Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDGM0710
    replied
    Originally posted by JDGM0710 View Post
    This is a joke, right? SMH Try telling that to any Academy Instructor, and see what their response is.
    Sorry Guys!
    LOL I took the bait, didn't realize how old the thread was But my comment to the OP still stands.

Leave a comment:

• JDGM0710
    replied
    Originally posted by spyderdude20 View Post
    So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked.
    This is a joke, right? SMH Try telling that to any Academy Instructor, and see what their response is.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPig1
    replied
    I carried them as a cop in CA. Good tool.

Leave a comment:

• TacMac
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....
    I was joking...

Leave a comment:

• SmallTownCop89
    replied
    Why would you want to? Especially not being trained to use them. Handcuffs will jack you up, think about it. It's basically a saw blade and the last thing you want is some poop stick swinging them at your face/head.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by TacMac View Post
    Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.
    Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....

Leave a comment:

• wutzcrack3n
    replied
    Zombie apocalypse thread!

Leave a comment:

• TacMac
    replied
    Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.

Leave a comment:

• T-A-H-O-E
    replied
    Didn't realize this was so old... Whoops!

We as LEO go through an Academy and pretty much everyday end up throwing the cuff on each other practicing. My academy was 6 months, 100 days, or 22 weeks however you wanna look at it. In the academy everyone is standing stagnant "allowing" you to put hand cuffs on them, and you still mess it up. Training on foot pursuits and then cuffing someone for example: A NIGHTMARE, your tired... He's tired but still wants to fight... Your hands are sweaty... And his arms are sweaty which allows you no grip. All of those factors thrown in with Adrenaline = NIGHTMARE.

So yes you need to have proper training. In the 5 years since my academy NONE of my arrests has the person assumed the proper handcuffing position and allowed my to place the cuffs on them the right way. Also there is a lot of muscle memory that goes into cuffing some. You said you wear the cuff pouch on your belt? The first time "something" happens I can almost garuntee that the last thing that going through you head is "gotta grab my cuffs". Handcuffs can turn from "restraint" to "weapon" in a heart beat.

I think what everyone is trying to relay to you is that we as LEOs don't want to see you, a civilian, get hurt trying to cuff someone. Considering there was no need for it.

As far as the pull the trigger comment, come on now bud.... Get real with yourself. If you still need motivation read this and think about it for at least 15 minutes.

"What goes on around you... compares little with what goes on inside you."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Last edited by T-A-H-O-E; 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM. Reason: Well crap... It's 8 yrs old

Leave a comment:

• Starfleet Officer
    replied
    There I go, taking the bait before I realize it's an old thread. Disregard.
    Last edited by Starfleet Officer; 05-18-2013, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• synth
    replied
    Originally posted by spyderdude20 View Post
    I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

Leave a comment:

• bullitt48
    replied
    get a pair of cuffs, you and your gf have fun with them, and leave 'em at home attached to the bed, you'll be better off.

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    Originally posted by NSAPoland
    Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about. If it wasnt for "wannabe" and other people their would be 50% less activity on the forum and 50% less police officers. Everyone has to start somewhere, a wannabe turns into a great police officer. That one guy that said that he would arrest the person for having handcuffs in his pocket for being in possession of "criminal tools" . BS. I could tie your *** up with tooth floss , r u gonne arrest me for carrying that. I can use my belt to tie up and rape a victim , are you gonne make people stop wearing belts? Anwser the kids question politly and show respect and you will get it back. The only reason this post has come back up is because i was researching the same question for a friend. I am shocked by the amount of **** that was posted, and am glad I dont see these people on the forums much now.
    WHY oh WHY are they ALWAYS STUDENTS...?

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FNA209
    replied
    Originally posted by NSAPoland
    Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about.
    Yep, and now it's time to flame you. Your profile shows you're a student and not an LEO. I highly suggest you take a reading comprehension course. If you pass it, revisit the "Ask-a-Cop" section and read the rules.

I think they are clearly written, but maybe they are too hard for you to understand.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4048 users online. 275 members and 3773 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X