300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info about Border Patrol or U.S customs

I hear that they are looking for 80 agents by september. Anyone know what the process is, and where you have to start. I hear from a current Agent that the Peace Bridge in Buffalo/Canada is available. Any agents on board hear this, and if so, what's the process to get in. Can you transfer? and are you considered Police? thanks

Got to USAJOBS.com That is the human resource for fedral jobs. Speaking for BP- they are hiring although not known how many. BP will more than likely send you to the southern border first. If your looking for a specific duty station then BP may not be your best bet as they are more than likely to send you where then need you. Nowadays, they give your duty assignment before you shipout to the academy, so if you can't accept it you can turn it down.

As for Peace Officers powers, some areas are also given local peace officer powers. If you end up in say, San Diego, not a chance. It just depends.

As for a port (shipport, airport, port of entry) CBP usually hires for certain areas. If the station you are looking for is open and has an announcement posted, then it should be on that web site. That site will give you all the instructions you need to get the process started.

As for transfers, if your asking can you transfer from a LEO job into BP, No. You must attend their academy. Once your in the BP transfers are like anywhere else, by availability (and time in service/seniority).
    Last edited by CarCop; 09-05-2005, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Border Patrol

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought, but when I asked this agent at a party I was at, he said he didn't have to go anywhere, he started off locally. I was wondering if that's possible. I already filled out the process on the web page, but it's not too specific as to where you go for your assignment. It's just another option. Are you CBP?

Comment

Border Patrol is hiring, apply on USAjobs.opm.gov, or click on this web page http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c.../gowith_bp.xml

With Border Patrol, you HAVE to start out on the southern border. Some of the stations that they are sending a lot of new people to now are really good (i.e. Tucson, AZ) but some suck. When they offer you an academy date they will give you a statuon (or choice of stations) right then. The pay is good and you will make more than enough money to live well (unless you go to San DIego).

As for Peace Officer Status, as far as I know only certain stations on the northern border and some in New Mexico give agents peace officer status. It is still a good job as long as you don't mind the frustration that coan come in dealing with U.S. immigration policy.

Comment

Customs (now CBP or ICE) usually had trouble finding people willing to work in NYC. So, if that is where you want to stay, you will have a good chance. I was an 1811 Special Agent, we had no police powers other than "Citizens arrest under color of law". So what, I never wanted to deal with drunks or domestics anyway.
          Last edited by Sleuth; 09-06-2005, 03:55 PM.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Cbp

I hear that in 90 days they will be doing a customs exam not border patrol. I didn't know that customs officers weren't police but border patrol were. any feedback on this.

Comment

For all Federal agents, it depends on the state they are working in. California has a statute that defines Peace Officers, and for many years Customs officers were not listed. Other states grant police powers to all Federal officers working in the state.
              Again, it does not matter. We are there to enforce Federal statutes, and have all the ""power"" we need for that. IT is not our job to enforce traffic laws.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

My son works for CPB in their air surveillance branch in Florida flying on a P3 patrol plane chasing druggies. He did the same thing in the Navy and it took him 2 years to get into CBP with all the background checks and processing. The process may be faster now. They don't carry weapons but the enforcement branches do and you have to attend their academy in Georgia if you are in enforcement. It's tougher to get into the air branches. They usually take experienced servicemen. One of his buddies was in BP before transferring and said that there are a lot of hellholes along the southern border. It's a frustrating job.
                Aude Sapere

Comment

Interesting, as the members of the Air Branch when I retired were officers, and did carry guns. But that was in '97, much has changed since then.

As for 'hell holes' along the border, I have been to posts that were not hell, but you could see it from there!
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

I believe the Blackhawk guys are armed, but the P3 crews are not.
                    Aude Sapere

Comment

I am with CBP at a land border.

As several folks have mentioned, CBP BP has an annoucement out for aspiring patrol agents. There is not a current annoucement out for CBP Officers at the ports. Alot of people are still in the "pipeline" from prior CBP announcements. Hiring is occuring, but not at the pace it was a few years ago.

When you talk about being still being "police," BPAs and CBPOs have federal arrest authority and carry firearms. We are law enforcement, but in a different light than local LE. And, yes, there is 24-hour carry, (that's usually the second question), but you can only take action with your firearm in a limited number of circumstances. And that is a good thing as making arrests off duty isn't usually preferable.

