300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna know about Ohio academies , read me

I have seen a TON of posts over the last week or so about Ohio academies, and since im probably never going to get hired even though i graduated with honors. I guess i can weight in. POLICE ACADEMY COMMANDERS WILL LIE. they want your 3000 dollars. remember they get paid not by how many they get jobs, but by how many people they can get to enroll. I was told by an academy staff member that 75% of the students that graduate open enrollment get jobs. Well as of this day my count tells me 2 of the 30 open enrollees is a sworn officer right now. I am sure they are telling you that you can work as a sworn officer at age 20 or whatever, just not burdening you with the details that you dont need an academy certificate to do it. Hek i had a sherriffs dept ID at age 19, working in the records room. Also just for fun, i called every academy within 200 miles of mine, and asked these 3 questions. 1. What % of ur open enrollment students graduate.. All had an answer, around 90%. 2. What % of your students are already sworn and sponsored before enrollment all answered between 5-10% .. and 3. What % of your students that grad open enrollement never get hired and lose all their money.... TO a F'N person every single answer was "we dont keep that statistic.... " very very discouraging to a person who has sent over 25 resumes, and still cant even get a volunteer job. Oh well I guess its off to florida, at least the corruption there starts once u get hired, not before you even graduate.

I hate to say I told you so but this is what I have been preachin' to deaf ears for years. In Ohio we should not allow this to happen there should not be anybody allowed to go through OPOTC Basic Peace Officer without firts being a sworn law enforcment officer.

Meaning if you ahve not got a job as a cop you don't get to attend.
    Some of these so called academy "commanders" are getting rich.

Comment

Well Bodie, you were right. I mean i still may get lucky but it aint lookin good. I can always tutor on the state exam. my score in the high 90's is nothing they can take away, and for the last 11 yrs the SPO's have remained the same.

Comment

I attended an academy that had about 25 "open" enrolment students. I graduated in august of 2003. As of today, 3 of them have full time police jobs. Others work aux for small depts, and others work 8-16 hours a week at small village depts, just to keep their certification. Most are driving armored cars or loading / unloading ATM's. The State of Ohio needs to put an end to this. These academy's are flooding the market with graduates that, in all honesty, dont have very good odds of being hired. They are taking advantage of young people, whose only crime is wanting to be a Police Officer. I wish I could stand outside one of these academys on admission " interview" day, and explain to these kids that they would be much better off just getting their degree, and then applying to dept's. I know what theses "commanders" told my buddies that went open enrollment, and I know they didnt mention how many people that graduated their academy are working security 3 years later. Any Dept. that you would want to work for will send you too an academy AFTER they hire you.
        Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Comment

My academy graduated 30 open enrollment students . of those 30 1 is hired full time, and 1 is hired seasonal at an amusement park the other 28 are still looking/waiting. And there is another class of 36 open enrolees waiting to graduate in a few short months. And they are gonna start another class in early Janruary. I admit im sorry i did it, at 30 yrs of age i took a leave of absence from a govt job, to do try to make a diffference, in a world where nobody cares. The stress of the academy itself, along with the money, and everything has brought my new marriage to the brink of divorce. Had they told me in the beginning that there were literally no jobs. i would have not done this. And one last thing, outta the mouth of one of the academy Lt's he said "u can take this certificate and move to florida and be working tomorrow, i say HORSE****.. find me a florida dept that takes ohios peace officer academy grad certificate as good enough to get hired, and your a better man than me. IT WAS A BOLD FACE LIE. To transfer to florida, and not re take their academy, you need to be sworn for at least 1 year. the ohio academy certicate in other states is worth less than the stamp sent to mail it. in any other state in ohio, contrary to what the academy staff tells you.

Aux

Comment

For what its worth, Im an instuctor in 2 academies in Ohio. I have to agree w/ Bodie, we should stop the "open enrollment." We are simply taking people's money and send them hoping that they get a job. I have seen people going thru the academy who have learning disabilities and are obviously not going to be able to get a job!! On the other hand, a large majority of departments in the State will not accept an applicant unless he/she is "certified" thru OPOTC. So, until the open enrollments stop, then we will not be able to change depts. selection process.

In my experience, I have seen that most recruits work for a small agency as either auxillary or part time for a year or so, build some experience and then move on to a larger agency. But, I have seen about 30% of the recruits never get a job within the 1st year.

Good luck!!

Stay Safe!
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

But just because you have a Letter of Completion does not mean otrherwise you qualify to get hired.

Too many people think and BELIEVE that jsut because they go through a self sponsered school they will magically qualify to be a police officer and that is 360 degrees from the truth.

Comment

There is no way open enrollement is ever going to stop. Its a huge moneymaker for OPOTA and the school running it. Esp a lot of these community college academies. They have instructors come in and really dont have to pay them anything. I cant tell you how many times in 18 weeks i heard the phrase " As you go on to your respected departments"..... Even when i asked if they help you find a job, they said they did, which amounted to clipping test notices outta the newspaper, and putting them on the commanders door. Just not cool at all.

Comment

The only thing a school COMMANDER can do is write a letter telling the department you completed the class and that carries no weight. The guy does not know you. Unless you completed the hiring process successfully nothing helps.

Comment

We were told over and over and over and over, throughout the whole 18 weeks that our Commanders word was gold, and that without his recomendation or a recomendation letter from him, that graduate or not you can flush your law enforcement career down the drain. In other words Commander dont like you, graduate or not, you aint gettin hired. One other thing i forgot to mention, there is really no selection process for a self sponsor student. A quick CCH and ur in. I dont understand how if an academy commander doesnt like you, that your dq'd, cause they told us that every police dept u ever apply to will call and request to see your academy student profile. Any thoughts ????

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5024 users online. 279 members and 4745 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X