Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodie
    replied
    WE have had gung ho rookies throw up and some even pass out.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied
    Originally posted by MsFunsize
    Oh wait... no place here lets you go look at dead bodies... I have called quiet a few palces around where I live and no one will let me do this... anyone know of a place in washington state or oregon state that might let me? I tried explaining that I was told that I should go look at a corpse before I decided to proceed in this career.... soo... umm anyone?
    If you're "on your own" and not affiliated with a law enforcement agency or college criminal justice program, you're probably out of luck. I'd suggest taking a criminal justice course or two and asking your instructor if they have any connections with the medical examiner's office, or even a local mortuary. You might get some significant insight just by watching a body embalmed for burial.

You're smart to get some experience in this area before you decide on that career path. I've seen a number of people, both rookie cops and CJ students, get a rude awakening the first time they encountered the nastiness that accompanies death and decomposition. Just the smell is enough to make many people toss their cookies. That's one of those dimensions that doesn't come through when watching CSI and Quincy (if you're old enough to remember that one).

Leave a comment:

• lazycop
    replied
    I dont know if you have them there but maybe a body removal agency. They take the body from the crime scene, hospital, auto accident location, etc. and take it to the morgue.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    Okay

The family and the body itself need to be treated with respect and dignity even though an autoposy makes a mess of things. Morgues don't want sued because they let somebody in to look at a body.

Get a job at a morgue if you can handle that 8 hours a day then you can handle anything. Find a Dead groundhog rotting a long the road and bend down and get a good whiff. If you can handle that you can handle the CS work.

People get used to the job but they are exceptional people.

Burn some hair and imagine that 100 times worse. You never get the smell of burnt flesh out of your system. Picture a friend's body with the head in a clear bag beside it. Or worse a body cut in half at the waste after a horrenedous motorcycle crash.

Picture all this and go eat lunch at Mc Donald's and get extra ketchup.
    If you keep the food down you'll do okay.

Leave a comment:

• mach4
    replied
    You could always become a reserve officer and work the road for a bit. Most ME offices I know of won't let anyone who's not an officer in there. You could also go to your local PD and talk to the homicide det. there. They might share with you some of their old crime scene photos if you explain why you want to see them.

Leave a comment:

• Styx
    replied
    I saw quite a few dead bodies at a medical school once.........for an anatomy class. the prof just made the plans and we went. He wanted us to see what a real human body looked like inside and out. This was just a plain old undergraduate Anatomy class. It was fascinating......the smell was the only thing that really started to get to me.....the stuff they use to preserve the bodies and all. As far as newly dead bodies that have not been prepared for scientific study or burial.....good luck. There has to be a lot of legal wa-hoo to do that, I am sure. They will want to make sure you are not some whacko wanting to see dead bodies and all. I am sure you are not, but thats what you will run into.

Where will you be getting your CS tech education or whatever you will do? Call then and see if they have any tips about where you can go. Remember everybody is watching their hind-end do they wont get sued.....

Leave a comment:

• MsFunsize
    started a topic My Visit to the Morgue for CS Tech.

My Visit to the Morgue for CS Tech.

Oh wait... no place here lets you go look at dead bodies... I have called quiet a few palces around where I live and no one will let me do this... anyone know of a place in washington state or oregon state that might let me? I tried explaining that I was told that I should go look at a corpse before I decided to proceed in this career.... soo... umm anyone?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3911 users online. 225 members and 3686 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X