Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "If you caught your mom speeding...

...would you ticket her?"

This is one of those common questions that is asked during an oral board. How do you answer this question? You say "yes" and obviously you're lying (unless you hate your mom, but let's all pretend we love our mommies (I do!). Under certain circumstances you may feel it necessary to act according to the law, if she's endangering lives, drunk etc. But come on now, as an officer you have the right to use disgression. As in you don't have to go after everyone with lights and siren blaring who seems to be speeding 10 miles over... You say "no", and even if that's an honest answer and the people interviewing you would most likely do the same, you get nailed for not carrying out the law appropriately. How do you answer? Is there a good answer?

Originally posted by JustDontDie
    ...would you ticket her?"

This is one of those common questions that is asked during an oral board. How do you answer this question? You say "yes" and obviously you're lying (unless you hate your mom, but let's all pretend we love our mommies (I do!). Under certain circumstances you may feel it necessary to act according to the law, if she's endangering lives, drunk etc. But come on now, as an officer you have the right to use disgression. As in you don't have to go after everyone with lights and siren blaring who seems to be speeding 10 miles over... You say "no", and even if that's an honest answer and the people interviewing you would most likely do the same, you get nailed for not carrying out the law appropriately. How do you answer? Is there a good answer?

They ask because they DO NOT want to hire the SOB that would!!
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Exactly...the answer is NO...police officers have a great thing called DISCRETION.....use it !!

Good Luck~
      ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

No in Ohio we let the Ohio Highway Patrol ticket all mothers and grandmothers

Comment

Good one Bodie!!
          ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            No in Ohio we let the Ohio Highway Patrol ticket all mothers and grandmothers
            In the VSP if you say "no" they WONT hire you, obviously you have to be willing to ticket your mother, wife, daughter, and oh I forgot one, your fellow brother in blue!

Comment

I think if I stopped my mom I would have to cite her for DUS...lol.. Not sure is she is vaild or not at the moment...
              THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

No ticket, warning only. My stop, my discretion, Thank you.
                Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

YOU don't have discretion until after you are hired

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                    YOU don't have discretion until after you are hired
                    You can't write tickets until after you are hired either.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayW4442
                      In the VSP if you say "no" they WONT hire you, obviously you have to be willing to ticket your mother, wife, daughter, and oh I forgot one, your fellow brother in blue!
                      I'm glad you said it. It's all about discretion.

Comment

hypothetical question...hypothetical answer...
                        Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Wasnt part of my oral board. While i wouldnt ticket my mother, I may ticket my mother in law . She would probably be OVI anyhow

Comment

What a stupid question to ask on an oral board. Any sane officer (or candidate) would not ticket their mom. Unless all you do is traffic enforcement (i.e. hp) then traffic is not the main focus of our job. I wouldnt want to work with anyone who would write their own mom a ticket. Such nonsense. Youre mom brought you into this world. Put the ticket book down and take a deep breath (this is directed to any hypothetical officer who will some how, in some asinine way, try to justify writing your own mom a ticket.) Now, writing someone elses mom a ticket? i guess i do that everyday.
                            press hard-5 copies

Comment

Best move, answer honestly and bluntly; "No I wouldn't, if I were to ticket my mother I would open myself up to mistreatment and punishment I would never dream of, much more severe than what the department would do to me for NOT ticketing my mother. I am not going to burn that bridge!"

LoL
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3818 users online. 250 members and 3568 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X