300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and Driving Question

I wasn't sure whether this would go in traffic enforcement or not...

I was wondering what the best way to tell if your driver is sober enough to drive is, while at the same time trying not to offend them.

Because I was at my best friend's house (we're both 15) for dinner and both her mother and her mom's boyfriend were drinking a bit. I'm not sure how much they had exactly, but they had glasses meant for beer and I know they had been filled with wine to the top at least twice within 1.5-2 hours.
    Well, it turned out her mom's bf was going to drive me home (I hadn't been aware of this, I thought it would be her mom, I don't like the bf he sexually abused the daughter from his previous marriage and has a lot of problems) and I managed to get to call my parents to pick me up instead.
    They got upset that I wouldn't let them drive me home after they had something to drink and wouldn't let their daughter hang out with me anymore.

And now I don't let anyone drive me home if I know they've had anything at all to drink. My friends tell me I need to relax about this, that I'm being too paranoid. Am I unreasonable about this?
    Is there any way to safely judge if a person is OK to safely drive, keeping in mind that a BAC lower than a technical DUI can still cause impairment?

Sorry if this was confusing.
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    And now I don't let anyone drive me home if I know they've had anything at all to drink. My friends tell me I need to relax about this, that I'm being too paranoid. Am I unreasonable about this?
    Absolutely not. If there is any doubt in your mind about the ability of someone to operate a car safely, for any reason, don't get in the car. Just about every drunk driver thinks that they are "perfectly okay to drive" (boy, have I heard that one a hundred times). You, as a sober person, are a much better judge of that ability. Just like the commercial says, "Friends don't let friends drive drunk."
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

who cares if you offend them,,, do you want to get dead or horrilby maimed, or stay alive and verticle.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
        who cares if you offend them,,, do you want to get dead or horrilby maimed, or stay alive and verticle.
        I follow a rule of "My safety first, your feelings second", but I'd still like to avoid offending them if possible while still being safe.
        Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

I concur with the above two posts.

Accepting a ride home from someone who has been drinking, especially if you don't have the ability to evaluate them, or don't know how much they have consumed, is not only a bad idea, it is risking your life.

I realize friends are important at a young age but it would appear that your friend's family has other issues that could cause you some danger besides the drinking and driving issue.
          Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

Drinking and Driving Question

You made the proper decision. I wish more young people, and some older people would exercise such good judgement. If you offended the mother, too bad. It's not even worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
              You made the proper decision. I wish more young people, and some older people would exercise such good judgement. If you offended the mother, too bad. It's not even worth considering.
              Thanks.
              What got me more upset is that I found out a couple days ago that they took out like 6 of my friends to dinner after they finished packing her house up (they're moving) and then after having a couple drinks then drove my friends home and even more than that none of my friends had the sense to step back and say "woah, this isn't right".
              I'm glad that I helped them move but declined the dinner invitation because of what had happened before, and I'm glad my friends are OK.
              But I *hopefully* won't have to deal with this anymore because she and her family moved to Germany today. :sad:

Comment

Drinking and driving question

Moved to Germany? Wunderbar!! The German cops just LOVE drunk drivers.

Comment

4blue,
                  First let me say that if your only 15 and thinking like this, you have a good head on your shoulders. I will just assume that that is where you want to keep it too.

Never put someones "feelings" above your safety. What amazes me is that as parents themselves, they would put you in that type of situation. I rarely drink anymore, but I NEVER have a drink when I know I have to drive my family around or others. Not worth it to me.

Bottom line: (already was said but) If YOU don't feel safe, get another ride home. I'm sure your parents will never mind considering the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    Moved to Germany? Wunderbar!! The German cops just LOVE drunk drivers.
                    Is that sarcasm? Sorry, I guess I don't know german cops all that well

Comment

You made the correct decision and you may be alive today because of that decision. You never know what may happen if you ride with a drunk driver. It only takes one bad DUI crash to see this. Most unfortunatley alot of youg people choose to drive drunk. I hope you continue to have this attitude about driving drunk.

Comment

If you have to ask, the answer is yes he/she had too much.

It's kind of like asking if that gun is loaded; if you have to ask it is!
                        Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                        between you
                        and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

So you shouldn't get in the car even if you know the person's only had one beer?

Comment

4blue CONGRATULATIONS! You're FAAAAAAAAAr smarter than I was at 15. ALL the other officers here are 100% right. But let me add just 1 thing: many states will charge a driver if they can show imapairment "to the slightest degree" and the first thing to go when you drink IS judgment! That being said, the bf as far as I'm concerned already showed impairment when,knowing he had been drinking (a lot) he agreed to get in a car & drive,not just himself, but he took on the responsibilty of YOUR safety. I only wish others were as smart as you!

Comment

Drinking and driving

Yah, it's a little sarcasm, but it's also very true. Once again, and in all seriousness, you made the correct choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4085 users online. 273 members and 3812 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X