300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Check? How deep?

okay, i'm planning on applying for the NYPD next year after school.
    Problem is that i was arrested as a minor for a little MJ. I was told that its such a small thing that i could be a cop if i wanted to and i do want to. But i dont know if i should even tell them about it because i was told that my records are sealed and that i dont need to tell anyone about it.

When i applied for the Marines a few years ago and i was told by my recruiter not to tell them. The FBI check went through with no problems, but i didnt join at the end.

So should i tell them? I dont want to tell because i dont want to get DQ or be held back from promotions in the future. But if i dont tell them and they find out later, i dont want to get into trouble for it. What should i do?

Chunk,
    Well the biggest thing BI's (background investigators) are looking for is honesty. That said, nothing is "SEALED" from LEO's. It is not available to the public but as a LEO a BI will find that like an elephant on a playground.

Now, not sure how old you are but I'll guess around 20 or so. Any application for law enforcement will ask you to go back at least 7 years into you past, some go as far as 15 years. Either way you will find questions on there like have you ever been arrested by the police?, Have you ever had contact with police?... List them. You were arrested, you were convicted, you did have it sealed but it did happen. If you lie to a BI and he finds it on his own, guess what, he'll ususally DQ you for it. Once your DQ'd from one department, guess what, you have a trail. Others in the future will be able to find out that info if they search for it.

Your not screwed so don't feel that way. Just be up front about it. You were young (younger) and screwed up. We have all made mistakes. You didn't kill anyone so you should be able to explain it and get past it. If you lie about it then you have both situations to deal with.

Good luck
    Last edited by CarCop; 09-09-2005, 12:51 AM.

Comment

does the nypd use polygraphs as part of the BI?

Comment

This might sound kinda sly, but rub it in how you were told they wouldn't know about it from records and that you just wanted to be honest and let them know.

Am I terrible?

Comment

LYING IN A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION IS THE BIGGEST DQ THERE IS.....

If you intentionally hide this, they will find out and not only will you get booted out, but you will screw yourself with every other department you apply to, because when I have done backgrounds, the first place I go is the background packets you have filled out for other agencies. If you lied to them, then you'll lie to me.

We aren't looking for angels...some of the best cops I have ever worked with were guys that had been around the block a few times in their younger days. We are looking for people who are honest. It may sound silly, but if you're branded a liar...you can't testify in court, so it makes it hard to testify. Which in turn makes it kinda hard to arrest anyone.

In this business, usually all you have is your integrity. Without that, you're sunk. Don't shoot yourself in the foot over a little weed when you were a juvy.
          Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks for everyone for the reply, i guess i'll just tell them and hope for the best, on a different note.
            I'm 5'9, 140lb. I'm a skinny guy and i want to gain at least 20lbs within the year, any advice on that? I have some sort of weird metabolism where i cant gain anymore weight at about 140.

Comment

DONT LIE.

Weight...

I had the same problem through school and the corps. Eat lots of fried chicken and fried rice and hit the gym. Well, it worked for me, I went from 143 to 165 in six months with only a 1% change in body fat. This was also Okinawa, where all there was to do was drink, dive, and work out.

Basically just eat right, lots of protien and carbs, don't neglect your legs when working out and make sure you do some cardio in addition to lifting.
              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Background-how deep?

Being a former Marine, I have a little bit of an issue with the Recruiter who advised you not to tell about the arrest. Bad advice. In regards to a Law Enforcement background check, there is NO such thing as a sealed or expunged record. Notice that I capitalized NO. A BI can, and will access your record. If that is the extent of your record, I see no real problem as long as you disclose it. The problem will come if you don't disclose it.

Comment

We alreay know the truth about you before we ask the questions that's how deep we go so if you tell one lie you are done.
                  We dig so deep you would be amazed.

Just what are you afraid they will find ??
                  Must be somethimg or you would not ask this round about question.

Comment

oral interview i had with fort lauderdale pd

i flew in from chicago and interview with the fort lauderdale police department. I have a clean background and I didnt seem what the problem would be hiring me. The captain(female) asked me about my job history. i worked for alot of temporary services and i moved around alot because my wife was in the military. I had got divorced and move back home with my parents. Well the captain said that i shouldnt have left my jobs. I have too many. I told her again the jobs were temporary services and they just assign you when they have jobs.. basically she didnt understand the difference and held this against me... i feel like i was discriminated against. what do u thinki should do in this case? one of the police officers in the hallway told me i should probably get my degree even though its not required. he said that would show i commited to something and i can use that as leverage when they look at my job history. can anyone help me ..

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                      We alreay know the truth about you before we ask the questions that's how deep we go so if you tell one lie you are done.
                      We dig so deep you would be amazed.

Just what are you afraid they will find ??
                      Must be somethimg or you would not ask this round about question.

Well, what i'm afraid of is that it kind of looks bad for me to become a law enforcement officer when i have broke the law before. Since i pretty much have my mind set on a Law Enforcement career, i dont want to risk it. With the way the world works today, they always want someone that has no record and no drug history, it just makes me paranoid that i have one bad mark on me.

Comment

One Bad mark won't dq you. Unless it's really bad

Comment

Chunk, don't sweat it! Tell the truth & go from there. I had a aprtner years ago who had a juv. armed robbery conviction 7 he got hired . Turned out to be the best partner I ever had. The BIs aren't looking for saints or virgins (in NYC they'd never find them ). They just want some good, honest people that can do a job no one else wants

Comment

Originally posted by lifesaving123
                            does the nypd use polygraphs as part of the BI?
                            No, no polys.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
                              Chunk, don't sweat it! Tell the truth & go from there. I had a aprtner years ago who had a juv. armed robbery conviction 7 he got hired . Turned out to be the best partner I ever had. The BIs aren't looking for saints or virgins (in NYC they'd never find them ). They just want some good, honest people that can do a job no one else wants
                              Your dept. hires felons?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3288 users online. 163 members and 3125 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X