300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever see results?

Specifically, do you ever see any positive results of your own police work? Not so much catching the bad guy, but keeping the bad guy from wanting to break the law again? I've been in the academy for only two weeks now, but am getting a better understanding of just how much of a revolving-door system of prisons we have. Last night in class, we watched a video of prisoners who begged to not go back on the streets because they liked jail too much, and in some cases it wasn't more than a few hours before they were arrested again. Or, they plea-bargain their time down to drug-therapy and never go to it.

Do you ever have anyone tell you that their experiance with you made them straighten up and fly right? I know police work is a thankless job, and praise is not why i'm wanting to get into that field. But how often do you thinnk/feel/see that you've made a difference?
    Started POST Sept. 6, 2005

Originally posted by tango3
    Specifically, do you ever see any positive results of your own police work? Not so much catching the bad guy, but keeping the bad guy from wanting to break the law again? I've been in the academy for only two weeks now, but am getting a better understanding of just how much of a revolving-door system of prisons we have. Last night in class, we watched a video of prisoners who begged to not go back on the streets because they liked jail too much, and in some cases it wasn't more than a few hours before they were arrested again. Or, they plea-bargain their time down to drug-therapy and never go to it.

Do you ever have anyone tell you that their experiance with you made them straighten up and fly right? I know police work is a thankless job, and praise is not why i'm wanting to get into that field. But how often do you thinnk/feel/see that you've made a difference?
    all i will say, is that it sucks that the person you arrested gets bonded out before you even finish your report, and then you find out that the next shift on arrested the poor misunderstood individual again,

Comment

Its tough sometimes to deal with the same people over and over again but they way I look at it is that atleast I did my part in the community and thats all i can do and hope one out the the 10 times I arrest you maybe you will become a better person and will stay out of trouble.
      John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Originally posted by tango3
        But how often do you thinnk/feel/see that you've made a difference?
        In all honesty, not often at all. They way I see it, all the crap in the world is in a garbage can that is about to explored/overflow and we (LE) are on top trying to hold it all in. Trying to put a bandaid on a severed artery.

K9

Comment

Once in GREAT while you'll see results. In almost 30 yrs I,ve seen maybe 5 or 6 instances where I made a difference. You know what? That was enough. The situations were such that al involved were glad I was there & the civilians remembered that. This is a thankless job, newbie. The only happiness & success you receive in the job is what you create. The public,politicans & your bosses couldn't care less about you. The only difference between you & a garbageman, is that what you pickup breathes

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
            This is a thankless job, newbie.
            Now you have to call him a girls name, like Virginia or something. Scrubs is a great show!

K9

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
              Now you have to call him a girls name, like Virginia or something. Scrubs is a great show!

K9
              My name gets the feminine spelling all the time, so i'm kinda used to it already.
              Started POST Sept. 6, 2005

Comment

I ran into a guy one night at an overtime detail. Very squared away looking, clean cut, very expensive suit and great looking date. He asks if i remember him. Nope. Well, I arrested him 3 times when he was 20 years old. He was a punk, club going idiot. Well, now he owns an accounting firm, drives a Lexus and makes 5 times my salary just telling people how to spend their money. He told me that I was always fair to him and I was partly the reason why he turned his life around. Rare, but it does happen occasionally.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Do you ever see results?

You're not going to save the world. As hemi-cop noted, the politicians, and that includes Mayors,Chiefs, City managers etc, don't give a damn about you. Every once in awhile, you'll see a kid wave at you, and on rare occassions, see that perhaps you made a difference. It doesn't happen very often, so don't get your heart set on it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    You're not going to save the world. As hemi-cop noted, the politicians, and that includes Mayors,Chiefs, City managers etc, don't give a damn about you. Every once in awhile, you'll see a kid wave at you, and on rare occassions, see that perhaps you made a difference. It doesn't happen very often, so don't get your heart set on it.

you forgot your very own adminstration will turn their back on you often times as well....
                    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

And yet we still do this job Maybe it's true----after you've done this job awhile we couldn't pass the psych eval

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police

K9
                        I totally forgot how funny that show was. I have to remember to start calling my rookies girls names, unless they are girls then I'll figure out something non sexual/ funny or offensive.
                        Jerry
                        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

There isn't much opprotunity to actually "change" people.

However, there are plenty of opprotunities help victims. There's no shortage of victims!!!

You can't help everyone, and some people don't want our help. It's like they have written a script for themselves and they don't know how to rewrite it or change it.

I have seen changes in "bad guys" on an interpersonal level after interacting with them a couple times. Dothey go straight though? Nope. Most everything is tired to drugs, so until they get off of the drugs they are going to continue being a-holes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6781 users online. 363 members and 6418 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X