Cards

I was just curious of what the process is of recieving one of these? Do I need to know a LEO personally?

I have donated to the Cleveland OHIO FOP lodges but have never recieved one like I was hoping. I was given a sticker from them but was wondering about how to get a card?

Thanks for your help!

I got mine from a Monopoly board game.

Comment

We had a long discussion/ debate on this subject a few weeks ago. The cards are given to you by an officer who personally knows you. On the back is usually a disclaimer that is similar to "please extend every courtesy to the holder of this card. I do know him/her to be a law abiding citizen." etc. You can't buy them with a donation. They don't make you an honorary police officer and the cop who issued it to you will be sent the card if it is taken from you in lieu of a ticket. The window decal that you get from donating to the FOP/ PBA is just a thank you.
      Jerry
      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Comment

Next time the FOP calls you and you answer, ask them which lodge the donations are going to so you "citizens" out there can think you will get off for breaking the law! I had one call me, I asked which lodge and they had no idea. If you really want to glorify yourself, by all means buy the pretty sticker stating you are a supporter, but don't whine when have you sign your ticket
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Litsz02
            I was just curious of what the process is of recieving one of these? Do I need to know a LEO personally?

I have donated to the Cleveland OHIO FOP lodges but have never recieved one like I was hoping. I was given a sticker from them but was wondering about how to get a card?

Thanks for your help!
            nevermind?????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Litsz02

Thanks for your help!
              you live in ohio, and by what i have ready on this board, havin that card with all teh crap that goes on in that state would do nothing...
              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Well, first you get on your knees..................

In truth they shouldn't exist and if I ever came across one I would question the officer's reasons for issuing the card and not honor it.

Comment

Originally posted by SO535
                  Well, first you get on your knees..................
                  *that cracks me up*

Comment

Courtesy cards

Years, and I do mean, years ago, there was such an animal. Some officers/agencies will give a citizen a "business card". It is exactly that: a business card, and is given, usually in an accident or criminal investigation, as a means for a victim/witness etc to contact the Officer handling the case. What you seem to be looking for is a "get out of jail free" card issued by a cop. Donations to the FOP etc, do not qualify you for any special consideration. The best way to avoid any problems regarding traffic citations etc, is to simply observe the traffic laws.

Comment

Being an LEO in Ohio, I would not accept a courtesy card. That is the most ridiculous little piece of paper you can get. Maybe they would be honored in Cleveland but I wouldn't hold your breath about it working anywhere else. I know of an officer who recieved a courtesy card, and then found a bunch of dope in the car.

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Obviously most of you haven't been officers long enough to understand what courtesy means. The card does not entitle the holder special priviledges, only discretion on minor infractions. If I stop your brother for rolling through a stop sign, I could issue a verbal warning or I could write a ticket. As a courtesy to the officer who issued the card, I would choose the warning and send the card back to you with a little note attached, " tell your brother to be more careful." Of course, if the violation was more serious, the card would mean nothing, but officers generally hand them out to close friends and family members, not just anyone.
                          Jerry
                          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Courtesy Cards

Jerry, I served for 38 years as an Officer. I stand by my post.

Comment

In New Jersey, PBA cards work nicely. They even have different levels of cards. Most of them are handed out and expire every year from what I understand. And, it is technically property of the PBA so the officers are allowed to take them and send them back to the issuing officer.

I have a family member card of a municipal police department. Officers are not allowed to take this card and every time I've been pulled over since having it, I don't even get a written warning.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2873 users online. 136 members and 2737 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X