300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Become A Police Officer?

I'm a sophmore college student at UNC Charlotte and over the summer I did a good bit of thinking about what I want to be. I already have a strong desire to work with video games but I just dont know sometimes. Over the summer I realised I would like to do something really important. Like I wanted to work in the government or help people somehow and so I thought Id like to be a firefighter or police officer but I dont know. Im not sure how to tell if I really want it or if Im just dreaming.

Recently Ive been watching cops a lot and a lot of what I see looks like something Id like to do. I know its not all car chases and what not tho and I think the other parts would interest me too. I remember when there was a heat wave here and the police walked around to people's houses without AC and made sure they were ok and told them they could go to the fire station if they wanted to be in the AC. That seemed really cool to me. Im good with people so id have no problem helping citizens who need it and talking to people who need talking to.

So I dont know. I think Id like to do it but choosing a career is a huge decision and im sure being a cop isnt for everyone. And I could be looking at it wrong.
    Could anyone offer any advice?
    How can I know if being a cop is right for me?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

From doing this for a while I've learned this little bit of free wisdom.

If you do not have a Strong Desire, then don't do it. You'd be wasting Taxpayer dollars for your training and equipment.... and man hours to field train you.

Every LEO I've come across that didn't have that corny reply "I've wanted to be a Policeman since I was a young kid", never stayed in more than a couple of years.

My .02
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

^ This man speaks the truth.

If you don't want to be a police officer over all else, it probably isn't for you.

There is way to much stress (internal) and chance of other unsightly aspects that make it something you either love or leave.

Comment

For most people being a cop is not a carrer choice, it's a calling. Something inside of them motivates them to do it above all else. I'll agree with acreature that those that do enter LE with out that desire usually leave within a few years or they end up bitter.

You seem to have a desire to help people, maybe try something in the medical field.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 49erguy
          Recently Ive been watching cops a lot and a lot of what I see looks like something Id like to do.
          First thing's first. Don't think that COPS represents what goes on 99% of the time at 99% of agencies out there.
          "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
          Matthew 11:28

Comment

Go to some local police departments and fill out a waiver to go on a ride along. Try going to a small department then maybe try to go to a big city department. It's the best way to see what the average day of a police officer is like. I went and even though I sat in traffic court for 2 hours waiting on a defendant that was an hour late, I still enjoyed every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
              First thing's first. Don't think that COPS represents what goes on 99% of the time at 99% of agencies out there.
              Oh I know haha Most of it looks cool but I know its rare. I guess its because I live in Charlotte I think it is somewhat truthful. We have a rising crime rate and I live near the ghetto so I know whats going on. I see "people on the corner" and what not and I hear sirens an average of 5 times a day which is totally new to me because Im originally from Concord (Semi-small town) but I figure they gotta be going after some punk or maybe to a car wreck or something.

Comment

Oh I know haha Most of it looks cool but I know its rare. I guess its because I live in Charlotte I think it is somewhat truthful. We have a rising crime rate and I live near the ghetto so I know whats going on. I see "people on the corner" and what not and I hear sirens an average of 5 times a day which is totally new to me because Im originally from Concord (Semi-small town) but I figure they gotta be going after some punk or maybe to a car wreck or something.
                Charlotte's an awesome city. I say definitely try to go on a ride along with their PD. You can request to go on any shift, and I think you should be able to tell them what area you'd like to patrol in and they should be able to set you up with an officer in that precinct.

Comment

Originally posted by acreature
                  From doing this for a while I've learned this little bit of free wisdom.

If you do not have a Strong Desire, then don't do it. You'd be wasting Taxpayer dollars for your training and equipment.... and man hours to field train you.

Every LEO I've come across that didn't have that corny reply "I've wanted to be a Policeman since I was a young kid", never stayed in more than a couple of years.

My .02

Boy, I think youre right.. What he said!
                  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

My interest and desire to pursue LE started within the past half year to a year. But now, I can't think of anything else I'd rather do. I got involved in music in middle school, picked up the drums, became decent I guess. I thought that's what I wanted to do, either playing drums or mixing and producing music (like my dad does) but now I think that is just something I'd like to do as a hobby on the side. It's too hard to make a decent living doing that unless you're A.REALLY good at what you do, B. Have great connections or C. Just plain lucky. I think I'd rather do LE though if I could automatically be placed in one of the two occupations making a half decent living.

Comment

Should I become a Police Officer.

As one guy said one time, "throw the line in the water and fish". Check with your local LE agency and see if they have a ride along program. You might also want to check into a Reserve Officer program. You mentioned attending UNC. Check with the Campus Police, you might be able to ride along, or possibly do some interning. Many college campuses have very pro-active police agencies, and most of these have a strong "service" aspect. To restate Chief Wiggum's advice, and do I ever agree, law enforcement is a calling, and to use a little scripture, "Many are called, few are chosen". Take a good look at LE. If you discover down the road, that it's not for you, or you're not for it, there's absolutely no dishonor. Go for it.

Comment

Its definately a "calling." Every decent human being wants to help people. But within that group there is that fraction of a percent who is willing to sign up and put up with society's crap and go toe-to-toe with the scumbags. Remember, you will be unappreciated and under-paid. When I come to work, I dont show up to collect a pay check or to prance around with a badge and a gun, I do it for the guys who will stand next to me when I need help.
                        So ask yourself this,.. when 2am comes around, do you want to be sleeping in your warm-cozy bed or out in the streets running after bad guys?
                        "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

Originally posted by Beanstick
                          So ask yourself this,.. when 2am comes around, do you want to be sleeping in your warm-cozy bed or out in the streets running after bad guys?
                          I want to be chasing bad guys.

I take my first test this weekend - here's hoping I get that chance!!!

*sighs*

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess Im probably not going to be going into LE. I think it would be an awsome profession but it sounds like I dont quite fit the bill. I think I am deffinetly going to look into going on a ride along though.

Comment

I think I am deffinetly going to look into going on a ride along though.
                              Good call. After your ride along you should have a pretty good feel of how it works and if it works for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4557 users online. 290 members and 4267 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X