Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait...What? What's going on here? Are they skipping steps?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait...What? What's going on here? Are they skipping steps?

I've gone through my physical fitness exam, academic exam, oral board, written an essay, filled out a personal history statement, and have been in my background check for about a month and a half. When we were filling out our stuff over a month and a half ago, we were told that "unconditional hires" are in October. Once background is finished, we will be going through a polygraph test, another psych test, and an hour long visit with a psychologist.

.. Yesterday, I received a call from the assistant chief of police. Naturally, I thought he was calling me to tell me I made it to the next phase, which is the polygraph test. Instead, he asked me "are you still interested in working for the XXXXX department?" Of course I said yes. Then he said "we're going to move on with the unconditional hire, and I'd like to meet with you next week. The only thing that will be required of you is to take a drug test, which we will do here." The time and date was set.

I didn't want to pry or shoot myself in the foot by asking if we were skipping steps. It sounds like they're not going to do the other stuff that was suppose to be done on me (I.E. polygraph, etc.). I mean I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm a straight arrow. I KNOW there isn't much to find out about me in terms of anything negative. ...But how can they skip steps? I mean that's what it sounds like they're doing...? I'm really confused. I'm not sure if I should be skeptical and it was a mistake in use of words, or if I should start tearing up from the fact that I may have just nailed my dream job, at my dream department, on my first "friggin'" try.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe the bishop called and told them that you were a candidate for sainthood. After you've sewn on your second or third hashmark, then you can think about asking the chief if the hiring process has changed since you came on.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Looks like you got some of that lipstick on the right persons ***.

Couple things that could have happened. You might have scored significantly higher than the other applicants, you could have been the only one close so "sane" status. Tons of things might have shown the department that you are right for the job, plus they might be desperate for someone to go to the academy so they are taking a chance with you.

Just consider this a higher sign that you are definitely meant for this business and do you best. As Tim said don't look a gift horse in the mouth and ask questions about it in a few years after your probation period is done.
      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

I've never heard of an "unconditional" offer. I suspect you may be confusing unconditional for conditional.

Traditionally after you pass the written, oral and physical agility, you are given a conditional offer of employment, subject to your passing the background, psychological and medical.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This is an integrity test, they are seeing if you will step up and suggest that you should be held to the same standard as all other canidates .

Really, I am only joking. I wouldn't be suprised that someone from personnel forgot to tell the old man that you still had to go through all those steps. At the time of the meeting the oversight will be discovered. The old top will grumble a little about how "they never did it that way when he was in patrol" and then promplty schedule you for each event. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
            I've never heard of an "unconditional" offer. I suspect you may be confusing unconditional for conditional.

Traditionally after you pass the written, oral and physical agility, you are given a conditional offer of employment, subject to your passing the background, psychological and medical.
            Now I'm second guessing myself. I could have sworn I heard "un." I'll assume I'm making the mistake you're saying. You're most likely right. The only issue I still have is that I know I didn't make the mistake in hearing "the only thing that will be required of you, is to pass a drug test, which we will do here." He made no mention of the other steps. Not to mention, "unconditional/conditional" hires were said to be in October. That's why I'm still confused as to whether or not we're skipping steps here. As for everyone else, you're absolutely right. I shouldn't ask any questions, but I just can't help but be curious. I'm a victim of my own mind.

Comment

Are they skipping steps.

Just have your butt at the place, and at the time, the Chief told you to . Sounds like you're about to be hired. Good luck!!

Comment

You should ask during the drug screen casually if the polygraph is still required. It may not even be required. Better to ask now. Just get it out of the way now. If it ever came out you never took it and never said anything they'd probably fire you or make you take it. By then even though you're straight you'd be so nervous just from getting caught not taking it, and probably fail it and get fired anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCREDMGR
                  You should ask during the drug screen casually if the polygraph is still required. It may not even be required. Better to ask now. Just get it out of the way now. If it ever came out you never took it and never said anything they'd probably fire you or make you take it. By then even though you're straight you'd be so nervous just from getting caught not taking it, and probably fail it and get fired anyways.
                  Don't listen to this guy....

Comment

Edited: sorry for the post

Comment

Keep your mouth shut and do as you are told.
                      Your turn will come.
                      You may have cut a fat hog.
                      But things are seldom what they seem.
                      CYA and good luck.

Comment

I would tend to agree with the guy that said it was probably a "conditional" offer. Have never heard of an unconditonal one.
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Don't you find it somewhat ironic that you're asking if you should be deceitful about whether or not you should mention that you haven't taken the polygraph?

Especially since the whole point and purpose of the polygraph is to test your honesty and integrity? If that backfires and they find out, your right, they don't have to administer the polygraph because you already gave them the ammunition that you're a liar.

Comment

not true

Not true, they might have a different policy, and don't do poly's. Why should or would it be his obligation to tell the dept. what steps to take. If they confront you, I would just say that you have looked into several different dept's which I'm sure you did, and they all have different policies. Again, who are you to question a chief, not personal !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sheriff2004
                              Not true, they might have a different policy, and don't do poly's. Why should or would it be his obligation to tell the dept. what steps to take. If they confront you, I would just say that you have looked into several different dept's which I'm sure you did, and they all have different policies. Again, who are you to question a chief, not personal !!!!
                              I agree I wouldn't say anything and would just do as I am told. How long does it take to figure out if you did or didn't take the polygraph. Not long. The Chief usually reviews your file up and down before even calling you in. Keep your mouth shut and do as your instructed. It's not deceitful your just doing what they asked you to do. They have the power to eliminate the polygraph if they want to anyway in your behalf, it's there call not yours. Show up confident but humble at the same time and congrads! If they called you in that soon it is obvious they have been talking about you. If it shows up later, it's their flaw not yours and they would have to give you a chance to take it because it's the hiring policy or they will be in for a lawsuit if they fired you. I don't think the Chief is that incompetent. So keep your head up!
                              Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4111 users online. 228 members and 3883 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X