300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve program

What is it about? How does it work? Does it help getting into LE? Do they have guns?

I can't speak for all of states, but in my state reserves are basically "volunteers." They are required to work 16 hours a month. Are allowed to carry weapons while on duty. They were enrolled in a certified police training course following the guidelines issued from the state. There is also an optional Iowa Law Enforcement Reserve Academy training these officers can attend at their own expense, are assigned varied duties including: routine patrol, parade and festival celebrations, and bike patrol.
    Oh and once off duty you dont have police powers..so dont get that confused.

I know that for fact, we have hired several of our Reserve Officers to full time officers. I guess it varies from state to state.

Just my two little cents.

Comment

nyc

dated material
      Last edited by nypdauxsgt; 12-12-2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Reserve program

The Alabama Dept of Public Safety has had a Reserve Trooper Program for many years.The basic requirements are the same as those for an arresting officer of the department. After the completion of a basic training program at the Alabama Police Academy, the applicant is appointed as a Reserve Trooper. He/She provides all required equipment. Reserve Troopers are armed, and have powers as peace officers, while riding with an officer, or assigned to duty with the department. Reserve Troopers are required to ride 16 hours per month, and qualify with their weapon annually. As the previous poster noted, when off-duty, the Reserve Trooper has no powers as a peace officer.

Comment

I am a reserve in my department. After FTO, we have full police powers(while on duty in my town) We are allowed to patrol on our own. We handle our own calls, and are even allowed to do followup work if we like. We have our own vehicle to use while patroling(It is one of the other officers old police vehicle) They pay us $10 an hour. A lot of departments in Utah are not like this, but this department is. GREAT experience when it comes to applying for full time work.
          If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

The Reserves in my department are fully certified, armed officers with full arrest powers. They wear the same uniform as the full timers, and are required to buy their own duty belt, equipment and handgun, either a Beretta, or a Smith & Wesson 9 or .40. They receive yearly update training through the department.
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Reserves for our dept are fully certified officers. We have all the same arrest powers as a fulltime officer. Basically the only distinction between fulltime and reserve is fulltime gets a paycheck; reserves dont. Everything else is the same.

Comment

The LAPD has three levels of reserves. The Line reserves would be the same as full time officers. It requires an 11 month academy and they give you your basic equipment. They have full time peace officer powers/status 24/7, carry off duty, can work most specialized units, and attend all in-service trainings. The LASD & OCSD have a very similar program but their reserves have rank.

There are several full time officers here that used to be reserves.

Comment

I am just starting as a Reserve Deputy (still in training) in a suburb of Washington, D.C. (Virginia). I'm with the Sheriff's Office - the S.O. here handles court ops, jail ops, and civil process. (We have a county police department that handles patrol & other "normal" police stuff.)

The reserve program entails a 2.5-3 month academy course. You do not have arrest powers, nor can you carry guns, but you are "sworn" and you can carry mace, a baton, cuffs, etc. This isn't really an issue, though, since most deputies spend their time in the jail and the courts - there is typically no need for guns (can't have them in the jail anyway) or arrest powers.

The county police department has an auxiliary program - it is more intesne, the academy is 6 months, and you do get arrest powers, but only when you're riding with a full timer (as I understand it) - and you still can't carry a gun (you can use the cruiser's shotgun, but that's it). Patrol + no gun = no thanks.

I can only assume that any reserve experience you get will help you out in the future, even if it's just a little bit. First hand experience is the best way to learn.
                  Last edited by fireradio; 09-08-2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

South African Police Service Reservists

Just for interest here is how the south african police reserve is set up

South African Police Service Reservists

If you would like to perform policing duties, but do not want to join the SAPS as a permanent member, you could consider becoming a reservist. A reservist is a member of the community who performs policing duties or activities for the SAPS on a voluntary basis without being paid for those services.

A person can become a reservist in one of the following categories as determined for police reservists:

Category A Reservists: Functional Policing
                    Category B Reservists: Support Services
                    Category C Reservists: Specialized Functional Policing
                    Category D Reservists: Rural and Urban Sector Policing

Category A Reservists: Functional Policing
                    These reservists carry out duties in all operational facets of policing, excluding specialized functional duties, at station, area or provincial level;
                    may wear a uniform; are issued firearms and undergo training in the relevant aspects of functional policing.

Category B Reservists: Support Services
                    These reservists carry out support duties at national, provincial, area or station level and may not perform functional duties; may not wear a uniform or be issued with a firearm; may only perform support duties where necessary; and undergo training in the legal aspects, policies and instructions that are applicable to their specific duties. back to top

Category C Reservists: Specialized Functional Policing
                    These reservists have specific skills or expertise which can be used for operational duties (these reservists include pilots, doctors, divers, social workers and psychologists); carry out duties that relate to their fields of expertise; may, with the approval of their commanders, wear uniform; and
                    undergo training in the legal aspects, policies and instructions that are applicable to their duties and for such periods as may be determined by the National Commissioner or the provincial commissioner.

