300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad check -- should she file charges?

My daughter foolishly cashed a personal check from someone who is supposedly a friend of a friend. She then turned around and gave this person cash. Now, that check bounced and the guy states he doesn't have the money. I do not believe him. He is clearly a gang member and has prison tats. (Don't think I didn't have something to say about this whole thing.)

What are her options at this point? I say go file a complaint but question what good that will do? This person has already admitted that he is living on disability so there is no real income to speak of. If she files a report, would that be something like fraudulant use of a financial instrument? This is in Texas so any Texas LEOs please advise.

Thanks,

Frank
    Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

Question number one what kind of people is your daughter hanging out with.
    How much was check for and why did she accept it rather then getting cash?
    When somebody cashes a check in that manner it's because they don't have money in the bank. Almost all businesses that accept checks can scan the check and will reject it because it will show no money in account. So this friend and his friend knew exactly that they were writing a worthless check.

If it's under $100 let it go and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

If more and it's worth her time and EXPENSE because she is the one going to court etc then refer matter to local prosecutor. Don't expect the guy who wrote it to get arrested more likely a summons and order to pay check unless he has a long history of doing this.

In the mean time have daughter sort out friends a little better.

In God We Trust ........ All others pay cash.
    Last edited by Bodie; 09-05-2005, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
      Question number one what kind of people is your daughter hanging out with.
      How much was check for and why did she accept it rather then getting cash?
      When somebody cashes a check in that manner it's because they don't have money in the bank. Almost all businesses that accept checks can scan the check and will reject it because it will show no money in account. So this friend and his friend knew exactly that they were writing a worthless check.

If it's under $100 let it go and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

If more and it's worth her time and EXPENSE because she is the one going to court etc then refer matter to local prosecutor. Don't expect the guy who wrote it to get arrested more likely a summons and order to pay check unless he has a long history of doing this.

In the mean time have daughter sort out friends a little better.

In God We Trust ........ All others pay cash.
      I'm way ahead of you on the vetting of friends thing.
      The check was for > $250 and she is already filing a report.

Thanks.
      Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

Comment

You ever see Goodfellas, the part where Jimmy and Henry go up into Morty's wig store when Morty owes Jimmy some money? Should I say any more?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4025 users online. 222 members and 3803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X