X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YJ95
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2005

another dq question

I'm still at least a year and a half away from applying, but this has been on my mind lately. I've done a quick rundown on things in my past that may come up. I have 2 that I'd like answered.

First, this one was when I was like 6-8 yrs old. I know this shouldn't matter at all, but I stole something from an art store up the street and when me and my mom got out of the store I pulled it out of my pocket. She couldn't believe it, and made me leave it in the shopping cart right outside the door. So never was caught, besides mom. When I was in 6th grade, a friend and me stole 2 packs of cigs outside a 7-11 (we were young, didn't know anything but thought they were "cool"). Someone had left them on the curb on the side of the 7-11 and gone back inside. We only learned they were his after buying things inside. Those are the only thing I can think of for the life of me that I have taken. I've been with friends before that stole things, but personally no. If asked if I stole, should I say yes? And if so, when they ask what, will they think it's stupid for me to admit to?

Second thing. My senior year of high school I partied. I'll be honest, most of the times it was like things in college. I basically lived my college life back then. Now, being 20, I really have no desire to "get drunk." Some of you probably know what I mean. Now, if I'm at someone's house I may have a beer or two, but that's it. I cut myself off. I know, I know. I shouldn't even be there underage. After reading the other thread about underage drinking, I think I may not go to a friends party later this month. I would hate to regret it if something happened. Also, with the old partying (3-4 years ago), there were pictures taken and such. We all just had good times. As long as I admit that I drank alittle back then to any BI then I should be ok right? I didn't know if being as there is "proof" out there somewhere might affect anything. And my partying wasn't every weekend. I would say it was about once a month.

Any of yalls answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by YJ95; 09-05-2005, 07:27 PM.
  • NJladyGlock21

You don't have anything to worry about if the stuff you mentioned is what your 'history' consists of.
    We have all been kids! We have been to the high school/college parties. If you were never involved in anything criminal dont stress about it.
    Keep yourself out of trouble, stay in school and keep a good circle of friends.
    You will be fine.

Comment

• YJ95
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2005

I have never been in any situations with LE before. I shouldn't say that actually. I have gotten a total of 3 tickets before, 1 was non-moving. Never went to court for them, and paid off in full. It's been over a year since any ticket. So I'm good to go with the local cities as far as that goes.

The only other time I had contact with an LEO was when my friend got hit in the face, and we had to file reports. I recieved the letter in the mail and all to report to court to testify. Will that show on any record? We did nothing wrong, just some punk kid didn't like us being where we were. Should that incident be brought up?

Comment

• hemicop
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2005

Yuo sould be okay. If all you you did was drink at a H.S. party I don't think even the Pope could get upset at that. It's now that you have to be careful. Unfortunately the drinking age is now 21 (it was 18 when I was that age) so the temptation will naturally be high. I can see the oral board now " So, Mr. XXXXX, you used to drink at these H.S. parties.. Tell us, you're 20 now,do you still drink?" You see where this could go

Comment

• NJladyGlock21

The friend situation will not matter. You acted as a witness.

Comment

• cst.sb
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by YJ95
            Second thing. My senior year of high school I partied. I'll be honest, most of the times it was like things in college. I basically lived my college life back then. Now, being 20, I really have no desire to "get drunk." Some of you probably know what I mean. Now, if I'm at someone's house I may have a beer or two, but that's it. I cut myself off. I know, I know. I shouldn't even be there underage.
            Doesn't sound all the that bad, but if I was a recruiter you would be deferred for at least 2-3 years.

I'd do this for two reasons. The first being, that you partied it up in your senior year and minimized it with language like, "Back then". Did you finish school at 17 or 18? Because you're only 20 and 2-3 years hardly qualifies as, "Back then". "Back then" for most people means a generation or an identifiable decade like the 80's.

The second reason saying that you lived the "college life" what does that exacly mean? I would be digging into that bigtime. You are also still drinking underage and that to me is a problem.

A couple of questions for you. Do you think you'd have any credibility as a police officer if you graduated from the academy 6 months from now and everyone there remember you from drinking underage along side them six months before?

And given the incredible amount of authority and trust that is given to police officers, do you think you have proven yourself ready for that responsibility by still planning to attend a party that you are going to be drinking underage at?

The bottom line is that you haven't done anything fatal, but you might want to give it a couple years before applying.

Comment

• YJ95
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by cst.sb
              do you think you have proven yourself ready for that responsibility by still planning to attend a party that you are going to be drinking underage at?
              Well in a post of mine I stated that I would not be going after thinking about it further. While I wasn't going to drink in the first place, I don't want to be around it and I realized that recently.

Back then, I mean I graduated when I was 18. So yes, technically it's only 2 years ago. However I will be 21 in a few months. But like I said in the first post, it will be another year and a half at least before I even apply. That being due to college reasons.

Comment

• cst.sb
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by YJ95
                Well in a post of mine I stated that I would not be going after thinking about it further. While I wasn't going to drink in the first place, I don't want to be around it and I realized that recently.

Back then, I mean I graduated when I was 18. So yes, technically it's only 2 years ago. However I will be 21 in a few months. But like I said in the first post, it will be another year and a half at least before I even apply. That being due to college reasons.
                Like I said, those would be my reasons for deferring you if you appiled now. If you are going to be applying at 22-23 years old I think that 5 years between being a drunkard in high school like most of us were is probably enough time.

Just curious though, when you were partying it up in your senior year what drugs did you try? You didn't try anything to strong did you?

Comment

• YJ95
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2005

No, actually the only time I did anything was the summer from freshman to sophomore in high school. And it was only weed. I tried it once, and didn't really get anything from it. Tried it once more after that and that was all for me. So only 2 times, completely experimental.

Comment

• PhilipCal
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2004

Another DQ Question

Don't think you have too many problems here. Mention the "thefts" on the application, and if asked later.(You will be). For the present, seperate yourself from the party crowd, as very often, alcohol and drugs go hand in hand. I've said many times, we're not looking for saints in law enforcement, but we are looking for honest, trustworthy individuals.

Comment

• KCCO
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2005

It has already been said, and I don't want to beat a dead horse but the biggest thing is honesty. Nothing you have said will keep you off the job, when your oral boards come up, or your polygraph, make sure you are honest. Yes you have stolen....when you were a kid. Yes you have expierimented with weed in college....but you have left that part of you life behind and are dedicated to becoming a police officer. The biggest thing that will get you fired, dropped etc is if they think you are lying or being deceptive. Like I tell my scroats on the street, The truth will set you free! Good Luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19022 users online. 46 members and 18976 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...