Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me to understand this...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help me to understand this...

    NYPD is looking for recruits. They do not acknowledge any out of state certification forcing everyone to start from scratch.

    While at the academy you're only paid $26,000 a year, which goes up to about $32,000 after your first year.

    This entire time you are required to reside in NY city or within the 5 burroughs. How the hell can anyone afford this? NY is rediculously expensive. I suppose if you're a bachelor you might be able to swing it, but I don't see how anyone with a family can consider the NYPD.

  • #2
    Brother this topic has been gone over time after time after time. If you truley want the job you will just take it.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

    Comment


    • #3
      i dont know of any agency that pays enuff that while you are starting out, you dont starve to death.

      Comment


      • #4
        I do, lots of them. And everyone else that started out didn't starve to death either...

        K9

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gotthblues
          i dont know of any agency that pays enuff that while you are starting out, you dont starve to death.
          *rasies hand*

          With regards to NYPD that
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're a bachelor or married with no kids and have a spouse that works, I don't think the pay that the majority of police officers start out with is too shabby.

            Comment


            • #7
              Help me to understand this

              NYPD, in common with many agencies, has it's own way of doing things. I'm not saying that's right, it's just the way it is. As noted, many agencies are begining to accept lateral transfers. There are many benefits to doing that, and as time goes on, more and more departments will probably come on board. NYPD will probably be one of the last to do so. A whole lot of tradition is involved, and that is often resistant to change.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JustDontDie
                If you're a bachelor or married with no kids and have a spouse that works, I don't think the pay that the majority of police officers start out with is too shabby.
                key word there, single or just married and no kids,,,

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok try this one on for example. Most Agencies in Louisiana. They start off anywhere between $1200-1400 a month. Yes thats right, salary, no over-time, no great benefits, but yet those who work here in this great state, do it because they love the job. You think those officers working on New Orleans who have lost everything are worried about going to work elsewhere for less money, probably not. Yes its good to make great $$ in LE, but if thats all you are concerned about, then you have or are choosing the wrong proffession!
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the depts. here that pay "decent" starting pay are only around the two metros,,and housing is high there, businesses or places you need to go are stagered out apart, and car insurance is A LOT higher, so for the first yr or two, you just get by, but okla is made up of mostly small pd's, generally $18k to $22k is starting, the s.o.'s dont even break $19k for starting pay, the pd i was at, for 4 yrs, fulltime, and i was only at $27500, and it was the 2nd biggest in that corner of the state. and the sgt's above me only made $120 more a month than i did.
                    maybe my statement was out of bitterness , i;m sure some pd's start out well, but not around here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                      Ok try this one on for example. Most Agencies in Louisiana. They start off anywhere between $1200-1400 a month. Yes thats right, salary, no over-time, no great benefits, but yet those who work here in this great state, do it because they love the job. You think those officers working on New Orleans who have lost everything are worried about going to work elsewhere for less money, probably not. Yes its good to make great $$ in LE, but if thats all you are concerned about, then you have or are choosing the wrong proffession!
                      but is it fair to have your family suffer, or just barely get by, because of what you want. me, i dont think so, but thats me, i got out for $$, i knew the depts. where i moved payed more than where i came from, but i wasnt going to make my family "suffer" while i tried to get on at the "better" pd's. i took this job, i am giving it a fair shake, but i still would like to get on board here, somewhere in the metro where to money is better. i know you wont get rich being an officer, but i also couldnt live with it either if i had stayed where i was, having a family crammed in a small crappy house, driving old cars that breakdown every month, and having to budget just so we could buy peanut butter and cereal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gotthblues
                        i;m sure some pd's start out well, but not around here.
                        I think you nailed it. Nothing against the southern states, but they seem to start much lower than the nothern states, and top out much less. I know the cost of living is cheaper, but its still a low salary compared to the northern states. MN/WI start around $40, if not higher. I private messaged you.

                        K9
                        Last edited by K9 Police; 09-08-2005, 08:50 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by K9 Police
                          I think you nailed it. Nothing against the southern states, but they seem to start much lower than the nothern states, and top out much less. I know the cost of living is cheaper, but its still a low salary compared to the northern states. MN/WI start around $40, if not higher.

                          K9
                          after reading post in the past weeks or so, that seems to be the case, cost of living isnt really that cheap here, house in the okc metro,,35 yrs or older, less than 1500sqft, nothing really modern bout them other than maybe a new frig or oven, and absolutly no yard at all, a 10x12 inflatable pool would fill up the back yard,,all this for around $115, insurance on my 3 yr old 4 cylndr mazda 4 dr, is $750 evr 6 months,
                          but yea, about the best that ive seen top out is around $50k, and thats with around 6 to 7 yrs on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Going back to the thing about NYPD, their starting salary is almost half of what the NYSP start off at.... and NYSP get more for living close to the city to compensate for the increase in cost of living... Every surrounding counties starting pay is higher, and cap out higher... need i go on? Its the only thing holding me back from possibly joining them, for years I have wanted to work in NYC, love being there, enjoy the diverse enviroment ect.., but for $25200 starting?? not quite sure..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              $32K isn't enough to roll out of bed, let alone show up for work.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6629 users online. 361 members and 6268 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X