Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! A Couple Questions 4 Le

Hello,

I have been reading through the forums the last few days and feel they are great. I am turning 20 next month and will begin POST May 2006. I would like to know if there are any LE guys or gals that would be able to help answer two questions. First-Can some of you please send me a response on what make you like best for a handgun. I have been looking at the Springfield and Glock the most and am liking the springfield XD .40 cal the most. I would also like to know if someone is familiar with handgun laws in UT. The only reason I would like one is so that I can practice with it and get used to it before starting at the Academy and PD. I believe one needs to be 21 to purchase a handgun in UT. Can someone please tell me if having possesion of one at 20 will put me at risk of not being hired for a PD? Thank you for any comments.
    "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

Originally posted by NEXTYEAR
    Hello,

I have been reading through the forums the last few days and feel they are great. I am turning 20 next month and will begin POST May 2006. I would like to know if there are any LE guys or gals that would be able to help answer two questions. First-Can some of you please send me a response on what make you like best for a handgun. I have been looking at the Springfield and Glock the most and am liking the springfield XD .40 cal the most. I would also like to know if someone is familiar with handgun laws in UT. The only reason I would like one is so that I can practice with it and get used to it before starting at the Academy and PD. I believe one needs to be 21 to purchase a handgun in UT. Can someone please tell me if having possesion of one at 20 will put me at risk of not being hired for a PD? Thank you for any comments.
    First of all, good luck to you! I personally like the Glock .40 cal. I previously carried the Beretta .40 and was skeptical when the Dept. wanted to change, but once I fired it, I was hooked!

Secondly, not sure of the laws there, but in NC 21 to purchase, but I see no problem with being with an adult (21 or older) who allows you to practice shooting. In my opinion, it is just early exposure and training. If you had a friend in the dept willing to do this, even better!

Again Good luck to you!
    Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

First of all buying a handgun is like buying a pair of shoes, the same handgun may fit comfortably for one person and uncomfortably for the next. Get yourself over to a gun range and ask the range personnel if they can assist you in picking out a good hand gun. Don't buy a handgun because so and so said its a great gun. Try it out yourself and if you feel comfortable and competent with it, then buy it.

Comment

I took your advise and went to the local gun store and ended liking the Springfield XD .40 cal. Thanks for all your help
        "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

Comment

Originally posted by NEXTYEAR
          I took your advise and went to the local gun store and ended liking the Springfield XD .40 cal. Thanks for all your help
          Cool, G'luck with it!
          Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Couple of questions

From your post I take it you haven't been hired yet. I would suggest you check with the department(s) you're interested in, and see if they have a specific weapon requirement. Some agencies issue a particular weapon, and allow no other carry options. The real good news is, there are plenty of really high quality handguns on the market for police. My agency issued the Glock Model 22 in .40 Cal. Look around, check around, before you spend a lot of money.

Comment

True, I have not been hired yet. I have found out that most departments use the Glock 22 .40 cal. but allow a secondary gun to be used. The highway issues Glocks or Barrettas. I will look more into the deatils though. Thanks for the input

Comment

1. There is that pesky Federal Law that prevents anyone under 21 from buying a handgun.
                2. Police Academies are geared toward teaching those who have never fired a gun how to shoot. If you want to learn for your own enjoyment, fine, take some lessons. We always found it easier to teach those with no prior training, as they did not have to unlearn anything.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

I was emailed this information by another user of officer.com from Utah.

Minimum Age for Guns under Utah and Federal laws:
                  (Click on the Utah Code section for text of the law)
                  Illegal to sell a handgun to anyone under 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1); 27 CFR178.99(b))
                  Illegal to provide a handgun to anyone under 18 (Utah Code 76-10-509.5)
                  (Note- sales governed by federal law above have 21 year minimum age.)
                  Under 18 cannot possess a handgun or other dangerous weapon (Utah Code 76-10-509; 76-10-509.4)
                  Illegal to sell a rifle or shotgun to anyone under 18 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR178.99(b))
                  Illegal for a legal purchaser to buy a firearm with intent to provide it to anyone ineligible to purchase a firearm from a dealer (Utah Code 76-10-527)
                  No one under 18 can possess firearms (other than handgun) without permission from parent or guardian (Utah Code 76-10-509)
                  A parent is required to take guns away from juvenile children (Utah Code 76-10-509.7)
                  Certain exceptions for hunting, target range, under parental/adult supervision (Utah Code 76-10-512)

Comment

Howdy stranger. When we were at Shoot N' Sports, my personal preference was the Glock. As Bob mentioned, choose the firearm you are most comfortable with.

Comment

Love the Glock

I love the Glock, really love it. Just fits my hand like it was custum made. As far as being a detriment getting hired....I don't think so. As long as it is legal where you live, and your not some gun nut with an huge arsenal, I don't see a problem with it. Besides, you know what they say about gun control...being able to hit the target.
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4635 users online. 282 members and 4353 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X