300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Cst sb, I admire your attempt to add the extra charge, but we all know that the Crown is hardly ever willing to accept a challenge.

As for the original question... the Criminal Code doesn't really offer any real easy ways learning it. If you know a few of the basic sections, almost everything else can be deemed as an included offence. My favorite offence to arrest with is mischief 430(4) CC. (It basically reads: to obstruct or interefere with the lawful enjoyment of property). The code allows for such a broad definition that if you think someone is doing something that you think is wrong, it's mischief.

Good Luck learning the code.

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    The best part of the "bathroom" reading is finding different sections to try charging someone with.

I found Vagrancy about 6 months ago.

Section 179. (1) Every one commits vagrancy who

(a) supports himself in whole or in part by gaming or crime and has no lawful profession or calling by which to maintain himself.

So I arrested a guy with B&E tools and some stolen property and threw in Vagrancy as well. The guy had told me he had been a drug addict for 20 years and wasn't on the welfare system or working. He maintained his habit soley by crime. I had to sell it to my Cpl because no one has used it in years.

I even tried to get a video taped warned statement. I wanted to have the guy admit to supporting himself by crime so crown couldn't dump the charge.

He wouldn't talk, and of course dumped the charge. I like to think the crown at least used it in getting him to plead guilty.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    We had to know the sections not the sub sections and be able to look up the actual violation. My job later was screening charges filed and correcting errors by others before warrants and complaints reached the court. I was at one time an ORC walking dictionary but street cops don't need to be that good.

Repeating over and over the sections and having a buddy quiz you is the best way.

Leave a comment:

• Jabrim
    replied
    Well:

Have a small laminated copy of our codes that I carry in my shirt pockets at almost all times. Really handy when someone decides to use a code you don't normally use and throw you a curveball. lol

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    Originally posted by ya_man
    im definitly going to keep a copy of the code in the bathroom. Great idea!!
    Currently right now I am in college in a police foundations course. For about 4 classes we are currently using our code for just about everything!

Thanks for the info!

Well, good luck and go the rcmp link.. then online courses, and individualized instruction modules. There is lots of good stuff there.

If you have any question feel free to email or PM me

Leave a comment:

• ya_man
    replied
    im definitly going to keep a copy of the code in the bathroom. Great idea!!
    Currently right now I am in college in a police foundations course. For about 4 classes we are currently using our code for just about everything!

Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    The best way to memorize the code is to have a pocket version to read in the bathroom!!!

Get a pocket code and Gino Arcaro's "Basic Police Powers" work book. Can't go wrong with those two.

http://www.blueline.ca/store/books/b...2904dce5dbbb25

If you are a police officer in training or and applicant Arcaro's book is an awesome resource. I can't say enough about. If you are applying to the RCMP this book will be your unofficial bible in depot if you want an over all Superior. (It sits next to the pocket code in the bathroom!) I know someone that owns 2, one for her duty bag, and the other for home.

If you are want to know the basic offences try going through some of these of the RCMP website. Go to online courses and have fun. It doesn't cost anything and they are self marked.

http://www.rcmp-learning.org/welcome_e.htm#

Are you in the process or in training?

Leave a comment:

• ya_man
    started a topic Easy ways to memorize the code

Easy ways to memorize the code

Hey guys, i've been an active member for a while, but mainly just reading and learning tonnes!!....

I was curious as to if there is any sure fire way to learn how to read the criminal code (canadian version) and memorize the most common areas as quickly as possible?....Also, what are the main criminal offences that i should focus all my memorizing about??

Thanks

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3897 users online. 223 members and 3674 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X