Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you keep updated on modern municipal Law Enforcement techniques?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you keep updated on modern municipal Law Enforcement techniques?

Even though a lot of what you learn is based off of experience, do ya'll keep updated on the newest techniques in Law Enforcement? It can be anything from tactical in nature or basic Community policing processes. I am curious to know your sources be they online or hard-cover. Thank you.
    "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

I watch Barney Miller.

Comment

I would like to think that most cops keep up to date on current tactics and laws. Some of it is covered by mandated state updates, However the majority I feel falls on the officer to go out and pursue training!
      ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

As department we are mandated to remain proficient on all training we have recieved that are job related. Examples: firearms, arrest technigues, ASP, Riot control ...etc. The department personel, training officers, usually stay on top of new changes in techniques and sometimes put a small group together to really research it if its a better way of doing a certain task. If so a proposal is made to the top and if accepted, a change is made and new training is introduced. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen over night by a long shot, but it does happen.

If some new weapon system (examp: Taser) comes along and a department has a proposal for it, it is researched, priced, bitched about, politicised, turned down, rethought, and finally something happens, like a shooting that could have been prevented had a non-lethal system been in place. The public cries and then .................... Low and behold- you get training on the taser.

As for an individual level, I read up on some stuff like most officers. Unless you have a deep interest in "new" things most guys I just learn about them from word of mouth. As an officer, you can not go out and get your own training for say handcuffing to learn the newest technique just to use it at work. Legal problems will arise.

Comment

How about updates to methods of crime deterrence such as the C.O. P., P.O.P., D.A.R.E. programs and things of that nature. Let's say that I, as John Q. Public want to know what the local departments are doing and would like to read up on it. Is there documentation on this kind of thing, or do I have to go and talk to the folks at the different departments? Will this information cover my question such as re-active patrolling vs. pro-active patrolling, for example? I want more information than I would get by word of mouth I feel, so that
          "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

Az. law requires LEOs to attend a minimum 40hrs. training every year + the usual firearms qualification. In addition many officers take classes on their own for a variety of reasons to enhance their skills. While CALEA isn't always popular, I think any Dept seeking CALEA accredition must haave a mission statement as to their goals. Specific programs (D.A.R.E. etc.) aren't mandatory programs so each Dept. is different & info on their programs can be obtained through their Community Relations section or their Chief's Office

Comment

One method of staying up to date, is to become a member of different law enforcement associations. National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA), American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers (ASLET) are two that are open to individual patrol officers and are constantly reporting on new techniques, laws and procedures that affect how we do our jobs. Another way is to subscribe to several online sites that research and report on changes and up to date information. One such site is p*liceone.c*m. Some of the country's best trainers contribute on all facets of the job. The Calibre Press team is actively involved with the production of the site and it is free. If your agency won't or can't provide the training, take it upon yourself to do a little research. It's your career and life.
              Last edited by jerrymaccauley; 09-20-2005, 01:08 PM. Reason: change web address
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Sorry, I guess that was a competing website.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4335 users online. 268 members and 4067 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X