Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tcleose Certification

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tcleose Certification

    I'm looking forward to getting this certification at a local college, what are the general requirements to maintain this certification..do i have to get retested every year or something? BTW, is getting state certified on your own a good Idea and how does this academy differ from department sponsored academies?

  • #2
    Originally posted by propilot5000
    I'm looking forward to getting this certification at a local college, what are the general requirements to maintain this certification..do i have to get retested every year or something? BTW, is getting state certified on your own a good Idea and how does this academy differ from department sponsored academies?
    there are several texas officers on here that would be more accurate than me, but two yrs ago i was going to challenge the tx certification, i am from okla, and i was told that after passing it, i had two yrs to get picked up somewhere, but dont know if its the same after leaving an academy,
    the probl with private or school run academies is that you may spend all that money and not have a job,, very probable,,,, the probl that i see with colleg acads. is that mostly teachers teach them,,not officers, how can a teacher tell you how to be an officer, never understood that part.
    but it does seem that there are several depts in texas that wont talk to you unless you are already certified, so,,, what can you do,,,just take a gamble i guess. good luck to you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gotthblues
      there are several texas officers on here that would be more accurate than me, but two yrs ago i was going to challenge the tx certification, i am from okla, and i was told that after passing it, i had two yrs to get picked up somewhere, but dont know if its the same after leaving an academy,
      the probl with private or school run academies is that you may spend all that money and not have a job,, very probable,,,, the probl that i see with colleg acads. is that mostly teachers teach them,,not officers, how can a teacher tell you how to be an officer, never understood that part.
      but it does seem that there are several depts in texas that wont talk to you unless you are already certified, so,,, what can you do,,,just take a gamble i guess. good luck to you.
      I guess its the only way for me because I mainly want to work patrol in small towns but about 90% of the ones I'm looking at don't have their own academy and require the Tcleose Certification.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by propilot5000
        I guess its the only way for me because I mainly want to work patrol in small towns but about 90% of the ones I'm looking at don't have their own academy and require the Tcleose Certification.
        may be,, i would also check into a dept. and see if they will sponsor you, you would still have to pay, but this way you would stand a better chance of getting hired,, but yea, that sucks,,,,
        seeevral yrs back i was about to graduate and i looked at a pd down in tx...they handed me an appl,,, then asked if i was certified, i said no,,, and they snatched it back from me,,,what the crap,,,
        depending on where you are at, you might loook into a bigger pd,,, i know that plano, garland, irving, mesquit, and down south, temple, killen, round rock, share an academy,,not huge cities but still might be worth lookin into,,they are more apt to hire a non certified,

        Comment


        • #5
          TCLOSE Certification

          Many smaller agencies will want you to be certified prior to applying. Be certain that the college/academy you attend is recognized by TCLOSE. The way the system works, or at least used to, is this. You recieve a certificate of completion from the academy you attend, and then you take the TCLOSE exam. This is a pass/fail type test. If you pass, you recieve your TCLOSE certificate.

          Comment


          • #6
            Texas requires 40 hours of training every two years. Part of the required training are core classes, investigative topics, identity theft, multi-cultural awareness, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head. After you get your basic license you get your intermediate, advanced and master certification. You must complete certain additional classes in addition to your required classes. Tcleose has a web site which has all of the requirements listed out for you, sorry I don't know the address off the top of my head. As far as the advantages of paying for your own academy, some agencies want and require it and others don't. I don't think any agency will have any problem with it because you saved them the cost of sending you, but you should expect to go through some type of in house agency specific training or mini-academy. Hope this helps, good luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              I put myself through academy but was working in a S.O. jail at the time so they picked up my commission as soon as I passed TCLEOSE. I was at a in-service school recently and was informed that the rules have changed as far as getting picked up by an agency within 2 years of certification. Another student has been working outside of LE for 3 years now but keeps up with his cert. by mandatory training just like a full time officer and is able to remain certified, but I have not verified this. Here is the TCLEOSE website: www.tcleose.state.tx.us

              Your mandatory classes are:
              Asset Forfeiture, Racial Profiling, Identity Theft, Special Investigative Topics, and Cultural Diversity. Every 4 years.

              To obtain an Intermediate P.O. cert.:
              Use of Force, Spanish for Police, Child Abuse and Neglect, Crime Scene Search, and Arrest, Search, and Seizure.

              After you finish your core courses for Intermediate P.O. you must have a certain number of years of service to get it. Having a 2 or 4 year degree cuts down the years of service requirements. I've got a 4 year degree and I recieved my I.P.O. after 2 years instead of 4, and my Advanced P.O. in 4 years instead of 8. I think I'll get my Master P.O. at 10 or 12 years instead of 20. Not sure how much a 2 year degree cuts it down.
              The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
              Ronald Reagan

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sorry I got a bit confused here....the higher certificates from the basic one are required aswell? when are those needed?

                Comment


                • #9
                  No, the Basic Peace Officer Cert. is the only one you "need". However you have to take continuing education anyway, so might as well take the Intermediate Core Courses (ICC) and progress your certification upward. I know people who have more years of service but I have a higher certification because I took the ICC. After you recieve your Intermediate Certification you do not need to take any other special courses to proceed to Advanced then to Master just your basic 40hrs every 2 years.
                  The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                  Ronald Reagan

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 6030 users online. 331 members and 5699 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X