300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Academy...

I'm going to be starting the Police Academy on October 3rd, 2005. So as the time draws near, I'm still kind of left wondering what to expect. I went to the orientation and all that which shed a little light on it. Looks like there is a lot of rigorous exercise. I know all the Academys are different, but I wouldn't mind hearing some of your experiences just to kind of get a general idea of what to expect. Most people seem to focus on the physical aspects of it and less on the academic. I'm most interested in how the first weeks went. I heard some mention of a three mile run. I imagine they build up to this, not that I'm out of shape, but I don't think I could run three miles yet. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback from those who have already taken this road.

Questions about the academy

You didn't mention the type of Academy you're attending( Community College,etc). If it's on the military model, you can expect serious military discipline, and a large degree of regimentation. This can be quite stressful, especially if you have no previous military experience. Whatever the setting, some things will always be constant. Academics. Be prepared to study and complete homework/term paper type projects on time. Good study habits are a must. Do not fall behind on academics. When an instructor tells you you'll see certain material again, (as in a test), believe him /her. Physical training is very important. If you're not in shape this close to the Academy, you're going to have problems. You should retain a good fitness level even if your academy doesn't stress them. Most do. Be prepared to study, and forego some downtime activities you have become used to. Develope a study routine that allows you ample time for sleep each night. You'll get as much out of the academy as you put into it.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a Community College. They referred to it as "para-military". So there will be a fair amount of formality. I don't think it will be quite like basic training but tough none the less. I'm defenitely going to make every attempt to keep myself organized and systematic in my school work. Try to beat old habits I can run a mile pretty easy, it seems like that would be a safe place to be going in. Anyway any and all advice is appreciated.

Comment

Regimentation,intimidation,scrutinizing your every move & physical discipline (as in runs,push-ups,etc.) are what you can expect. Long hours of repitition & frequent discipline for minor infractions will also be part of the cirriculum just to see how comitted you are. If you can't take this you're in the wrong job as between your bosses & the public this'll be easy GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Florida Academy

Originally posted by Tireon
          I'm going to be starting the Police Academy on October 3rd, 2005. So as the time draws near, I'm still kind of left wondering what to expect. I went to the orientation and all that which shed a little light on it. Looks like there is a lot of rigorous exercise. I know all the Academys are different, but I wouldn't mind hearing some of your experiences just to kind of get a general idea of what to expect. Most people seem to focus on the physical aspects of it and less on the academic. I'm most interested in how the first weeks went. I heard some mention of a three mile run. I imagine they build up to this, not that I'm out of shape, but I don't think I could run three miles yet. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback from those who have already taken this road.
          Tireon,

You can check out our class website, also at a community college academy in Florida (www.patthomas289.com) We have a study notes section that will most likely be the same academic material you will get if you'd like to browse through. Our academy is also "para-military", but you are correct that the physical aspect is just one part of it.

Comment

Hmm:

I'm currently in the correction's academy through Bcc and its para-military. Some of the instructors are strict and some aren't. Our PT and DT instructor is a real ball buster but a great guy. Prepare to do lots of running, if you aren't now, start running and exercising. If you're ever at the BCC campus in Titusville look up the CO academy class. hua!
            - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabrim
              I'm currently in the correction's academy through Bcc and its para-military. Some of the instructors are strict and some aren't. Our PT and DT instructor is a real ball buster but a great guy. Prepare to do lots of running, if you aren't now, start running and exercising. If you're ever at the BCC campus in Titusville look up the CO academy class. hua!
              You and me both man, I'm going to the BCC campus in Titusville on October 3rd, so we'll probably see some (if not all) of the same people. Appreciate your advice guys.

Comment

Originally posted by synstsia
                Tireon,

You can check out our class website, also at a community college academy in Florida (www.patthomas289.com) We have a study notes section that will most likely be the same academic material you will get if you'd like to browse through. Our academy is also "para-military", but you are correct that the physical aspect is just one part of it.
                By the way, this is good stuff. Thank a lot.

Comment

Not Fla, but check out my website as I have a lot of notes that could be of use to you anyway like controlled substances, ect. Most of the stuff is California specific though.

As far as running goes, get your run above 3 miles before you start. I have an excellent workout in the medical section called "US NavySEAL prep"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Just to add in my two cents...maybe just one these days, I went to an academy though a community college in Texas. The main coordinator was a retired salty dog who spent a lot of time in CID (investigations) and dealt with his share of action. His assistant was former SWAT and pretty hardcore about it. Needless to say, there was a lot of *** chewing on their part and a lot of exercise! Didn't help that we had a class with a lot of immaturity.

That being said, every academy is different. The coordinator of your academy will set the tone. I think a lot of PT (physical training) is an excellent thing. Good to develop the habit of fitness early. Too many of us are fat and out of shape. If you don't believe me, just take a look at many members of your local PD.

Comment

The thing that comes in mind when I think of the first week...
                      The recruits with no experience of standing in formation...seeing people falling face first into the ground from the corner of my eyes. Don't lock your knees

Comment

Sounds like I'm in for some exciting difficult times. Thanks for your advice everyone. I've got a week for some last minute preparations.

Paul, thanks for the link, there's a lot of good information in that group.

Comment

I was bored outta my mind....
                          it was held hap-hazard to say the least.
                          but..sept 83 to march 84
                          320 hrs in academy running consecutive to
                          320 hrs working...16 hr days for 2 months.

but it was ran like a community college class....
                          that wasthe good thing about it.

www.schackdaddy.com
                          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Yeah:

Originally posted by NJladyGlock21
                            The thing that comes in mind when I think of the first week...
                            The recruits with no experience of standing in formation...seeing people falling face first into the ground from the corner of my eyes. Don't lock your knees
                            Having your circulation get cut off is a pain in the ***. lol
                            - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

lol yeah it is i guess. Never had it happen to me but damn that's gotta hurt!
                              My academy class was video taped at each stage. They showed the video at graduation and a copy was given to each of us. It's pretty comical to watch.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5310 users online. 316 members and 4994 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X