300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this person have a shot at LE

I'm not sure if any of you remember the story, but back in early 2000 a 5 year old boy took a loaded gun to school and killed a young girl of about the same age. Police came to realize the gun was illegally owned by his older brother.

While this was a terrible tragedy, the prosecutor understandably so, chose NOT to press charges against the 5 year old boy. For the purpose of this question we'll assume the boy has been a productive and law abiding citizen since the shooting. Would he be an automatic DQ for any future LE career?
    Last edited by IloveAmerica; 09-15-2005, 04:03 PM.

ueeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, good one,, i am not getting into this one, i'll wait for a response,

but i will say that there was no conviction and most states have laws that say untill a certain age a child can not be held accountable for what they do,,,but their parents can.

Comment

Originally posted by IloveAmerica
      While this was a terrible tragedy, the prosecutor understandably so, chose NOT to press charges against the 5 year old boy.
      No, the prosecutor couldn't press charges against him because he was 5 years of age.

Originally posted by IloveAmerica
      Would he be an automatic DQ for any future LE career?
      Probably not, but he would be competing against several other qualified candidates who have never killed anyone.
      ..life is what it is...

Comment

Yup. Must be at least 7 in Md.

Comment

My 2 cents:

I think that there would be no staright forward way to remove him so he would have to "fail" some step in the process on his own. That said: If I were the BI, I would seriously vet the Psyche test and interview. That would be the loophole to look for.

Comment

I disagree. I think the child COULD pursue a LE career because he lacked the capacity (due to age) to understand what he was doing. This a hugely different than a mentally handicapped person doing the same thing due to mental illness. I think he'd be eligible, but getting hired is unlikely

Comment

You think you could kill somebady at age 5 and not have some serious psychological problems haunting you years later? I doubt he could pass the shrinks interview.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Well ,Jerry,you're probably right.But i could hear the ACLU lawyers now : "Your Honor, my client was ONLY 5 yrs old & ONLY kileed 1 person & that was another child that provoked him & now THIS DEPT/BI/GOVT wants tostop my client from pursuing his lifelong desire & pursuit of happiness" In this day & age & things getting worse, I could see it happening

Comment

yea but there is always a way to "do away with" an applicant, just like people who slow down when they see a cop car,,if he wants to pull you over, he will find a way.. and it will be a legit reason for getting rid of "him" so they can argue all they want, as long as the papers dont say anything about race or sex. then how can you argue it,,*successfully*

Comment

would this person have a shot at LE ?

Short answer, probably yes. At age five, the person is not accountable for his actions. While the incident is not one he would want to list on an application, it must be included. What's going to be of paramount importance is the individual's record,(or lack of one) since the incident. A BI will likely go over him with a fine tooth comb, but yes, it is possible.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5034 users online. 321 members and 4713 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X