300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help?! Rapist question from PA

Hi. I have a serious question. There is a person in my neighborhood who was charged and convicted and sentenced to 30-60 mos followed by 5 yrs prob. and life enrollment in Megans law, in 2002 for mollesting his infant daughter until she was 2. He still is not serving any time due to appealing his case. It was just infront of the superior court and reargument was denied, now he is appealing it to the PA Supreme court. So he is still in the street, he lives within 2 blocks of a school. My question is, do I have a right as a citizen to notify neighbors of this felon by ways of fliers, etc. or to notify the school by where he lives, or must I wait until after all of his appeals or serves his time to notify neighbors. What am I allowed to do and what am I not allowed to do as a citizen to notify others so that I cover my own butt so that I dont get into trouble for deff. of character, or whatever. Thank you for your responses!!

I am unsure about PA law, but typically once someone is convicted and registered as a sex offender, the info is public record and free to distribute as you choose. As a matter of fact, the local S.O. has a deputy that goes around door-to-door and hands out flyers when a sex offender moves into a neighborhood. I suggest calling your local State/District/County Attorney and getting the info from the source.
    God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Daisy, I can't think of any PA criminal statute that you would be violating by advising your neighbors and the school administration of the facts as you know them. If you are concerned with being civilly liable for slander or libel consult an attorney. PA's Megan Law statute doesn't allow the State Police to post his photo on its web site until the offender has been certified by the court which apparently won't happen until the appeals are exhausted since the court has allowed him to continue bail. Once he is certified the DA has to make application to the court to have the offender declared a sexually violent predator for the police to make community notification and that is dependant on the charges he was actually convicted of.
      When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

First of all I would like to thank you for your concern with your community and your family. Most people don't use the resources they have been given by states to protect themselves and others against criminal actions (even sicko's like this guy.) I think your idea is great and I don't forsee any problems with it, but I do suggest speaking with an attorney first. I wouldn't want yourself to be liable for hurting this poor wacko's feelings. Thanks again from a fellow pa citizen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4824 users online. 298 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X