Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suggestions with abandoned vehicle (locating owner)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions with abandoned vehicle (locating owner)

A few weeks ago one of our officers found a Ford Tauras abandoned. The VIN's on the door, and on the dash were scratched off, I was unable to locate the one on the engine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else I could use to locate the owner. Thankyou for your help in advance.

Joe

Abandoned vehicle

With the VINs being filed off, you've probably got a stolen vehicle. From your post, I assume your an Officer. Contact an Auto Theft Investigator. He should know the "secret number" locations for the car in question. If the vehicle is on a publicly maintained roadway, you can probably tow(impound) it. Check your state's statutes, and department policy on abandoned vehicles, and act accordingly.

Comment

You should have a program at your department computer that shows where the confidential VIN is located.

A good resource is NICB. National insurance crime bureau. They investigate all kinds of insurance fraud.

You can get a password and you will have a database with all people who have filed insurance claims. This can help you build a case of insurance fraud. They also have great resources for auto theft.

They can give you confidential VINs.

It is free

http://www.nicb.org/

Comment

There is a VIN tag on the frame, also if you pull the back seat there is a piece of paper that is usually attached to the seat, it has a part number plant number and so on, also on that piece of paper is the VIN number. I found a car similar to yours except it was a re-tag and was sitting in a dealership lot. It ended up being stolen out of Milwaukee in 2001.
        "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Its our policy that if a vehicle is found abandoned on our property we have to take care of it. The only reason we would call the Troopers is if it was stolen. We have a huge problem with people abandoning vehicles on our property, and then we have to spend a couple thousand to have them removed from our impound lot and crushed. Thanks for the link, I took over impounds last year and am always learning. Sorry I did forget to mention that it was already impounded.

Thankyou again,
          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by USCGjoker
            Its our policy that if a vehicle is found abandoned on our property we have to take care of it. The only reason we would call the Troopers is if it was stolen. We have a huge problem with people abandoning vehicles on our property, and then we have to spend a couple thousand to have them removed from our impound lot and crushed. Thanks for the link, I took over impounds last year and am always learning. Sorry I did forget to mention that it was already impounded.

Thankyou again,
            Joe
            If you're the new impound guy make sure your first response officers know to check the trunks for bodies, living and deceased!

You should try workout a deal with a tow company that they (or if you do it yourself) get to keep the abandoned car once the storage fees equal the value of the vehicle. If you contact out the storage you get them charge the RO or issurance company if the RO is found. If no RO is located, the tow company gets to auction off the car to pay for the storage fee.

Comment

Trust me that would not of been an issue, every window that the vehicle was supposed to have was broken out, and the tailgate and both rear passenger doors will not open. We have a towing service on base that is contracted to tow vehicles, however if it is an emergency tow we will usually call the local company. Sad to say we do not charge impound fee's, no matter how hard I push the issue I still get "no". Before we have the cars towed to the scrap yard we offer them to the local towing company, but he will only take the vehicles he knows he can get a good resale price on (which is only 2 or 3 out of 12). Its amazing how everyone sold the vehicle to a friend, but they just don't have proof. Last year we spent $2200 on desposing the vehicles, $2200 that could of been spent on training. Thankyou again for all the help you all have given me.

Joe

Comment

Bodie I don't think you should of put out the info you did. Ever think that crooks could be on here asking questions from us to better conceal their crimes. I like what the first response was. To ask the auto theft detective and find out where the secret VIN is. If you don't have one, then get some training. If you still can't get info, then you just aren't going to find out. That's my opinion. We are on the honors system, and don't really know who each other are. Don't post it on the internet. There is a reason why it is not put on the internet for the public to know. That's why they call it a "secret VIN". Let's make it easier for US, and not THEM.
                Last edited by Tim Dees; 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM. Reason: Potentially sensitive information included in post

Comment

Trust me real thieves know where all the vins are and how to hide them. Even if filed down or messed up many can still be raised and no joy rider or kid car thief that is going to abandon a ride is going to alter anything.Cra thieves generally only stay with a stolen no more the 72 hours. Only a crackhead longer.

The only cars that would possibly get all or most vins's removed would be a high line sports car or one of high dollar value being stripped by pros for parts and they simply destroy any parts with vin labels.

So the secret is not really a secret.

To the guys on bases with a car dumping problem just get a big Hummer and push the car off base and the troopers will have to take it.

Comment

Whether a total secret or not, it's still confidential info that should not be shared on an open forum. Some of it is available on the net to be sure, but much of it is not. I'm constantly checking the Internet for such things and most of what I find is put out there by us.

Manufacturers also change up locations from time to time, so what might be valid for one year model is not for another.

And the confidential VIN on a Ford Taurus is not on the frame. The Taurus has no frame, it's a unibody. Contact the NICB and find out the name of the agent in your region. He should be able to assist you. If not, contact the Highway Patrol or State Police, they often have someone knowledegable in their CID office. If all else fails, PM me.

Comment

Unibody is still a frame. Just not rails like in some cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally
                        Bodie I don't think you should of put out the info you did. Ever think that crooks could be on here asking questions from us to better conceal their crimes. I like what the first response was. To ask the auto theft detective and find out where the secret VIN is. If you don't have one, then get some training. If you still can't get info, then you just aren't going to find out. That's my opinion. We are on the honors system, and don't really know who each other are. Don't post it on the internet. There is a reason why it is not put on the internet for the public to know. That's why they call it a "secret VIN". Let's make it easier for US, and not THEM.
                        Like he's proven many a time before..he is an idiot old timer who needs to turn in his papers.

Comment

At this point, who cares who the owner was - chances are if it was an insurance job the owner already received a check. So they're not going to care that it was recovered. If it was an insurance job and they were smart enough to get rid of every VIN on the car, they'll probably be smart enough to sit thru an interview and deny, deny, deny. We would just help the tow company get the junk papers to dispose of it.

Comment

My understanding is there are several locations for a VIN number, including one inside the glove box...I agree with the last post, Auto Theft will have exact locations for the specific vehicle....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3985 users online. 252 members and 3733 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X