Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizen's on Patrol-What do you think?

Do any of your departments have this type of program and what is your opinion of the program and the people in it? If your department has it what is their main responsiblity and what kind of equipment are they given(cell phone, radio, etc)? Do you think it is a waste of time. To those that do not have the COP would you ever welcome it at your agency?
    Last edited by frogdust; 09-25-2005, 06:45 PM. Reason: added a question

we have it, it works ok for the most part,
    since in ft lauderdale you can't get the beat car's to do a interior
    patrol of the neighborhoods cause they are short handed or
    to busy rousting a drunk, it add's a false sense of security that
    at least another pair of eyes and ears are lookin and snoopin.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Citizens on patrol

There is a certain value to the program in terms of vacation house watches etc. Problems arise when untrained citizens attempt to play cop. Potentially, there are all the ingredients needed for a disaster, ie: Uniformed, unarmed,(thankfully) untrained, well intentioned, people . Keep in mind, these are not Reserve Officers, many of whom recieve the same training as regulars, these are citizens, often elderly, not in shape, who's time would be better spent volunteering at the Red Cross, in church groups, or other worthy activities.

Comment

we don't have this however the agencies that do (Sacramento PD / County Sheriff) have it and it works great for them. The individuals are usually retired folks who have to attend and pass a "citizen's" police academy.

Their role is to be seen and to observe and report ONLY. They are assigned to specific regions / areas and are allowed to take very minor, "cold" reports, i.e. lost wallet, found property, etc.

They wear different type of uniforms than the sworn do and have a portable radio with a specific radio designator on a misc. channel (with the ability to go on one of the main channels if they need to report an emergency).....

PRUNE JUICE baby!
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

citizens patrol

In Cleveland? yeah, right.
          "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

My town has it. They are all a bunch of wackos. They help keep an eye on neighbors houses when they are out of town, report any suspicious behavior (people roaming the streets that they have never seen before, etc.). The program isn't BAD in any way but I don't think crime is any lower because they exist.
            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I hate it when people report stupid things like a knocked over mailbox and say, "BUT I'M THE BLOCK WATCH CAPTAIN!"

And I'm the Queen of England... geez. I had that call a few weeks ago.

Comment

And wow... so you have found another stolen car!!! I admire them for wanting to help, it's to bad the city doesn't hire more us to handle the work they find us..

Comment

FtLaudCop- did you hear about the deputy that pulled a COP unit over in one of the retirement communties? hahaha. I think he wrote him a ticket as well. I believe this happened in PB county.
                  press hard-5 copies

Comment

What do you think those patrolling as part of this group could do that would be helpful rather than drive everyone crazy? I ask cause I'm considering joining a program like this but I hardly fit the senior citizen profile.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3811 users online. 210 members and 3601 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X