300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions

One: How often do you help people jump their cars? Is it something you are cool with or do you do it begrudgingly?

Two: Sorry I forgot the second question. I will post it when I remember it.

With the computer systems they have in cars now days, that can go wrong at the slightest wrong move, most officers I know will call a tow for you to get a jump. Because of the libility issues it's pretty much become a thing of the past here. It's the same as with lock-outs, unless it's life threatening we're not going to do anything. If it is life threatening we're going to break a window.

Comment

Never...we are not permitted to jump cars, too many electronics to screw up.(MDC, fancy lights, radios etc)

We actually still do lockouts. I don't mind doing them b/c it is one of the few times you have a positive interaction with someone, that is, of course, if you unlock the door

Comment

Not allowed. We can call AAA or another tow service or make sure they get help. one mistake and we loose thousands in radio and computer gear.
        We are no longer allowed to jump our own cars to get them started.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          We are no longer allowed to jump our own cars to get them started.
          So if you can't jump your own cars then do you have to switch the battery?

Comment

Only allowed to jump LEO, not civilians (liability issues). Can assist them in getting someone to respond. Also not allowed to "jimmy" locks (liability issues) unless LEO.
            Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

I remembered my second question.

Are internships good ways to gain experience and insight into the police world and does that experience help in the hiring process?

Comment

yes and maybe...
                Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Yes, I think an internship would give you great insight into the policy of jump starting other vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken K
                    Yes, I think an internship would give you great insight into the policy of jump starting other vehicles.
                    BOO-YAH !
                    Charlie 31, HPPD

Comment

Two questions

Jump starts are becoming more and more rare for the reasons previously stated. Lock-outs only in the case an actual emergency. Internships can be a valuable way to see how law enforcement operates. It's not a guarantee you'll be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                        Never...we are not permitted to jump cars, too many electronics to screw up.(MDC, fancy lights, radios etc)

We actually still do lockouts. I don't mind doing them b/c it is one of the few times you have a positive interaction with someone, that is, of course, if you unlock the door
                        Same here, still do lockouts but never jumps. In the city we would sometimes not even respond to a lock out now its a big call for us . I was on a bunch during training and my trainer said Iam on my own when Iam on my own. I was happy after my first one, actually the first was where the window was down JUST enough for me to get the slim in the windiow and jimmy the lock enough. Second was an older Nissan and last one a few weeks ago was a Subaru which are actually hard because the ....
                        I got nothing for now

Comment

2 questions

Jump starts--NO! Internships? I frequently tell potential LEOs first do some ride-alongs, then if you think it appeals to you consider the Dept's. Reserve Program. Then if you decide it's what you REALLY want apply. While it's no guarantee at least you'll know what you're getting into, you've established a work history with the Dept. & they'll know something about you first-hand to make a decision.

Comment

I would become a reserve if I were old enough, but I'm not. So, in light of that fact, would you see doing an intership through my college as a winning proposition?

Comment

we dont jump because of the stuff already said, we carry jump-packs tho, and no lock out service, call a locksmith
                              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5548 users online. 331 members and 5217 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X