300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about vocabulary on police test

I work for a local city police station, and I am a jailer at the moment. All I have to do is pass the written exam and i will be promoted to the road, but i have taken it once and failed it. I had alot of trouble on the vocabulary part.The test would list a word then have four words below it, and u had to match up the word that best goes with it. Such as arrest, expedite. Does anyone have any sugestions on where I can find words that are commonly used on written exams so I can pass the test?Thanks for any help.

No but I would suggest getting a book on English grammar, and try reading a thesaurus.

Comment

Thesaurs would be best. Boring as hell, but try reading your penal code in your spare time (like sitting on the toilet).
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Vocabulary on police test.

Looking up words in a dictionary/thesaurus is about as exciting as watching paint dry. If you want to pass that exam though, you'd better get started. Another thought I'd pass on is to purchase an "Arco" exam book. They have one specifically for police officer. In it, you'll find some study guides, as well as at least one sample exam to practice on. You should be able to find one in any good bookstore, and the price isn't too bad. Also, try to develop an interest in reading. You'll be surprised how this can improve your vocabulary.

Comment

Just find a good novel that looks interesting and read it, read of few of them in your spare time. You will be amazed at how much your grammar and vocabulary will improve just by reading. It beats the hell out of a thesaurus too.
          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yeah, forgot about the Acro books, good choice.
            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Go to the used college bookstore and pick up the "harbrace" (I think that is the name of it) English book. It is about 6 inches tall and covers everything you'll need to know about English.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2854 users online. 150 members and 2704 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X