Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a few questions of an email I got.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few questions of an email I got.

I keep getting these emails. But this one was kind of weird. I pasted it below. please tell me if anyone knows, if its a scam or legit. If it is a scam, please tell me how they use this type of email as a scam..
    THanks

EMail:

Dear Jason,

I have received your mail. My company does major export to
    countries around the globe.I must thank you for your interest to become my
    payment agent but before we commence it will be better you become more
    aquinted with details of my proposal.
    I seek a payment agent in your province due to language barrier. I find
    problem with dealing directly with my customers. So to this end I seek the
    assitance of individuals or a group to assist me.
    My company Merryland Chemicals Limited was established in 2001.I export raw
    materials such as non-metallic minerals such as Calcite,
    Barytes,Manganese Dioxide , Dolomite,Mica , China Clay,Mangnese Dioxide
    ,Ferrous (Iron ) Oxide ,pharmaceutical intermediates and bulk drugs
    including nicotinic acid, levofloxacin,chlorhexidine,cholesterol, dopamine,
    cyclopentolate,and vitamin D3.
    The various industries we cater to are paints,rubber, plastics, construction
    chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
    My sales varies from different sizes as you will be
    sent a full schedule of our yearly export and net income on your partnership
    and competence with me.I will also like to note here that you would be
    acting as my payment agent in your country.In other words,you
    will be collecting payment from customers I supply goods to.By doing this on
    my behalf you will be paid 10% of very amount thatyou collect.This is how it
    goes whenever there is a payment to be made by
    any of my customers .
    Payment would either come to you in the form of cheque or money order which
    you will have to cash from your bank.
    Before we commence properly,I require the following
    from you.
    1.)Full names
    2.)Detailed mailing address
    3.)Contact telephone/fax numbers
    4.) Form of identity ( such as scanned international
    passport or driver's license.)
    5.) Your present Occupation
    6.) Date of Birth.
    I look forward to a good working relationship with you.

Faithfully Yours,
    William Ho
    Merryland Chemicals

It's a scam.

If you give them information you want they use it to establish a fake identity and get a line of credit.

Here's some free advice regarding any email you receive from this point forward in your life.
    1. You didn't win anything. Delete the email.
    2. You can't make any money on an opportunity in an email. Delete the email.
    3. There isn't a problem with your credit/eBay account/bank account/etc... Delete the email.

Don't ever click on any link embedded in an email. If you get an email purporting to be from a company you actually do business with, manually enter the company's main URL in your browser, rather than clicking on any link.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

My advice...listen to mobrien, he hit it on the head. I didn't post this just to get on, and I am not being critical of you as in you won't listen to him, but sometimes hearing it from more than one "experienced" person helps.

Run away!

Comment

thanks so much for letting me know. Im not a newbie on the internet, just some of these emails strike me odd lol Especially when they keep trying to call my cell phone. I gave my number for some strange reason, cuz i actually thought it was true and this arabian guy keeps calling leaving messages, and emailing me. I have gotten over 6 different emails from all these different people and they are all about the same. Confuses me alittle lol. they dont ever ask for banking info though, only name address and phone number.. weird.. thanks anyway though

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwarzone
          thanks so much for letting me know. Im not a newbie on the internet, just some of these emails strike me odd lol Especially when they keep trying to call my cell phone. I gave my number for some strange reason, cuz i actually thought it was true and this arabian guy keeps calling leaving messages, and emailing me. I have gotten over 6 different emails from all these different people and they are all about the same. Confuses me alittle lol. they dont ever ask for banking info though, only name address and phone number.. weird.. thanks anyway though
          You say that you are not a newbe on the internet, but yet your gave them you cell phone number?? I'm sorry, but that was really, really stupid. Have you ever thought about just deleting the junk email and not reading it?

If you need to ask if the email you received is a scam of legit, you have a lot to learn. Any questionable email should not be opened and should be deleted right away.

Comment

Why wouldn't it be real? Sounds like your the right guy for the job.
            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

wow, some people can be complete jerks here huh? Well looks like I wont be asking anymore questions. Thought I would just ask some advice and i get two complete *******s who like to be ignorant and answer like a bunch of wiseasses. What a really professional website, they got running here!

Comment

It is a scam. I have investigated several cases nearly identifcal to this. A lot of people have fallen for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                  It is a scam. I have investigated several cases nearly identifcal to this. A lot of people have fallen for it.

You can also have a lot of fun, playing with the scammers. Check out:

http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

http://www.geocities.com/scamjokepage/

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                    You can also have a lot of fun, playing with the scammers. Check out:

http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

http://www.geocities.com/scamjokepage/

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Thanks L-1, that Ebola Monkey Man is hilarious!!!!!!

Comment

wow, some people can be complete jerks here huh? Well looks like I wont be asking anymore questions. Thought I would just ask some advice and i get two complete *******s who like to be ignorant and answer like a bunch of wiseasses. What a really professional website, they got running here!
                      Was it something we said JHoek? Sheesh, sensitive are we?
                      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Hey, this isn't a Nickelodeon website. You should know how we are here. If not, read some other posts. You got it easy. All they were trying to say is that it was unwise to provide your personal cell number to complete strangers. We just like to r*** you a little. You gotta understand how cops joke, or go to another site.

Comment

Originally posted by mickmack111
                          Hey, this isn't a Nickelodeon website. You should know how we are here. If not, read some other posts. You got it easy. All they were trying to say is that it was unwise to provide your personal cell number to complete strangers. We just like to r*** you a little. You gotta understand how cops joke, or go to another site.
                          This might not be "Nickelodeon," but it is a forum where people are invited to ask questions of cops and hopefully not get abuse in reply. I know about the cop sense of humor, but this isn't the place for it. If a citizen stopped you on patrol and asked you a question, how would you respond? Would you insert "cop humor" into your answer?

The anonymity of this forum makes people get a little reckless, I think. The cops here have to appreciate that most of the people that post questions are uninformed and well-intentioned, and they are going to be put off by wise-acre responses. I'm going to be put off by them, too.

Please keep this reasonably professional, so that I don't have to "police the police."

jasonwarzone, I apologize on behalf of Officer.com. Sometimes people just get carried away.
                          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4205 users online. 259 members and 3946 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X