Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wannabe turns into a great police officer
    ummmm...no...many don't.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by NSAPoland
      Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about. If it wasnt for "wannabe" and other people their would be 50% less activity on the forum and 50% less police officers. Everyone has to start somewhere, a wannabe turns into a great police officer. That one guy that said that he would arrest the person for having handcuffs in his pocket for being in possession of "criminal tools" . BS. I could tie your *** up with tooth floss , r u gonne arrest me for carrying that. I can use my belt to tie up and rape a victim , are you gonne make people stop wearing belts? Anwser the kids question politly and show respect and you will get it back. The only reason this post has come back up is because i was researching the same question for a friend. I am shocked by the amount of **** that was posted, and am glad I dont see these people on the forums much now.
      His question was answered although I'm sure he'd appreciate the whining on his behalf.

BTW Floss is designed to floss teeth, belts are designed to hold your pants up, handcuffs are designed to securely restrain/control someone's hands/arms. Do you see the pattern here Sherlock? Which item would cause a cop to raise an eyebrow if it was on a civilian's person? It may not be illegal but we gave him a reality check, we did him a favor.

This is not a Disney forum- we tell it like it is. In most of our opinions the kid needed a wake up call and we had a few laughs. As far as being glad that there aren't (as you claim) many of "these people" on the forums, to that I say...Yawn. That thing under your right hand can click you to another site in 1/100th of a second if we don't get your stamp of approval.

And to answer your belief that a wannabe who carries his own cuffs would make a good cop....you are as clueless as he is. I've done dozens of background investigations and I would not look too favorably upon a civilian who carried cuffs for no apparent reason. Would that automatically wash him out- of course not but at the very least I'd question his maturity level.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
        Go ahead and buy a pair, Because you just are not going to listen.
        No they are not illegal to own and carry .... It's just plain STUPID to do it
        Former leo here:
        What he said.......FYI my handcuffs stay at home.
        Train as if your life depends on it.
        Someday it might..........Paul

Comment

Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about.
          Yep, and now it's time to flame you. Your profile shows you're a student and not an LEO. I highly suggest you take a reading comprehension course. If you pass it, revisit the "Ask-a-Cop" section and read the rules.

I think they are clearly written, but maybe they are too hard for you to understand.
          "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about. If it wasnt for "wannabe" and other people their would be 50% less activity on the forum and 50% less police officers. Everyone has to start somewhere, a wannabe turns into a great police officer. That one guy that said that he would arrest the person for having handcuffs in his pocket for being in possession of "criminal tools" . BS. I could tie your *** up with tooth floss , r u gonne arrest me for carrying that. I can use my belt to tie up and rape a victim , are you gonne make people stop wearing belts? Anwser the kids question politly and show respect and you will get it back. The only reason this post has come back up is because i was researching the same question for a friend. I am shocked by the amount of **** that was posted, and am glad I dont see these people on the forums much now.
              WHY oh WHY are they ALWAYS STUDENTS...?
              I got nothing for now

Comment

get a pair of cuffs, you and your gf have fun with them, and leave 'em at home attached to the bed, you'll be better off.

Comment

Originally posted by spyderdude20 View Post
                  I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

Comment

There I go, taking the bait before I realize it's an old thread. Disregard.
                    Last edited by Starfleet Officer; 05-18-2013, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Didn't realize this was so old... Whoops!

We as LEO go through an Academy and pretty much everyday end up throwing the cuff on each other practicing. My academy was 6 months, 100 days, or 22 weeks however you wanna look at it. In the academy everyone is standing stagnant "allowing" you to put hand cuffs on them, and you still mess it up. Training on foot pursuits and then cuffing someone for example: A NIGHTMARE, your tired... He's tired but still wants to fight... Your hands are sweaty... And his arms are sweaty which allows you no grip. All of those factors thrown in with Adrenaline = NIGHTMARE.

So yes you need to have proper training. In the 5 years since my academy NONE of my arrests has the person assumed the proper handcuffing position and allowed my to place the cuffs on them the right way. Also there is a lot of muscle memory that goes into cuffing some. You said you wear the cuff pouch on your belt? The first time "something" happens I can almost garuntee that the last thing that going through you head is "gotta grab my cuffs". Handcuffs can turn from "restraint" to "weapon" in a heart beat.

I think what everyone is trying to relay to you is that we as LEOs don't want to see you, a civilian, get hurt trying to cuff someone. Considering there was no need for it.

As far as the pull the trigger comment, come on now bud.... Get real with yourself. If you still need motivation read this and think about it for at least 15 minutes.

"What goes on around you... compares little with what goes on inside you."
                      - Ralph Waldo Emerson
                      Last edited by T-A-H-O-E; 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM. Reason: Well crap... It's 8 yrs old
                      Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God

Matthew 5:9

Comment

Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.

Comment

Zombie apocalypse thread!
                          sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by TacMac View Post
                            Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.
                            Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Why would you want to? Especially not being trained to use them. Handcuffs will jack you up, think about it. It's basically a saw blade and the last thing you want is some poop stick swinging them at your face/head.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                                Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....
                                I was joking...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4287 users online. 287 members and 4000 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X