The money is good, but working for CBP is much different than being a local cop. There is ALOT of busy work involved and in most places enforcement events do not occur every day. If you're working on the norther border do not expect to be arresting someone or finding drugs every day or even every few months....

Comment

Originally posted by BIKE837
                        If you're working on the norther border do not expect to be arresting someone or finding drugs every day or even every few months....
                        I am a CBP Officer on the southern border and agree with Bike 837 on all except, on the Southern Border finding drugs and criminals happens all day everyday.

Comment

I have seen the bad side of this situation. I worked the Michigan border with Canada as a Customs Inspector, hired after 9/11. I lost my position in part because of a domestic situation that happened in my home. My Daughters boyfriend committed assault and battery on her in my home. I did not see it occur, but heard it and he ran directly into me trying to flee the house.

I took him down and cuffed him and held him for the police. While the state of Michigan recognizes Federal officers as peace officers, what I did (handcuffing with my duty cuffs) violated Customs Proceedures which limit you to the border nexus.

The City didn't have a problem with what I did.
                          The State didn't have a problem with what I did.
                          Internal Affairs didn't have a problem with what I did.

My Chief DID have a problem with what I did, and I got a written reprimand while still on probation. In the end I lost my job because of it.

So, yes, you have police powers, but not if the Port says you don't.

Also, while Customs did authorize 24 hour carry, they only authorized you to carry your service weapon (Glock 9mm) and you could only use it to defend your own life, or the life of another LEO. You could not use it to defend your neighbor or wife, because it was your service issued weapon.

To compound that, my local Sheriff refused to issue me a CCW because I was a federal officer and as such did not need one. This locked me into carrying the glock and only being able to use it in limited conditions. After I left customs, I had no trouble getting the CCW.

So here again the state may recognize certain powers given your position in Federal Law enforcement, but that doesn't mean that Customs recognizes your off duty status as such.

Boy, I hope that all makes sense to everyone out there.

stay Safe
                          Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman
                            I have seen the bad side of this situation. I worked the Michigan border with Canada as a Customs Inspector, hired after 9/11. I lost my position in part because of a domestic situation that happened in my home. My Daughters boyfriend committed assault and battery on her in my home. I did not see it occur, but heard it and he ran directly into me trying to flee the house.

I took him down and cuffed him and held him for the police. While the state of Michigan recognizes Federal officers as peace officers, what I did (handcuffing with my duty cuffs) violated Customs Proceedures which limit you to the border nexus.

The City didn't have a problem with what I did.
                            The State didn't have a problem with what I did.
                            Internal Affairs didn't have a problem with what I did.

My Chief DID have a problem with what I did, and I got a written reprimand while still on probation. In the end I lost my job because of it.

So, yes, you have police powers, but not if the Port says you don't.

Also, while Customs did authorize 24 hour carry, they only authorized you to carry your service weapon (Glock 9mm) and you could only use it to defend your own life, or the life of another LEO. You could not use it to defend your neighbor or wife, because it was your service issued weapon.

To compound that, my local Sheriff refused to issue me a CCW because I was a federal officer and as such did not need one. This locked me into carrying the glock and only being able to use it in limited conditions. After I left customs, I had no trouble getting the CCW.

So here again the state may recognize certain powers given your position in Federal Law enforcement, but that doesn't mean that Customs recognizes your off duty status as such.

Boy, I hope that all makes sense to everyone out there.

stay Safe
                            What about the time you wore headphones as hearing protection???????? Oh wait what about the time you shut down your truck lane to eat sandwiches while the rest of us busted our *** and had to cover for you.

p.s You may want to change your user profile as you are NO LONGER one of us.

Comment

Thank you for the reminder about my user profile. I honestly had not thought about it after I left Customs. It has now been corrected.

The headphones were an experiment, and they were light and cut enough of the noise that I could work without irritating my ear canal.

But you owe me an apology on the crack about shutting down my truck lane. I NEVER shut down my lane to eat sandwiches. Nor did I ever shut down my lane without being relieved or being told to shut it down?
                              Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2781 users online. 158 members and 2623 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X