300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty-Getting robbed at a Gas Station

An off-duty cadet armed with a gun under his shirt is filling his tank. When the cadet turns around, and finds that a gun is pointed to his stomach, the robber demands the cadet's wallet. After the robber takes the wallet and runs away from the gas station, should the cadet whip out his gun and shoot? If the cadet did shoot and hit the robber, will the cadet go to jail or be prosecuted?

my first question is, if you are a cadet, are you already commissioned and or sworn in,, if not then i dont believe you are authorized to carry a weapon yet,

Comment

Originally posted by Cadet626
      An off-duty cadet armed with a gun under his shirt is filling his tank. When the cadet turns around, and finds that a gun is pointed to his stomach, the robber demands the cadet's wallet. After the robber takes the wallet and runs away from the gas station, should the cadet whip out his gun and shoot? If the cadet did shoot and hit the robber, will the cadet go to jail or be prosecuted?
      Deadly force policies vary from place to place, but most of them boil down to this: you can shoot in defense of your own life or the life of another. If the cadet shoots the robber as he is fleeing, is anyone in danger for their life? I would say, "no." It's also established under Tennessee v. Garner that cops aren't supposed to shoot fleeing felons unless they present an immediate threat to life (e.g. if the robber is running toward a crowded schoolyard, you might have a shot, but otherwise, no). So, find a gas station in a safer neighborhood, and don't shoot any robbers (or anyone else) while you're still a cadet. In fact, try to avoid it as an officer, too. It produces much heartache and paperwork. Trust me, I know.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
        Deadly force policies vary from place to place, but most of them boil down to this: you can shoot in defense of your own life or the life of another. If the cadet shoots the robber as he is fleeing, is anyone in danger for their life? I would say, "no." It's also established under Tennessee v. Garner that cops aren't supposed to shoot fleeing felons unless they present an immediate threat to life (e.g. if the robber is running toward a crowded schoolyard, you might have a shot, but otherwise, no). So, find a gas station in a safer neighborhood, and don't shoot any robbers (or anyone else) while you're still a cadet. In fact, try to avoid it as an officer, too. It produces much heartache and paperwork. Trust me, I know.
        or just stand at "ready gun" while you are pumping gas

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
          Now, I could swear I just heard you say shoot him before he runs away.. (IE: While the gun is still pointed at you)

So, as the guy is running away, pull your gun and yell "HEY, YOU FORGOT THE OTHER $100 BILL I HAVE".. When he turns around, blast em!

LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by RobSlig
            Now, I could swear I just heard you say shoot him before he runs away.. (IE: While the gun is still pointed at you)

So, as the guy is running away, pull your gun and yell "HEY, YOU FORGOT THE OTHER $100 BILL I HAVE".. When he turns around, blast em!

LOL..
            hahahhahahha

i'm starting to like you more and more. *atleast you have some good ideas.*

Comment

Make sure the cadet holsters an empty and safe weapon after shooting the robber. So when they throw him outta the academy, and possibly charge him criminally, he can at least show em he learned sumthin

Comment

Originally posted by RobSlig

LOL..

...or if you can run like Carl Lewis, you can try to outrun him by few yards then stop and face towards him, then shoot him, you can at least say he was running towards you armed with a handgun and he's an immediate threat. As I always say, "When in doubt, whip it out - empty the magazine!" What the hell, it worked for me numerous times in the gulf. I'm still in one piece with a few loose screws!
                "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

Hm Good Question I Guess Just Call It In And Try To Follow Him But Not To Close

Comment

Are Cadets even supposed to have guns? I know in my dept. all cadets are under 21 (you must enter the academy class in which you turn 21) therefore they shouldn't even own a handgun let alone carry one. If this Cadet was in tha academy and over 21, while in the academy you cannot carry, even if you have a CCW permit. But in this instance the person would be considered a recruit. Better off not shooting someone while they are running away anyway.

Comment

Cadets have no gun to carry here and no authority to do so since they are not sworn until after academy.

No one shoots at a fleeing felon unles the felon turns to shoot or again becomes an aggressor. In the 60's and early 70' he would have had 18 rounds in the middle of the back and the cop praised for damn good shootin'.

This cadet must have looked nothing like a cadet or cop and looked like easy pickin's to the robber.

Comment

Well...you know there are ways around that one. 1 in the back and when he goes down you roll him over and say he spun while you fired.
                        "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

well what if he was a regular leo thats wut im sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                            No one shoots at a fleeing felon unles the felon turns to shoot or again becomes an aggressor.
                            This statement all depeneds on what crime the felon has committed.

Comment

I know state to state it is different but, in Illinois, if the felonious flee'er is runngin away from you gun in hand it would be a justified shoot.
                              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4042 users online. 270 members and 3772 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X