Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep your mouth shut after getting hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your mouth shut after getting hired?

I have seen in a number of threads now, folks saying to newly hired individuals to "keep their eyes open and their mouths shut" after they start their new job. I can understand keeping thier eyes open, and to a certain degree the mouths shut part. But, over the years I have trained alot of people in my current profession and I have found that the folks who ask questions tend to learn better than the ones who do not. Stupid questions while annoying, identify the weaknesses in an individual and provide a very good basis for what areas need to be worked on the most.......So do you really want to have new hires keep their mouths shut or is that a way of saying...welcome to my world now, listen and learn? Thanks folks.
    "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

I wouldn't say keeping your mouth shut was a way of saying don't ask questions. Its better to ask if you don't know. I think what people mean by that is when you are new to a job the veteran officers you work with are not interested in your opinion. If they are, they will ask you.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Actually, I found that the questions often point out deficiencies in my training methods. Hopefully, I can do a better job of getting the information across if I know where the learning curve is.
      Jerry
      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

By saying keep your mouth shut, we're not talking about not asking questions that pertain to LE. We are talking about the new guys who come into the field w/ a know-it-all attitude. The ones that try to hard to "fit-in." I think most cops know the kind of people I'm talking about.

Stay Safe!!
        ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee
          By saying keep your mouth shut, we're not talking about not asking questions that pertain to LE. We are talking about the new guys who come into the field w/ a know-it-all attitude. The ones that try to hard to "fit-in." I think most cops know the kind of people I'm talking about.

Stay Safe!!

Exactly! What he said.
          Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee

Stay Safe!!
            I second what ScooterLee said. I remember what my FTOs told me that they got rid of 3 FNGs before me because of personality and the "I just can't STFU" syndrome because they wanted to fit in so bad, that they started talking like buddies with everyone, including the Veteran Sergeants and Lieutenants - which is a humongus NO-NO!

They didn't even get the chance to finish the FTO program and they got booted quick, fast, and in a hurry.
            "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Keep your mouth shut after getting hired.

By tradition and custom. rookies do not have the right to an opinion. That doesn't mean they should not ask questions. If you're in an FTO Program, part of your FTO's job is to answer questions. I think the thrust of the thread here is to advise newbies not to try too hard to fit in. Acceptance is a gradual process, and this is where silence can be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                Actually, I found that the questions often point out deficiencies in my training methods.

That is a very good point as are all of the answers I read. Do you tend to see a difference in between the ages of the newbies? I am 37 and while I have no LE experience I have other experience that could be useful. I DO NOT want to screw something up by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time but I am not a snot nosed punk with no idea how the world works either. I know when to pipe up or shut up, especially when learning a new skill set. I am going to get into this feild (LEO) eventually and every little bit of information helps along the way. Thanks folks.
                "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

phillipcal

Your right on that. Even guys that have 4,5,6 years are still considered rookies, and don't have an opinion. It doesn't matter what you know or think you know, your higher senority officers are not wrong. I had one guy who came into are dept. with a CJ degree. He thought he knew it all....untill one day, one of our vetran officers took him out on a call,,,,,he was in a gang fight situation, I never saw a man cower soo fast. He didn't know where to look or what to do, I remember the LT. telling him, "what's the matter, you didn't have time to look up what to do in your shcool books", from that point on, all he did was keep his eyes open and his mouth shut......Simple lesson, don't act like you know it all,,,,,,,,,and ask your fellow officers if you really have an important question. The job is 90% On the job traning.....

Comment

we had a guy/kid,,whatever, that had 4 degrees from the university of oklahoma,,,woooohooooo, big deal,, his pompass *** only last 5 wks through the fto program,,,

Comment

I always ask questions in my job and always have (non LE related). It definitely is the only way for me to learn quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                        Acceptance is a gradual process, and this is where silence can be golden.
                        Being an FNG myself, I keep my mouth shut, ears and mind open at all times. Speak only when spoken to, and absorb all the advise and ideas being shared to me by FTOs, fellow Officers, and other Senior Ranking Officers.

As PhillipCal said, acceptance is gradual process. When you think you're not being watched, think again. Even if you're out there on the street, they're listening to you over the radio and see how you handle and conduct yourself. And yes, they talk amongst themselves about YOU.

And that's one of the advantages I have over some candidates, being a Marine Grunt for 12 years I know how it works when it comes to this kind of environment. You gotta STFU and earn it!
                        "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
                          I always ask questions in my job and always have (non LE related). It definitely is the only way for me to learn quickly.
                          asking a question is one thing, course if you ask to many, you get the oll "go look it up",,, but what they are talking about here, is new officers acting and speaking as if they already know it all, if their sgt tellls them to do it this way, they argue with him, cause they have a better idea,, or sitting in the breifing room cutting up and what not.

however, on an off note, i do miss messing with the FNG,, if he left his report folder or hat unguarded at the table, who knows where the hell he will find it at....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3417 users online. 164 members and 3253 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X