Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

First off, not being trained properly on using Handcuffs os your first mistake. Second, in most states including Alaska, it has to be a FELONY before you can make a citizens arrest, which most likely the person(s) will have a gun and your handcuffs will not do you any good there. Second, if you do not know how to use them properly and you do "arrest" someone. You run the risk of hurting the person and then they are going to turn around and sue the **** out of you. The best thing to do is be a good witness if you see a crime and contact the authorities. Besides, who knows the person(s) may kick your butt as you "try" to arrest them...and in my 7 yrs in LE, I have never had a call to go get someone because of some "nice" citizen. There is no "defensive" purpose of handcuffs if you are not trained on them. If you do want to play billy bad guy or mister nice citizen, go into security work or LE. Don't hurt yourself or others playing mr. Hero.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

No because somebody can take them away from you and A) Handcuff You.
      B ) Beat Your A## with them.

And how do you think you could defend yourself with them ?
      As POLICE with look at somebody carrying them as a sexual perve that may be using them to rape women or kids. Are you one of THOSE ???????

Comment

Its not illegal to own/carry handcuffs..

but why would want 2?
        ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.

Comment

Go ahead and buy a pair, Because you just are not going to listen.
            No they are not illegal to own and carry .... It's just plain STUPID to do it

Comment

If you want to defend yourself, take self defense courses, or learn martial arts. Carrying handcuffs for 'protection' is about the dumbest thing I have heard on this forum in a long time. That is saying a lot as there has been dumb things posted on here a few times a week.....

And as Bodie said, if we find a civilian carrying cuffs..... red flags come up.
              Either a wannabe, or a perv.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
              United States Army
              5th Special Forces Group
              Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
              Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
              Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

Spyderdude20,

Think about it: If LEOfficers, who constantly train to use handcuffs & batons and sometimes still require several officers to handcuff a resisting suspect, (especially if they are on meth.) -- do you really want to try it by yourself?

Remember, "Better a live dog than a dead lion"

Comment

Yeah we are basically told not to handcuff by ourselves use back up to remove some of the danger. I've done it and I'm pretty damn big and in good shape and it's still a struggle.
                  So do you think somebody is going to alllow a nobody to handcugg them > They'll take them away and flat send you to the hospital when they are dome baeting and cutting you with them,

If I were the officer taking the assault report I would have tears in my eyes from laughing at how stupid you were.

Comment

Originally posted by spyderdude20
                    I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight.
                    At what point is carrying handcuffs about self defence? You have several options, the first being; avoid situations where you might need to defend yourself!

Lets face it kid, you are trying to be a hero if you buy a set of handcuffs. You are going to walk around with them in your back pocket sizing up everyone that walks by you.

My suggestion is to grow-up, because you sound like a guy that has never been in a fight, or had to defend yourself. Because if you had, you'd be a lot more eager to avoid a confrontation than looking to be slapping the cuffs on your attacker.

If you just want to show your dominance after "defending" yourself, why not hump the guy's leg like the alpha wolf you are.

Comment

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.
                      Bro, its the simple matter of knowing how to properly handcuff...but even as LEO's we must be trained on how to use them and even a security guard at Wal-mart has too! Like I said I have never had anyone, anyone make a citizens arrest...now if for some reason you live in a "rough" section on ALASKA where Felony Crimes are taking place every 5 seconds, then by all means, go play wannabe cop! But to even say if someone has a gun to your head to go ahead and pull the trigger...bro even if you tried to get into LE, you would not even stand a chance to get hired, let alone last that long on the job with that statement! Let us, the Real Police make the arrest. Thats what we get paid for. Before you even think about playing hero, you need to read up on the laws to make sure you are not breaking them yourself. And even still, even as LEO we can get sued, etc by people we arrest all the time. So be careful...if not don't do it. Get a life!
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs?
                        Maybe you should watch some of those prison videos that show cons training how to attack a LEO who is trying to cuff them. Handcuffing is about the most dangerous interaction with a suspect.
                        Keep them at gunpoint and call 911 if thats your thing.

Hell I dont even carry cuffs off duty.
                        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? .
                          I'm just an auxiliary officer and we spent a week alone on handcuffing during our training. Yes it takes training, skill, and brains. If you get stupid with handcuffing someone, your "defense" tool CAN and WILL kill you.

Comment

If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger.
                            I've been a cop for going on eight years now and I would never, ever tell someone who had a gun to my head to go ahead and pull the trigger. That is a ballsy-*** statement to make. C'mon guys, you have to agree with me on this one.....surely BODIE will agree with me on that one .
                            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Most cops who are assaulted are attacked while trying to handcuff a suspect. We have guns, tazers, asps, OC and training.

Just something to think about.

Not to mention the ramifications of unlawfully detaining someone, otherwise known as abduction in many places.

Though I gotta give props to a Pizza Hut crew for tying up a crackhead female robber with the phone cord. They had been robbed the week prior and said they didn't want to go through it again. Ballsy, but I wouldn't suggest it. It was not easy getting her untied either.
                              Last edited by webjeep; 09-18-2005, 12:15 AM.
                              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6241 users online. 253 members and 5988 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X