• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBPSDJohn
    replied
    From USA Jobs-CUSTOMS & BORDER PROTECTION OFFICER
    QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
    GS-11: You qualify at the GS-11 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level, that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties. Examples include applying a comprehensive range of federal laws, rules, regulations and procedures relating to inspection, inspection related investigations and compliance activities governing the admission of travelers or the import/export of cargo in and out of the United States.There are no specialized education requirements for this position.U.S. Citizenship: Candidates must be United States citizens and present proof of citizenship, if selected. Residency: If you are not currently a CBP employee, you must meet one or more of the following primary residence criteria for the last three years prior to submitting your application for employment: a) Resided in the United States or its protectorates or territories (excluding short trips abroad, such as vacations); b) Worked for the United States government as an employee overseas in a federal or military capacity; or c) Been a dependent of a U.S. federal or military employee serving overseas.Background Security Investigation: You will need to successfully complete a background investigation before you can be appointed into this position.Motor Vehicle Operation: You must possess a valid automobile driver's license at the time of appointment.Drug Testing: If you have not already done so, you must submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result before you can be appointed into this position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use.Medical/Physical: You must pass a pre-employment medical examination. Prior to appointment, the person selected for this position must be determined physically fit by an authorized government physician to perform strenuous and physically demanding duties; and also pass a medical examination (which includes vision, hearing, cardiovascular, and mobility of extremities) given by an authorized government physician.Firearms Requirement: You will be required to carry a firearm while performing the duties of this position. Maintaining firearm proficiency is also mandatory. Any person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence cannot lawfully possess a firearm or ammunition. Candidates under consideration will be required to certify whether they have ever been convicted of such an offense. False or fraudulent information provided by candidates is criminally punishable by fine or imprisonment.Travel: You will be required to travel frequently.Training: You will be required to attend 12 weeks of paid training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, Georgia. This technical training must be successfully completed according to the standards of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to do so will be grounds for mandatory removal from the position. Such failure will result in reassignment back to your previous position.Physical and Environmental Conditions: The work is performed indoors and outdoors regardless of weather conditions and may involve inspection of explosive material.Overtime and Shift Work: This position requires regular and recurring overtime and shift work.Uniforms: This position requires you to wear an officially approved uniform while in a duty status.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Blue
    replied
    Cbp

what are the minimum requirements to get into the CBP?

Leave a comment:

• kingsman
    replied
    Thank you for the reminder about my user profile. I honestly had not thought about it after I left Customs. It has now been corrected.

The headphones were an experiment, and they were light and cut enough of the noise that I could work without irritating my ear canal.

But you owe me an apology on the crack about shutting down my truck lane. I NEVER shut down my lane to eat sandwiches. Nor did I ever shut down my lane without being relieved or being told to shut it down?

Leave a comment:

• FSCF3801
    replied
    Originally posted by kingsman
    I have seen the bad side of this situation. I worked the Michigan border with Canada as a Customs Inspector, hired after 9/11. I lost my position in part because of a domestic situation that happened in my home. My Daughters boyfriend committed assault and battery on her in my home. I did not see it occur, but heard it and he ran directly into me trying to flee the house.

I took him down and cuffed him and held him for the police. While the state of Michigan recognizes Federal officers as peace officers, what I did (handcuffing with my duty cuffs) violated Customs Proceedures which limit you to the border nexus.

The City didn't have a problem with what I did.
    The State didn't have a problem with what I did.
    Internal Affairs didn't have a problem with what I did.

My Chief DID have a problem with what I did, and I got a written reprimand while still on probation. In the end I lost my job because of it.

So, yes, you have police powers, but not if the Port says you don't.

Also, while Customs did authorize 24 hour carry, they only authorized you to carry your service weapon (Glock 9mm) and you could only use it to defend your own life, or the life of another LEO. You could not use it to defend your neighbor or wife, because it was your service issued weapon.

To compound that, my local Sheriff refused to issue me a CCW because I was a federal officer and as such did not need one. This locked me into carrying the glock and only being able to use it in limited conditions. After I left customs, I had no trouble getting the CCW.

So here again the state may recognize certain powers given your position in Federal Law enforcement, but that doesn't mean that Customs recognizes your off duty status as such.

Boy, I hope that all makes sense to everyone out there.

stay Safe
    What about the time you wore headphones as hearing protection???????? Oh wait what about the time you shut down your truck lane to eat sandwiches while the rest of us busted our *** and had to cover for you.

p.s You may want to change your user profile as you are NO LONGER one of us.

Leave a comment:

• kingsman
    replied
    I have seen the bad side of this situation. I worked the Michigan border with Canada as a Customs Inspector, hired after 9/11. I lost my position in part because of a domestic situation that happened in my home. My Daughters boyfriend committed assault and battery on her in my home. I did not see it occur, but heard it and he ran directly into me trying to flee the house.

