Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9 Police
    replied
    Interesting, so why do you want to wait to become an officer until after achieving your masters? It seems that you are just putting off the inevitable then. If your goal is to become an officer, and you DON'T want to pursue graduate school immediately, I would apply for officer positions. Then attempt to gain your masters either part-time in classroom or online. Either way, I would pick either attempt to gain an officer position or go to school full-time.

Again, just my opinion and the many officers that offered me the same opinion when I was debating your exact situation. Good luck...

K9

Leave a comment:

• studentcj
    replied
    Well, my goal was to take a year off from school, save money and then try to get into a program. I would prefer to do it full time instead of part time, but don't know of how Im going to do both. I don't want to become an officer until after I have my masters, and would like to have this accomplished by the time Im 28. I was thinking about getting into social work(I know they don't get paid well, but im good at not spending money on unneccesary things). However, Ive heard with social work that you work long hours and that I probably wouldn't be able to go fulltime. I thought about a security job, but they pay to little, atleast the ones I've seen. So, really Im lose at what jobs I should do while in graduate, that I will like, but also will look good on applications.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Originally posted by studentcj
    easier said than done, for the most part what I plan on doing after college will not pay for my tuition
    Why don't you tell us what your plan is instead of us trying to help you with graduate school on an assumption of what you might be doing full-time or if you wish to pursue graduate school full-time?

K9
    Last edited by K9 Police; 09-08-2005, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Originally posted by nypdauxsgt
    Ok, don't get the correalation between an MPA degree and LE, but anyway I can be of assistance. My mom has an MPA, and she is in human services. The degree its good for exactly what it is, Public Administration. It would be good degree to have if you wish to pursue public policy, or administration over public services, such as parks and recreation.
    ...or administration over public services, such as a police department.

Just in case you couldn't correlate between an MPA and LE, because there is a tremendous correalation. You will find many high-ranking supervisors with MPA degrees in police departments and other law enforcement agencies. Many MPA degrees come along with Law Enforcement specializations. If you don't believe me, do a quick search on either MPA or some high-ranking officials at various police departments.

There are many different aspects of an MPA that you can get involved in, including law enforcement. Not necessary for entry-level, unless thinking of federal where it would be of more advantage.

K9
    Last edited by K9 Police; 09-08-2005, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Master in Public Admin

You know your financial situation better than I do, so I won't address that. The MPA is a good degree. Certainly not required for entry level LE, but it could be of considerable help as your career progesses. Your GPA doesn't really sound like an issue, but it would be wise to check with the college or university you plan to attend, to see if you meet their standards.

Leave a comment:

• Mtclem4
    replied
    I have an MPA. Its a great degree. I currently am a deputy so I don't use it now. Although, a couple years from now when I take the sergeants test I will begin to use it.

I enjoy government affairs type stuff, so I enjoyed learning about this stuff. Besides if I were to decide that being a cop isn't for me anymore. I can get involved in City Management etc. Doors definitely open with this degree.

Leave a comment:

• studentcj
    replied
    I understand where you are coming from. However, just to keep in mind, starting a career or a job for a year where you are making money, to then up and quit to start a Masters program is a lot more difficult than said. Trust me, I know as I was in your frame of mind at one point. But like I said, I don't know what your career goals are. That is what really can determine what sort of path you want to embark on.
    Why would I quit a job to go to graduate school, Ill just go part time. If I just did graduate school without no source of income, I'd really be in a bind.

Get a job, and better yet, have a company pay for your next degree, either through tuition reimbursement or company sponsered degree program. Some companies, especially the big pharmaceuticals and consulting companies have relationships with universities (i.e. executive MBA).
    easier said than done, for the most part what I plan on doing after college will not pay for my tuition

Ok, don't get the correalation between an MPA degree and LE, but anyway I can be of assistance. My mom has an MPA, and she is in human services. The degree its good for exactly what it is, Public Administration. It would be good degree to have if you wish to pursue public policy, or administration over public services, such as parks and recreation. It won't necessarily allow you to enter a field with big $$$.
    I was told a MPA was a good thing when it come to working in agencies(better knowledge, better oportunities, and it seems interesting. I don't plan to actually work for a PD until I get my Masters. If I don't get it then I will go ahead with my original plans

Thanks for the advice

Leave a comment:

• nypdauxsgt
    replied
    huh?

dated material
    Last edited by nypdauxsgt; 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    School loans are the epiphany of school!

I understand where you are coming from. However, just to keep in mind, starting a career or a job for a year where you are making money, to then up and quit to start a Masters program is a lot more difficult than said. Trust me, I know as I was in your frame of mind at one point. But like I said, I don't know what your career goals are. That is what really can determine what sort of path you want to embark on.

Good luck my friend,

K9

Leave a comment:

• studentcj
    replied
    As for taking a year off, I would advise against it. I would keep pushing through so that you would graduate even sooner and begin your career. Just my .02 though!
    Sure, I can do that if you plan on paying for it, if not then I will be forced to take some time out. First, because the job I've had since I was a sophomore in college has been a RA. Not a lot of money there, but I get free room. I don't want my mother to pay for it, and I don't want to take out a lot of loans either. So I figure, take a year out save money and then start. It will be hard no matter what, but I think this is the best route.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Good degree program, with many specializations you can focus in. Each program can be different than the next, therefore looking at the specific class offerings can be helpful. If you want stay in the public, non-profit sector it is a good program that can also accelerate your law enforcement career if you choose to climb the ladder.

Your GPA would be suffecient for some programs, others it would not. Most programs require the GRE, and sometimes the GRE can be placed of more weight than your GPA. Other programs, no GRE and they look at your undergraduate career along with your work experience. Really depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

As for taking a year off, I would advise against it. I would keep pushing through so that you would graduate even sooner and begin your career. Just my .02 though!

K9

Leave a comment:

• studentcj
    started a topic Masters in public Adminstration

Masters in public Adminstration

Does anybody on here have or know something about this degree? From what Ive read it seems interesting and Ive been thinking about getting a masters after I graduate in May. I may take like a year off and get my finances in order. Im going to be getting my BS in CJ, but wanted to stay away from that for the next time. Does anyone know if you will have do a lot of research, like if you were getting a graduate degree in Soc. or Pysch. Also, my gpa is only a 3.05, will this keep me from getting into a graduate program at all. I heard it would and that schools prefer that you have atleast a 3.3

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4214 users online. 240 members and 3974 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X