300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question

My brother is interested in applying to departments. He's 29, a Marine Corps Iraqi combat vet, and highly decorated. The thing is, when he came home from Iraq, he went out one night and drank too much with his buddies. He drove his car about two blocks, realized he couldn't drive, pulled over and went to sleep. Long story short, he got arrested for DUI. However, he worked with the prosecutor in Virginia and pled guilty to reckless driving. Thing is, in Virginia they count reckless as bad as DUI so he did five days i county.

My question is, under these circumstances, and him actually pulling the vehicle over and using somewhat good judgment, does he have a prayer to get on any department.

Originally posted by AJK0108
    My brother is interested in applying to departments. He's 29, a Marine Corps Iraqi combat vet, and highly decorated. The thing is, when he came home from Iraq, he went out one night and drank too much with his buddies. He drove his car about two blocks, realized he couldn't drive, pulled over and went to sleep. Long story short, he got arrested for DUI. However, he worked with the prosecutor in Virginia and pled guilty to reckless driving. Thing is, in Virginia they count reckless as bad as DUI so he did five days i county.

My question is, under these circumstances, and him actually pulling the vehicle over and using somewhat good judgment, does he have a prayer to get on any department.
    first, i am thankful for his service, *and kinda good judgement not to drive any further*, however, no, he doesnt have a prayer, every dept. i have looked at applyiing to, or just looked at for the fun of it, a dui, license suspension, is an auto DQ for at least 5 yrs, some say as much as 10yrs, plus his age is going to be real bad, he's 29 and used poor judgement, its one thing if you are 16 or even 18, but 29,,,plus most depts/ retirement systems, have a cut off age limit, not all, but most do, that would put him to old once the time limit has passed, last thing, the "time limit" that you must wait before you are elligable to apply, is a bare minimum,,usually they still wont look at you untill even a couple yrs have passed the minimum time frame,
    *but this is just my opinion, and what i've read/heard so on* the above would apply at my former department.

Comment

Thanks for your service!!

However, most depts. are going to require that you have no DUI convictions, etc.. on your record for at least the past 5 years.
      It has alot to do not only w/ you as a person, but for Insurance purposes.

I would suggest obtaining a job in a related field, i.e. loss prevention, dispatcher, etc... until time passes.

good luck

p.s. Don't make the same mistake twice!!

ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Dui

The things is, he doesn't have a DUI conviction on his sheet. He got it changed to reckless driving just for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AJK0108
          The things is, he doesn't have a DUI conviction on his sheet. He got it changed to reckless driving just for that reason.

Since they KNOW it was a DUI they may treat it as such. If not then they will treat it as a misdo offense. Here that that would be a DQ for for at least three years..

TGY
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

AJK, get your bro on here to ask the questions man. So that he can know what to ask and seek the correct advice for him to enhance his career, etc...but congrats on assisting him. Even with his military background, which helps at some departments, good for him. Although, the "wreckless driving" will be seen as a DUI as previously posted and being that he was arrested and did spend sometime in jail may be a Disqualifier to some departments, but not all. The best thing for him to do is when applying, talk with a recruiter, etc to see if this "bad thing" on his record will DQ him or not. Other then that, good luck.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4020 users online. 255 members and 3765 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X