I took him down and cuffed him and held him for the police. While the state of Michigan recognizes Federal officers as peace officers, what I did (handcuffing with my duty cuffs) violated Customs Proceedures which limit you to the border nexus.

The City didn't have a problem with what I did.
    The State didn't have a problem with what I did.
    Internal Affairs didn't have a problem with what I did.

My Chief DID have a problem with what I did, and I got a written reprimand while still on probation. In the end I lost my job because of it.

So, yes, you have police powers, but not if the Port says you don't.

Also, while Customs did authorize 24 hour carry, they only authorized you to carry your service weapon (Glock 9mm) and you could only use it to defend your own life, or the life of another LEO. You could not use it to defend your neighbor or wife, because it was your service issued weapon.

To compound that, my local Sheriff refused to issue me a CCW because I was a federal officer and as such did not need one. This locked me into carrying the glock and only being able to use it in limited conditions. After I left customs, I had no trouble getting the CCW.

So here again the state may recognize certain powers given your position in Federal Law enforcement, but that doesn't mean that Customs recognizes your off duty status as such.

Boy, I hope that all makes sense to everyone out there.

stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• CBPSDJohn
    replied
    Originally posted by BIKE837
    If you're working on the norther border do not expect to be arresting someone or finding drugs every day or even every few months....
    I am a CBP Officer on the southern border and agree with Bike 837 on all except, on the Southern Border finding drugs and criminals happens all day everyday.

Leave a comment:

• BIKE837
    replied
    I am with CBP at a land border.

As several folks have mentioned, CBP BP has an annoucement out for aspiring patrol agents. There is not a current annoucement out for CBP Officers at the ports. Alot of people are still in the "pipeline" from prior CBP announcements. Hiring is occuring, but not at the pace it was a few years ago.

When you talk about being still being "police," BPAs and CBPOs have federal arrest authority and carry firearms. We are law enforcement, but in a different light than local LE. And, yes, there is 24-hour carry, (that's usually the second question), but you can only take action with your firearm in a limited number of circumstances. And that is a good thing as making arrests off duty isn't usually preferable.

The money is good, but working for CBP is much different than being a local cop. There is ALOT of busy work involved and in most places enforcement events do not occur every day. If you're working on the norther border do not expect to be arresting someone or finding drugs every day or even every few months....

Leave a comment:

• Evtech
    replied
    I believe the Blackhawk guys are armed, but the P3 crews are not.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Interesting, as the members of the Air Branch when I retired were officers, and did carry guns. But that was in '97, much has changed since then.

As for 'hell holes' along the border, I have been to posts that were not hell, but you could see it from there!

Leave a comment:

• Evtech
    replied
    My son works for CPB in their air surveillance branch in Florida flying on a P3 patrol plane chasing druggies. He did the same thing in the Navy and it took him 2 years to get into CBP with all the background checks and processing. The process may be faster now. They don't carry weapons but the enforcement branches do and you have to attend their academy in Georgia if you are in enforcement. It's tougher to get into the air branches. They usually take experienced servicemen. One of his buddies was in BP before transferring and said that there are a lot of hellholes along the southern border. It's a frustrating job.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    For all Federal agents, it depends on the state they are working in. California has a statute that defines Peace Officers, and for many years Customs officers were not listed. Other states grant police powers to all Federal officers working in the state.
    Again, it does not matter. We are there to enforce Federal statutes, and have all the ""power"" we need for that. IT is not our job to enforce traffic laws.

Leave a comment:

• sheriff2004
    replied
    Cbp

I hear that in 90 days they will be doing a customs exam not border patrol. I didn't know that customs officers weren't police but border patrol were. any feedback on this.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Customs (now CBP or ICE) usually had trouble finding people willing to work in NYC. So, if that is where you want to stay, you will have a good chance. I was an 1811 Special Agent, we had no police powers other than "Citizens arrest under color of law". So what, I never wanted to deal with drunks or domestics anyway.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 09-06-2005, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigPat
    replied
    Border Patrol is hiring, apply on USAjobs.opm.gov, or click on this web page http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c.../gowith_bp.xml

With Border Patrol, you HAVE to start out on the southern border. Some of the stations that they are sending a lot of new people to now are really good (i.e. Tucson, AZ) but some suck. When they offer you an academy date they will give you a statuon (or choice of stations) right then. The pay is good and you will make more than enough money to live well (unless you go to San DIego).

As for Peace Officer Status, as far as I know only certain stations on the northern border and some in New Mexico give agents peace officer status. It is still a good job as long as you don't mind the frustration that coan come in dealing with U.S. immigration policy.

Leave a comment:

• sheriff2004
    replied
    Border Patrol

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought, but when I asked this agent at a party I was at, he said he didn't have to go anywhere, he started off locally. I was wondering if that's possible. I already filled out the process on the web page, but it's not too specific as to where you go for your assignment. It's just another option. Are you CBP?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2883 users online. 171 members and 2712 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X