300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Vehicles.

For off duty officers or ones going to and from work, can you outfit a personal vehicle with strobes, reds and blues in your state? I think here where i am in FLA you can and same where i grew up in New York. I dont see why anyone would use it tho. Can a off Duty Officer light a person up in his personal vehicle? Or what if you roll up on a accident that just occured or see a fight on the street. could you turn on ur strobes and lights? I mean, who is going to say anything to you? Thanks... the reason i ask is I am going into the LE Field withing the next few months and it soulds funny but i have had a sheriff or two ask me (A ASE Certified Bodyman) to install Lights and Siren on there trucks and cars. Am i allowed???? Can i put them on my car when I work for the sheriffs dept.?
    X8

i think they want the lights for saftey reasons. i was thinking about mabey strobes and a yellow LED or a Blue LED light bar in the window. this officer wanted to go with a red and blue LED dashlight and strobes. i told him that if we can make it so you cant see it when there inactive and off then you would be ok... but to show them off is asking for trouble.......
    X8

Comment

In the "Squad Room" this has been discussed in-depth quite frequently. Now, while you cannot post there, read the topic and I think you will get out of it what you truly need to know!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Off-duty IS off-duty. If you need a cop that badly,buy a cell phone so you can call someone who cares

Comment

We get this question almost every week from a Wannbe or two. NO IN OHIO you can't and why would you. AND real cops don't drive old worn out Crown Victorias for PV's either.

If you want lights all over your car move to rural OHIO and become an unpiad volunteer firefighter.

If a REAL cop here deacked out his or her car that way 1.) They would be written up because this is not allowed. 2.) They would be sent to looney farm.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
            Off-duty IS off-duty. If you need a cop that badly,buy a cell phone so you can call someone who cares

Nothing like making yourself a target too.

If your "buddy" isn't satisfied by driving around for a shift in a big lit up bulls-eye, tell him to pick up some OT.
            In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

Personal vehicles

Let me add another consideration concerning equiping your POV as a police car. Insurance. If your liability carrier finds out you were using your POV as a police car, they'll probably cancell you, and probably would not cover you in the event of an accident. When you're off duty, stay that way. As noted previously, take a cell-phone with you to call 911. Remember too, cops make good witnesses.

Comment

At least when I lived in NY many years ago {only 10} a civilian CAN NOT put red and blue lights in a POV. Even when I was a volly, I could only use aq blue light and then I still had to obey ALL traffic laws even if going to the FD for a call. I was NOT a paid pro, in a state or regulated emnergency vehicle. Same in PA now, I jsut dont want to look it up. Only the chief or *** chief I think can use red lights and go code to a call. Not to the market or something, only official business of a fire call.
                I got nothing for now

Comment

If you're serious about getting on, make sure to ask in your interview if you get to put red and blue lights in your personal car!! (We'd rather catch the red flags BEFORE we invest too much time/money in an applicant.) Good Luck.

Comment

DORKS !!!!!!!

DON'T outfit your personal car..

If you have that much extra money lying around, go invest it for your future.. Or give it to me..

Stay Safe!
                    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

thanks for the input everyone. Its funny i was telling this to my buddy who just graduated the acadamy and he was like.... THESE GUYS ARE RIGHT HUH.... HAHAH. thanks again
                      X8

Comment

in oklahoma, you can, but i also dont know why you would, i know of sheriffs depts, that do to use them off road, drug raids and whatnot, also the sheriff and cheif of the pd i was at both did, but they had the option of using a marked unit, or buying a car and decking it out and being reembursed for the price of the car.. for these two situations, i could see why, but again, i wouldnt want to use my truck to haul a lab or anyother of the nasty crap you sometimes find,. but thats me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5366 users online. 308 members and 5058 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X