300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral between states

I know it is possible, but it is wise. Will it screw up retirement and all that. Specifically from Portland to King or Snohomish County Sheriffs (Washington)
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

Lateral between states.

Check with the department you're interested in to see if they allow transfer of retirement credits. You're asking a very valid question, and one some folks don't consider when they transfer to another agency or state. Painting with a very broad brush, most agencies will allow you to withdraw the portion of your retirement you contribute to. Check to see if the agency you transfer to would allow you to purchase retirement with these funds. Different agencies have different rules. Good luck.

Comment

///////////
      Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:24 AM.
      Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
        Check with the department you're interested in to see if they allow transfer of retirement credits. You're asking a very valid question, and one some folks don't consider when they transfer to another agency or state. Painting with a very broad brush, most agencies will allow you to withdraw the portion of your retirement you contribute to. Check to see if the agency you transfer to would allow you to purchase retirement with these funds. Different agencies have different rules. Good luck.

+1

most agency retirements are some type of Public Employee Retirement (PERS). I would wait until you've been at your new agency for five years or whatever time it takes you be to "vested" in the new retirement system and then transfer the old agency retirement money over... this can be done without any tax / with holding penalties. You can leave your old retirement money there until you want to pull it OR add into it from your new agency meaning you taking an extra withdrawal on your own, to add into your old retirement (in addition to what's being taken out of your new retirement)....

can of worms it can be... hopefully not for you. good luck.
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info, I guess I will contact the two or three agencies that I am interested up here in washington to find out exactly what I can do....
          Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

Comment

Check out this site for Snohomish County http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Sheriff/ . Contact any of the recruiters and they'll be able to help you. All are great guys and are deputies with the county. I know Chip is a detective and might be easier to get ahold of. Hope this helps some and good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6387 users online. 339 members and 6048 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X