300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Suppose if I have been a former reserve police officer, reserve SGT, Temporary part-time officer, full-time officer, and temporary Chief as well. Also have an associates degree in criminal justice, currently going for a bachelor degree in criminal justice, a former Red Cross disaster relief volunteer, have a diploma in security/police sciences, have 52 credit hours from CLEET (Oklahoma) in training, and 21 certificates from FEMA in emergency management training. All of this leads up to nothing and people snub their noses at it all, because I do not have a excellent work history. What would you all think about that? Is it stupid of me or are they stupid for not using me? I ask the question, because I am about to go through something that will let me become at least a reserve officer again and would like all of your opinions. Is this rediculous to have all of that education and training behind me? Thank you for your responses ahead of time and I have respected all of your comments on all of my posts before, so i thought it would be a good time to ask your opinions on my thoughts.

-Brad

You were everything from a Reserve to a Temporary officer and even a Chief?! What the hell kind of PD was that? I concede that I am not an expert in OK LE but that is not too impressive in that it makes little sense to me.

Again maybe FEMA training is a big deal in OK but it really does not mean much if you have a poor work history. I know plenty of "professional students" who will take each and every LE course offered, but they're still lousy cops. They just like playing cop and telling war stories but apply none of the extra training they have received out on the street.

Having some FEMA courses and an AS Degree under your belt is good but that means nothing as to the type of cop you are/will be.

I'm NOT saying that this applies to you but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. None of us here knows you personally, perhaps it's an issue of maturity or judgement.
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-30-2005, 11:17 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Thanks BrickCop, I appreciate your comments.

Comment

Can you elaborate on that "I do not have a excellent work history part"? with out more info no one can give you a straight answer.

Comment

Code3kd, I mean that I do not have like 5-10 years in 1 job. Employers are looking at me like I am a looser and turned me down because of that, here in Texas anyway. I would just like opinions on my comments and not criticize me over my post. I have asked heads of department about these things and they never respond to me. Thanks for asking for a clearer answer on my post and hope that helps you give me answers.

-Brad

Comment

Ok how do I explain this...

Even if you look good "on paper" there may still be things about you that PDs will take a pass on. Again I could be wrong, you may have just hit a rough patch along the career path and will soon be hired. Then again you could have inadequate personal and/or communication skills. None of us can give you an accurate answer to your specific situation.

Ideally a candidate should have a stable work history and not be a job gypsy. However the kind of employee you were is just as important as your length of service, or lack thereof in said job.
            Last edited by BrickCop; 08-30-2005, 11:28 PM.
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

We looked more at why you left a job. If they "downsized", that's different from a series of "personality conflicts".
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                Ok how do I explain this...

Even if you look good "on paper" there may still be things about you that PDs will take a pass on. Again I could be wrong, you may have just hit a rough patch along the career path and will soon be hired. Then again you could have inadequate personal and/or communication skills. None of us can give you an accurate answer to your specific situation.

Ideally a candidate should have a stable work history and not be a job gypsy. However the kind of employee you were is just as important as your length of service, or lack thereof in said job.
                Thanks again BrickCop, I guess I should not have asked anyone though about it.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                  We looked more at why you left a job. If they "downsized", that's different from a series of "personality conflicts".

Sleuth, thanks. I think I understand you.

-Brad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5305 users online. 292 members and 5013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X