300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bat in the car

My friend used to keep a bat in his car, in the trunk with nothing else. He said that incase a group of guys tried to carjack him or jump him he would get the bat and defend himself. But I heard somewhere thats illegal (In ca) and I was wondering if thats true.

Originally posted by COPS
    My friend used to keep a bat in his car, in the trunk with nothing else. He said that incase a group of guys tried to carjack him or jump him he would get the bat and defend himself. But I heard somewhere thats illegal (In ca) and I was wondering if thats true.
    Illegal or not, it doesn't seem very practical to try and defend yourself from a bunch of guys by trying to open a locked trunk to grab a bat.
    But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
    1 Corinthians 15:10

Comment

But isn't it self defence if they attack him first and he gets the bat? Also would golf clubs be considered a felong too?

Comment

I think the point that was being made is that if he is getting carjacked, jumped, whatever, he has to get out of the car, walk to the back of his vehicle, open trunk and then start swinging. It's not really practical.

Now on the legal side of it, if it's in the passenger compartment of the vehicle and sitting there all alone behind the seat, old bat with tape on the handle ....hmmmmmm.... ding, ding, ding..... that's a felony. If you happen to play sports and are on your way home, have a equip bag, cleats, glove, ball ...... I would buy it that it's just a bat. See the difference.

Comment

Move to a concealed carry state and buy a gun. End of debate.
          "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

More likely a gang would bring better weapons then a bat.
            Tell your friend to hit somebody with it and he can join the prison baseball team and have years of practice swinging a bat.

Comment

Question:

What exactly does your friend intent to do if carjacked? How exactly will a bat protect him from a gang of guys? How is he going to get to the bat from the driver's seat?

Just curious....

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead
                Move to a concealed carry state and buy a gun. End of debate.
                I 2nd that.
                Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Even if he is carjacked, you can't swing a bat with enough force to do very much damage while inside a car, especially if you're trying to hit someone outside the car. Was he planning to bash the windows of his own car as the thugs drove off in it? Would his insurance cover that? =)

Comment

Usually don't people who get car jacked get forced out of the car? If he's forced out he has access to the trunk which gives him some sort of chance of getting it back for the people who took it.

Comment

Usually don't people who get car jacked get forced out of the car? If he's forced out he has access to the trunk which gives him some sort of chance of getting it back for the people who took it.
                      What is he protecting, himself or his car? A car isn't worth dying for.

Most car jackings are done with a weapon; it's doubtful that his baseball bat will be a better weapon that what the bad guys are using. Not to mention, if there are several bad guys, that baseball bat won't do much anyway.

Also, how is he going to get in the trunk? They pull him out of the car and get in to drive off. His keys are in the ignition. Even if he has an extra set of keys, he wouldn't be able to get them out, get the bat and attack the bad guys in the time it takes for the bad guys to simply sit down and drive off.

Comment

It was only an example as to why he says he needs it, I'm sure he won't be happy when he finds out that its a felony.

Comment

It was only an example as to why he says he needs it, I'm sure he won't be happy when he finds out that its a felony.
                          Better that he finds out now rather than after he is arrested or injured/killed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3110 users online. 161 members and 2949 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X