Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heres a brain teaser ????

. O K FELLOW OFFICERS.. heres the question,

you are enroute to a armed robbery in progress you arrive at the business that is being robbed and just as you are pulling up in your patrol car, two cars wreck right infront of the business, it is a wreck that has severe injuries involved, , keep in mind that there is no other law enforcement or medical personnel on scene yet. what do you do,, ?? and why?
    str8fighter

EDITED

Last edited by JustDontDie; 09-25-2005, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The people in the car accident probably aren't going to shoot me, unless of course one of them is the armed robber attempting to escape. I would focus on whatever is in my best safety interests first, while notifiying communications of accident so they can start EMS (who will really be the ones of best help to the accident victims anyway).
      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

It depends on a lot of variables...such as: how many false hold up alarms has this business had, is it a confirmed robbery or is it just a shoplifting, if the suspect still inside, any weapons involved etc.

You would be amazed at how many ignorant store employees call 911 screaming "we got robbed!" when in fact it was just a teenager who ran out with a pair of shoes or something.

Assuming the suspect had already left the scene, I would stop at the accident first. I would not touch the victims, too much of a risk of worsening their injuries. We are not even first aid certified.

It is rare that a vehicle catches fire. (at least the accidents I have been to)

Comment

ok the scenario states that there is indeed a armed robbery taking place and you can see the suspects inside the business when you pull up.. however there is also a accident with life threatening injuries??? do you do all you can to help those involved in the accident or do you try to deal with the robbery in progress,, this is assuming you have already placed the call for back up and informed the dipatch of accident with injuries???? any responce is welcome from anyone!!!!!
          str8fighter

Comment

Originally posted by str8fighter
            ok the scenario states that there is indeed a armed robbery taking place and you can see the suspects inside the business when you pull up.. however there is also a accident with life threatening injuries??? do you do all you can to help those involved in the accident or do you try to deal with the robbery in progress,, this is assuming you have already placed the call for back up and informed the dipatch of accident with injuries???? any responce is welcome from anyone!!!!!

No, your second post has the robbery with suspects visible inside, the first does not. Since you've seen the BG's, you must presume that they've seen your arrival as well. That means that whatever they do upon seeing you, will determine your actions. You'll have to respond to the BG's if they wanna go for bad. If they choose to run without confronting you, then realistically, you tend to the injured parties first.

Comment

Armed Robbery first, Traffic Accident second.
              Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Providing that I could see the suspects in the store as I rolled up, I would take care of them first. I see that as a potential threat (i.e. they could have guns) that would have to be taken care of first before any progress could be made regarding the crash. If they did have guns there's no telling what they would do as they left the store.

Comment

EDITED

Last edited by JustDontDie; 09-25-2005, 05:03 PM.

Comment

#1 rule; Mrs. Kelly's little boy goes home at the end of shift.
                    Any other questions?
                    Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                    between you
                    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Neither, I'm waiting at a safe distance and watching who comes out of the robbery location.

Comment

ok nice feed back,, lets keep this going.. a few replies say what you would do but not why...
                        str8fighter

Comment

Traffic accident first. Why? There are serious injuries involved and someone could potentially die while you drive by to what, take a report? I like my home, I would like to keep it from belonging to the family of the person who dies because I drove on by. The armed robbery is serious but how many end in someone getting hurt? Very few. I'm stopping and helping seriously injured people.
                          It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

I'm going to assume two things: 1) I am at a distance that I can see the business from the location of the car crash and 2) That the robbers have not yet left the building.

That said:
                            1) I'm not going in to an armed robbery without back up anyway.
                            2) I approach the crash scene while I keep an eye on the building.
                            3) Call EMS and get the fire boys rolling.
                            4) Direct cars to hold there position in traffic, shut it down, minimize the clutter, "I've got too much crap on my plate right now".
                            5) Keep eyes on the building to see if anyone comes out, chances are if he's still inside he's not coming out if he sees me, but I'm not getting shot in the back so I'll watch and help where I can at the crash scene.
                            6) If the robber walks out and I am still solo, get the best description I can and see where he goes. I'll still have a report to write. If he sneaks out the back ...... I'll still have a report to write.
                            7) If the calvary gets there, get my backup and respond to the robbery call.
                            8) No matter what .............. I'll still have a report to write.

Comment

Originally posted by co911
                              Traffic accident first. Why? There are serious injuries involved and someone could potentially die while you drive by to what, take a report? I like my home, I would like to keep it from belonging to the family of the person who dies because I drove on by. The armed robbery is serious but how many end in someone getting hurt? Very few. I'm stopping and helping seriously injured people.
                              The armed robbery is IN PROGRESS and the accident was not where you would "drive by", it was right there in front of the business being robbed. While I commend you for attending to visually injured motorists, and although it may not escalate to same, please don't forget the robbers right there atcha fixing to come outside at any given time...

Granted this scenario sucks, but attention to possible gunfire > accident... imho.

Charlie 31
                              Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4020 users online. 255 members and 3765 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X