300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting as Cadet

I am starting next week as paid police cadet at a department in wisconsin, very excited i get paid to do Ride-alongs as well as assisting officers and the not so fun police reports and other office work. I will be getting the identical uniform, collar brass, patches and badge as the officers.

However, I have owned a crown victoria police interceptor for about a year now just as my normal driving car and am seriously considering selling it due to the fact that I dont want people to think im a cop. I originally got the vehicle because my old car was broken into twice and since ive had the vic... it has not happened :P which is good. I cringe when i see people stare at me and think that im a cop... I have even had people even flag me down and all i do is drive past, regretting me having the vehicle. Having the car makes me notice when I drive in the city how many "thugs" and not so... "upstanding"... citizens have police interceptors trying to look like cops. It is pretty gutwrenching when you hear on the news about a young girl getting raped by a police impersonater who was pulled over by a convincing LEO vehicle.

However I DO genuinely want to be a police officer... But I dont want anyone getting the wrong idea until im completely Sworn:P

How many of you LEO's have come accross alot of citizened owned PI's in the past or have you ever tagged any impersonaters?

I am not a cop, just commenting on the post.

I believe it would be good to get rid of the CV. To officers it makes you look like a wannabee, and to civies it makes you look like a cop.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Agreed

Agreed thought about it... good idea. Anyone live in the wisconsin vicinity wanna buy a CVPI?. hehe

Edit: spelling

Comment

Starting as a Cadet

Congratulations on the start of your law enforcement career. If your CV is running well, and not costing you an arm and a leg for gas and maintenance, I don't think I'd spend too much time worrying about what other people might think. With the immense popularity of the CV as a police vehicle, it's easy to understand people confusing it with an official police unit. Basically, it's your decision as to whether or not to keep it. I simply wouldn't be too concerned with what other people think. Good luck in your career.

Comment

Congrats Cadet262

I also have a question of becoming a cadet. 1 weeks prior of submitting my cadet application to the Pomona Police Department, I received my first ticket for speeding. My court date is during october and I plan to admit not guilty. I want to know if the ticket will affect my driving record on the day the ticket was issued or after the court appearance(losing the case)?

If the ticket did affect my driving record on the day the ticket was issued, is it still possible that the department will accept my application?

Thank you!

Comment

I'd get rid of the car. Your preparing to enter the big leagues!! Time to change! You're going to be viewed by lots of "brass" now, and the last thing they need to see is you acting as a wannabe by driving a old police car. Plus with gas prices as high as they are, go buy yourself a little 3 cyl. and save some $$$

Good Luck!!
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee
              I'd get rid of the car. Your preparing to enter the big leagues!! Time to change! You're going to be viewed by lots of "brass" now, and the last thing they need to see is you acting as a wannabe by driving a old police car. Plus with gas prices as high as they are, go buy yourself a little 3 cyl. and save some $$$

Good Luck!!
              I completely agree. I would see it as a wannabe and that does not look good to the "brass". We had a cadet that drove a CV and was a complete WB. We would see him driving by traffic stops and calls because he was running a scanner and chasing us around. He also drove like a fool and was always speeding. One night, I had enough and got him 42 in a 30. I stopped him and wrote him a ticket. He got mad and said he was going to tell the Sheriff (like I care). As I got back in my car, he kicked the interceptor into gear and took off. Guess what I did? Switched my radar to stationary and got him at 46 in a 30. Stopped him again and wrote him again. The next day he told the Col. and when he did, the Col. asked him to turn his equipment in and he was off the explorers the following day. He also paid both tickets.

I am a far cry from a jerk and I am really cool to the explorers and believe 100% in Professional Courtesy, but I don't take kindly to wannabe's. Not saying you will be one, but with a car like that, you could easily be perceived as one.
              "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Don

Comment

[QUOTE=Tennsix]Don

Comment

I am starting next week as paid police cadet at a department in wisconsin, very excited i get paid to do Ride-alongs as well as assisting officers and the not so fun police reports and other office work. I will be getting the identical uniform, collar brass, patches and badge as the officers
                    That's interesting. Before we can be paid to be on the road and get a badge we have to be POST certified and sworn in. In other words... we have to go through police academy.

So you just roll up and get a badge eh? That scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by horne80
                      That's interesting. Before we can be paid to be on the road and get a badge we have to be POST certified and sworn in. In other words... we have to go through police academy.

So you just roll up and get a badge eh? That scares me.
                      Edit: The badge is about 10% smaller

Comment

Cadet262--get rid of thecar. SWATTEAM, depending on how fast you were driving and if you're found guilty it MAY delay your hiring. If it was under 20mph it may only be a civil ticket and you may be eligible for Traffic Safety School in your state. If it was 20+, now we're talking criminal speeding and that's a different animal. I suggest you talk to your recruiter or background investigator, tell him EXACTLY what happened and hope for the best. Here in Phx. we really don't worry about the civil tickets but criminal speedingwill usually get you dropped. Sorry it happened & good luck

Comment

Go buy a Kia. Cheap, better gas mileage and the assurance that it is in good shape since it is new. AND, eventhough they are Kias... actually better looking than a Clown Vic.
                          sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3442 users online. 174 members and 3268 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X