300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice for oral board

hello fellow officers.. i am traveling west in 3 weeks to test for a dept in kansas... i am sure the oral board will be very different from the one i took in the smalll town i work for.... i am just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what type of questions i should expect at the oral board... it is afairly large city so i am sure they go by a standard ... all help is welcome...thanks in advance
    str8fighter

ttt ttt ttttt tttttt
    str8fighter

Comment

1.) Suit and tie-NO EXCEPTIONS

2.) When you walk in don't sit down until you're told to do so. Acknowledge officers who have rank ie: when they introduce themselves as Lieutenant So-and-so or Sergeant So-and-so respond with something like "Good morning/afternoon Lieutenant/Sergeant/Detective/Deputy/Officer/etc."

3.) Think about what you're going to say before you say it. It's not how fast you answer but how consise your answer is. If it is a "situational question" oral board, alot of situations that they may give you are the "no win" type. What they're looking for is, can you use common sense.

4.) DO NOT under any circumstances change your answer, it shows indecision.

5.) If you don't know the answer, don't try and lie your way through it.

6.) Some boards are the "hostile" type trying to rattle you by arguing with your answer to see how you react, if you lose you composure-forget it.

7.) Also, just my opinion, but it looks professional if you bring in a leather folder (get one at Office Depot for about $10.00) with a notepad and pen if they give you information at the end of the interview you won't have to ask for something to write with ie: coming in unprepared.

Good luck, hope it helps.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

thanks edge 103.. i take it you have been there before.... anybody else have anything????
        str8fighter

Comment

Originally posted by str8fighter
          thanks edge 103.. i take it you have been there before.... anybody else have anything????
          I can't speak from experience, but from seeing these types of threads before, and using common sense I think searching online for sample oral board questions would be a good idea. Review them and make sure you are able to clearly answer each of them. Also, I don't know your knowledge on the department your interviewing for, but maybe check out their website and find out who their chief is and anything else that someone in your position should know about the department in which you want to work for. Good luck by the way.

Comment

Yes, I've been on both sides of the table.
            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

this part of the process is what scares me most,, i really dont know why.. i dont have a problem speaking to people.. iguess it is just knowing that this group of complete strangers stands between you AND ajob you really want... ..and it is o to be yourself.usually but you also have to try to impressd the panel......oh the stress!!!!
              str8fighter

Comment

Advice for Oral Board

Dress properly. This means coat and tie, shined shoes, attention paid to personal grooming. Hard to predict, but some oral boards will have at least one "hostile" member. He/she will attempt to rattle you, and will probably ask you at least one question that there is no correct answer to. Phrase your answers carefully, and use good grammar. Oral boards have built in bull **** detectors, so don't even try. Look sharp, be honest. Good luck.

Comment

this part of the process is what scares me most,, i really dont know why.. i dont have a problem speaking to people.. iguess it is just knowing that this group of complete strangers stands between you AND ajob you really want... ..and it is o to be yourself.usually but you also have to try to impressd the panel......oh the stress!!!!
                  I agree....it is stressful. But personally I don't enjoy the background stuff. You may get DQ'd and no one ever tells you why, at least on an oral board you can usually tell right away but watching the faces on the panel.

Don't stress too much. Take a deep breath before you enter....woo saa.....woo saa
                  Ronald Reagan

Comment

EDGE 103 gave the best answer I've heard in a long time. The only thing I can add & I think it's relevant & proper--is that when you go in there convince yourself you believe in your answers and that you're the best person for the job. Don't come off "cocky", just that you know your place in that room.Years ago I got passed over by an agency because they said I seemed too indecisive.I never forgot that..........Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
                      EDGE 103 gave the best answer I've heard in a long time. The only thing I can add & I think it's relevant & proper--is that when you go in there convince yourself you believe in your answers and that you're the best person for the job. Don't come off "cocky", just that you know your place in that room.Years ago I got passed over by an agency because they said I seemed too indecisive.I never forgot that..........Good Luck
                      Thank you. But I am by no means an expert. I've just been on both sides of the table enough times to recognize patterns on what they (the board) are looking for. Good advice, if you come off as "cocky", see ya! I feel that it's better to not know the answer and admit it, than try and fake it and look like a schmuck with an attitude. A good FTO will get you the answer and train you well, but if you think you already know the answers because you just got out of academy-you've got another thing coming. First day of my academy the director told us that "all this does, is gets you to pass the state exam, your real training begins your first day on the street". I've never doubted that for a second.
                      Last edited by edg103; 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM.
                      Ronald Reagan

Comment

thanks for all the info guys..... i will keep it all in mind..
                        str8fighter

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4054 users online. 257 members and 3797 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X