Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject complies -- force still used?!

Occasionally, COPS will show police making a felony stop because a vehicle matches the discription of one used to commit a crime. In a couple of episodes, the vehicle occupants exited the car at gun point and laid face down on the ground with arms out to their side. The officer who handcuffed the subjects either jabbed his knee into the person's back or neck.
    Of course the subject tensed up and then the officer said "just relax!"

I can understand the need to keep the subject from getting up, but I don't know to many people who can "relax" with a knee stuck in their back or on their neck. Turned out the vehicle stopped was not the one involved. Why the rough treatment when the occupants cooperated fully from the start?

If it were me, I don't think I would be satisfied with a "sorry; we couldn't take any chances."

Their are some people out there (i.e. ex-cons) who practice getting up from a proned out position. (proned out means lying on the ground)

the reason for the knee in back, or whatever method is used it to prevent them from attempting one of those maneuvers, and creating a groundfighting situation.

Hope this helps!!
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Thanks! Your explanation makes sense. I didn't realize that some suspects actually practice getting up suddenly from the prone position. I can see why the police take that precaution.

Comment

Knee in the middle of the back makes it very difficult to get up,roll over or resist. It's a great officer safety move and keeps suspect from getting hurt.

Comment

How does it prevent a suspect from getting hurt?
          "You are under arrest. Turn around and put your
          hands behind your head."

Comment

By preventing him from trying to get up and causing us to thump him
            Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

He can't move right or left or roll over and he can't reach back and get a gun etc. AND in this position he does not get the a** whipping we brought with us and the dog is less likely to bite him if we hold him still.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5232 users online. 281 members and 4951 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X