X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BIGDRookie
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2005

Question about computer harassment

I'm a fairly young cop so I haven't encountered anything like this on the job, so maybe some of the more seasoned officer's can help me on this one.

So here's the deal.... My girlfriend has had these people harassing her over the computer for about a year now. It's a forum that some kids from her graduating class made which they talk about mostly idiotic things on. Last year they started chiming in and saying personal things about me being a piggy and all this crap... But whatever, i can take what they dish out. I just dont want my girlfriend to have to deal with all this crap on a constant basis. By the way, these people have been talked to before from the police about the website and what they put on it.

At what point does a person draw the line when it comes to taking the harassment, and is there a possibility of getting a restraining order against the moderator of this specific website to ensure this doesnt continue?

Thanks for any input...
  • irishlad2nv
    Hustler
    • Apr 2004

You can check out the laws that have been updated in regards to harrassments/threats on and over the internet. Also do contact the police or have your g/f, in which they should have the ability to investigate the matter at hand. Good luck.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• gotthblues
      No Longer Active
      • May 2005

a side note here, but if you dont want your girlfriend to be harassed cause youre "th man" dont have a girlfriend.

Comment

• BIGDRookie
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2005

Not quite sure how that second post had anything to do with my question.... Gothblues I asked for positive input, not some stupid remarks about god knows what... nice reply tho...

Comment

• gotthblues
          No Longer Active
          • May 2005

all im saying is its going to happen,, you cant get upset about all of it, or it'll eat you up. physical threats and such is one thing, but someone running their head and just being an *** in general is another, most times the judge says its part of it, just like for him. you said you are new, well, this is part of the job. *its not right, but thats the way it is*
          harassment is harassment, but how could you get a restraining order for the internet. theyd probly just tell her dont go there.

Comment

• Josh
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2005

-not a cop-

...but this exact thing happened to me a few months ago and I felt it neccessary to coomment. hate websites are so common it's not even funny. That being said, the most they can do is write hateful words and maybe do some photoshop work. But, who cares? Really, they're just words and if you're so sensitive that you want to go to the law about this then maybe you should reconsider your career choice because it's gauranteed that you'll get worst on the job.

Comment

• mach4
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2004

This might be a bit simple, but if she doesn't like what is being said there then maybe she should quit going there. I have a hard time seeing how people on a forum calling you "piggy" would equal harassment.

Comment

• dvsmnstr
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by mach4
                This might be a bit simple, but if she doesn't like what is being said there then maybe she should quit going there. I have a hard time seeing how people on a forum calling you "piggy" would equal harassment.
                Thats what I was going to say, just tell her to find a new hangout spot on the net. Maybe she was on there flaunting her bf was a cop and others got annoyed/****ed? who knows .. but like others said check into it.

Comment

• Bigd1970
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2005

I agree with most of the posts. Tell your girlfriend to stop going to the forum, if it bothers her that much. I have worked a few of these internet harrasment debocles, and I can tell you unless there has been a direct threat against your girlfriends life or limbs, there is nothing that can be done except tell her to go somewhere else on the internet.

Comment

• ACCREDMGR
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2005

Tell her to quit going to those forums then. Piggy?? Is this a teen chat room or something?

Comment

• BIGDRookie
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2005

Thanks for the replies... I guess I should have kept this question off of here. Nobody would understand if they arent in my shoes. There are physical threats directed towards my girlfriend just so you guys know. As far as those saying I cant take the harrassment and that I need to find a new career.. Haha, thats a good... when did I say I couldnt take the harrassment??? I deal with sh*t ten times worse at work.. I just laugh off all this computer stuff... Problem is I have to hear this non stop from my girlfriend, so If anything can be done obviously I'm gonna try to fix it so I can stop hearing about it.

Hey Josh.... im pretty sure this was an ask a cop question... think u should head out until you've actually spent a night on the streets... don't let the door hit you on the way out... ah well, who know's if any of u are cops in the first place...

Comment

• TeayotaSoupra
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by BIGDRookie
                        Thanks for the replies... I guess I should have kept this question off of here. Nobody would understand if they arent in my shoes. There are physical threats directed towards my girlfriend just so you guys know. As far as those saying I cant take the harrassment and that I need to find a new career.. Haha, thats a good... when did I say I couldnt take the harrassment??? I deal with sh*t ten times worse at work.. I just laugh off all this computer stuff... Problem is I have to hear this non stop from my girlfriend, so If anything can be done obviously I'm gonna try to fix it so I can stop hearing about it.

Hey Josh.... im pretty sure this was an ask a cop question... think u should head out until you've actually spent a night on the streets... don't let the door hit you on the way out... ah well, who know's if any of u are cops in the first place...

I wouldn't waist my time on it personally. She can just stop going onto the forum?
                        You need to understand there are a LOT of people out there who can talk big and bad behind the computer screen. Its actually very simple. As a matter of fact you just started to...
                        I've been threatend, sexually harassed (hah) and everything else on the internet. Does it matter? No. No one actually acts on it.. it's all just "hey look at me I'm finally someone". You can't see them.. you can't hurt them..
                        And the best thing is... if you ignore them.. they will give up and move on

Now if they move up to calling or meeting up with her in person.. THEN there is a problem.

Comment

• edg103
                          Hawkeye Pride
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BIGDRookie

Just my $.02, but as an admitted "rookie" you're sure talking nine kinds of crap. You asked the question...you deal with the answers. Tell your girlfriend that there's nothing you can do and stay off that site if she can't handle it. And yes, it is "ask a cop" but I pretty sure Josh identified himself as "not a cop" in the first sentence and was just trying to help. At least he wasn't trying to pose as a cop.
                          Last edited by edg103; 09-12-2005, 04:31 AM.
                          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18417 users online. 42 members and 18375 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...