300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for choosing LE

I'm thinking about submitting an application to become a volunteer for the local police department or sheriff's department and have been questioning why I'm interested in LE and not other things that have similar merits. For instance I could be a volunteer for the soup kitchen if my main interest was helping people, or I could become an attorney if my main interest was in the law and its role in maintaining peace.

What were your reasons for wanting to be a law enforcement officer and do you feel those reasons have been fulfilled?

I'm not asking for you guys to fill in the blanks for me, just interested in how you guys look at this kind of stuff after you made it into the position you are.

Corny:

Originally posted by ctt
    I'm thinking about submitting an application to become a volunteer for the local police department or sheriff's department and have been questioning why I'm interested in LE and not other things that have similar merits. For instance I could be a volunteer for the soup kitchen if my main interest was helping people, or I could become an attorney if my main interest was in the law and its role in maintaining peace.

What were your reasons for wanting to be a law enforcement officer and do you feel those reasons have been fulfilled?

I'm not asking for you guys to fill in the blanks for me, just interested in how you guys look at this kind of stuff after you made it into the position you are.
    Its corny but I've always known I wanted to be involved in law enforcement. To be quite honest, it's a calling.
    - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Reason for Editing.
      Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM.
      Work smarter not harder!

Comment

cause i needed a job and there was an opening

Comment

It IS a calling. You just know you want to do it. If you don't feel that way, you'll never make it through the down times that every officer/agency goes through.
          Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Badge whores, and a dept issued Sig

Comment

Definately a calling.

Comment

Because blue lights and guns are cool.

Comment

What about cuffs? Cuffs are cool too! (Insert angel face)

Comment

Originally posted by NJladyGlock21
                    What about cuffs? Cuffs are cool too! (Insert angel face)
                    depends on who is wearing them

Comment

Ok, so guns, lights and chicks. I think I'm set, thanks. =)

Comment

The VERY FEW times you get a genuine "thank you" or just as few times you realize you've actually made a difference does make it worthwhile. Also knowing you're doing & knowing things others just aren't able to do is kinda cool

Comment

Originally posted by ctt

When you ask a question like that here, you are going to get a response like you did. I know...I'm one of their favorite little play toys, good asnwers guys. so can you tell me some more?

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
                            When you ask a question like that here, you are going to get a response like you did. I know...I'm one of their favorite little play toys, good asnwers guys. so can you tell me some more?
                            Yeah, I figured. =)

I've read a few posts on here about wannabes, people getting into LE thinking everything will be like it is on TV, just wanting a badge and a gun, etc...

I don't think I fall squarely into any of those classifications, but some of those play into some of my interest into this. I don't think the local pd allows volunteers to carry firearms and I know that I will probably spend a lot of time just guarding gates at special events, which is fine, but I also want to get involved in something exciting once in awhile.

Either way, firefighters have lights and chicks and don't have to be the "bad guy" in situations... so what was the difference when choosing your career?

Comment

To some people it the cars,uniforms and guns etc, usually you get over that stage within the first year or two on the job. Then, in my opinion it all about making a difference no matter how slight and knowing that your doing something worthwhile.

Its an added bonus when a member of the public actually tells you so.

A year or two ago I was sitting in a cafe when a man in his late 30's walked in with his wife. They approached me and the guy says 'You still a copper' I reply 'yes', then he turns to his wife and said ' This man pulled me over so many times when I was young and kicked my arse, he the reason Im alive today".

They sat down and joined me for lunch.

That, as corny as it sounds is one of the reasons I joined.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4303 users online. 248 members and 4055 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X