Category D Reservists: Rural and Urban Sector Policing
                    These reservists carry out operational duties as part of sector policing in urban and rural areas in a specific sector or in specified areas as determined by their commanders; may wear uniform, depending on their duties; and
                    are trained in the aspects of sector policing and/or functional policing that apply to their duties. Additional training is needed if they are involved in sector policing or functional operations.

A reservist who is appointed in one category can be transferred to any other category if he or she meets all the requirements for the specific category and has undergone or is willing to undergo the required training for that category.

What are the requirements for becoming a reservist?
                    In terms of the Regulations for the South African Police Reserve Service (Government Gazette, 22 March 2002) the requirements for becoming a reservist are as follows:

You must have permanent residence in the Republic of South Africa.
                    You must be at least 18 years and under 70 years of age (documentary proof must be given).
                    A minor (underage person) can only be appointed as a reservist with the written permission of his or her legal guardian.
                    You must complete a health questionnaire as determined by the National Commissioner.
                    You must be free of any mental or physical defect, disease or infirmity which may interfere with the proper execution of your duties.
                    You must be of good character and references must be provided.
                    You must successfully complete the psychometric tests/assessments determined by the National Commissioner
                    You must have at least a Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of which documentary proof must be provided.
                    You must be able to speak, read and write at least English as one of the official languages.
                    You must allow your fingerprints to be taken and must not have been found guilty of an offence or be under prosecution for an offence.
                    You must have no visible tattoos.
                    You must be prepared to undergo such training as may be determined.
                    You must be prepared to take the oath of office.
                    Possessing a driver
                    If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

Reserve Officers/Deputies in Arizona are required to be fully certified by AZPOST, which means completing an academy, minimum of 585 hours. Reservists then have fully authority and arrest powers, and in most cases can work a solo car after completing FTO. All reservists in Arizona have 24/7 peace officer authority just like full timers, though some agencies restrict their reserves from taking peace officer action off-duty.

There are also several non-sworn volunteer opportunities, i.e. motorist assist programs, Sheriff's Posse etc. Some of these programs allow volunteers to be armed, but most do not.
                      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

In most NJ towns they don't call them reserves.. there called SLEO (special law enf. officers) I/II. Class I are basically extra bodies for crowd control and traffic at parades and fair's. They will usally walk around the boardwalk's also.

Class II's go through a 9 month training coarse covering the same things as a full-time recruit. We have full arrest powers, are armed and do everything a full time guy would do exept on a part-time basis. (not too much power off duty)

The nice thing is a few years back the NJCJS stated that they can waive your full time academy if your hired full time if you have been through the class II training coarse.

Some guys do it just as a side gig, and others hope to become a full time LEO(and it helps big time)

Comment

Florida reserve officers are fully sworn and go to the same academy as regular officers (there is no "reserve academy"). Duties vary from dept to dept but generally, you have to volunteer 16-20 hrs a month. Can carry off duty etc.

There are also auxiliary officers (less common). They are sworn only when accompanied by a reserve or full time officer, can carry weapons while working but not off duty. FHP has a large and very active aux. unit. I used to work the UF football games with them.
                          press hard-5 copies

Comment

Originally posted by nypdauxsgt
                            Here in NYC, reserves are VOLUNTEERS who are apart of the NYPD "Auxiliary Police". As mentioned in the post above, Auxiliaries do NOT have police powers, nor are they peace officers, despite their strong resemblance to regular police officers while in uniform. Their primary role is to act is 'eyes and ears' of the police, that is report situations that require PD intervention.
                            A civil service test must still be taken to get on the force. However, auxiliary experience is worthwhile, and with time, you could get a good letter of recommendation from your auxiliary supervisors. This may assist your background investigation.
                            Hope this helps. I have no intention of getting on the force, but being an auxiliary has allowed me to have a different view of NYC when compared to my peers/colleagues, make some dear friends, as well as develop some personal interaction skills that my career does not provide (academic medical research).
                            Don't become a reserve to be a buff. Do it because you want to learn and/or make new friends and more importantly, to serve your community. Being a reserve officer is often a thankless task. So..learn to live with that and have fun. Also, don't worry what others think of you, because there are times that you WILL be met with dogmatic assertion either from your friends/family/ and regular cops when they realize that you're an "auxiliary/reserve". Its your life, your career. Learn. Experience. Network. CLIMB!!!

Ah yes...Auxiliaries here in NYC do not carry guns. They are not needed. However others Auxiliaries outside NYC, in NY State, do carry.
                            How much interaction do the NYC reserves have with the general public? Do they ride with regular cops? What is on their duty belt?

I'm thinking about joining the NYPD. This might be a good way to scope out the job.

Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5825 users online. 365 members and 5460 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X