Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's against Federal Law to discriminate against you based on your national origin. But your citizenship status is not mentioned. I would take with a grain of salt the "legal" advice you are getting. Of course employers (especially those dealing in public safety/national security) should be able to and indeed do discriminate against those who are not US citizens.

You have no grounds for a federal civil rights lawsuit. In fact, the federal govt is an everyday discriminator against non-citizens. See if you get a Special Agent job with any federal law enforcement agency without US citizenship. Try and get any job in the military that requires even a low level security clearance...

If you look around, there are plenty of agencies that will hire you with a Green Card. Find out which states don't require US citizenship to certify you as a police officer, then search within those states for agencies that don't insist on it.

However, be warned...the hiring pipeline can be long and drawn out. Red tape and bureacracy are just a s frustrating in the US as I'm sure you found it in the UK.

Later.
    Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
      Not trying to pick on you, but it is the British Army not the Royal Army (I got blasted for saying that when I worked in NATO).
      You know, he always called it the British Army, and I was trying to be politically correct. Obviously, I failed at it. Aren't the other services (Air Force, Navy, Marines) "Royals?" I wonder why the Army is different?
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

It has something to do with how thier Army has formed through the years. In the RAF and Royal Navy there are no subordinate units with the Royal moniker, perhaps with the exception of the Royal Marines. I am not sure if they fall under the Royal Navy or if they are thier own entitiy. If I am not mistaken the Royal moniker is a honor bestowed by the Monarch.
        No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

god this is getting into a long drawn out forum,

Having done a bit of reaserch myself - Citizenship status IS mentioned,

quote -

Sec. 44.200 Unfair immigration-related employment practices.

(a)(1) It is unfair immigration-related employment practice
          for a person or other entity to knowingly and intentionally discriminate
          or to engage in a pattern or practice of knowing and intentional
          discrimination against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien)
          with respect to the hiring, or recruitment or referral for a fee, of the
          individual for employment or the discharging of the individual from
          employment--
          (i) Because of such individual's national origin; or
          (ii) In the case of a protected individual, as defined in
          Sec. 44.101(c), because of such individual's citizenship status.
          (2) Intimidation or retaliation. It is an unfair immigration-related
          employment practice for a person or other entity to intimidate,
          threaten, coerce, or retaliate against any individual for the purpose of
          interfering with any right or privilege secured under 8 U.S.C. 1324b or
          because the individual intends to file or has filed a charge or a
          complaint, testified, assisted, or participated in any manner in an
          investigation, proceeding, or hearing under that section.
          (3) Documentation abuses. A person's or other entity's request, for
          purposes of satisfying the requirements of 8 U.S.C. 1324a(b), for more
          or different documents than are required under such section or refusing
          to honor documents tendered that on their face reasonably appear to be
          genuine and to relate to the individual shall be treated as an unfair
          immigration-related employment practice relating to the hiring of
          individuals.

section (a)(1)(ii) states that in the case of "protected individuals" it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of citizenship status - provided that the alien is an authorised one (ie - Legal)

Having looked up section 44.101 Protected aliens are ones who are permanent residents and a few other categories - which i am.

So Citizenship is mentioned.

Comment

The Federal govenment is exempt from the fair hiring practice statutes, because Congess wrote them that way, but states and local governments aren't. Federal law supersedes state statutes.
            When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

[

Right now im in Florida, where FL law states that you have to be a US citizen to be a cop - i just need to find the right dept and ill be out of here before you can say "hurricane"

Thanks for your time

Malcolm[/QUOTE] Hi Malcom,than don

Comment

"Citizenship" is not a protected class under federal civil rights act. You have no case. Find a dept that does not require citizenship (then are lots of them) or else become a citizen.

I was in the same boat as yourself several years ago. I kept searching until I found departments who would let me test without being being a citizen.

You are really grasping straws if you think you can sue your way onto a dept because of "citizenship" discrimination.

It might not be a bad idea to apply for some agencies with long hiring pipelines. By the time your number comes up you could very well be about to get your US citizenship. When I applied for citizenship the process took about 6 months.

Also, be aware you can start the citizenship application process 6 months before your 5 year residency has been reached.

Later.
                Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Comment

Im not going to fight it or anything but i think your wrong -

It clearly says as per my post above that Citizenship IS a protected status, the same as race, sex etc

Comment

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of information.

Thank you all and especially "napes" for this thread. I have been a corrections officer in Vancouver, Canada since 1995 and I am very interested in pursuing a career in L.E. in the U.S. Only problem is I don't have a green card and am not even sure how to obtain one. I remember someone telling me on this website to join your military because apparently, they accept Canadians for recruitment. Would this be the only way to obtain a green card without waiting 10 years on a waiting list? Any advice?

I would be willling to seek U.S. citizenship if required, in order to pursue a career in U.S. L.E. Thanks in advance.................
                    Last edited by vpscguard; 10-02-2005, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vpscguard
                      Thank you all and especially "napes" for this thread. I have been a corrections officer in Vancouver, Canada since 1995 and I am very interested in pursuing a career in L.E. in the U.S. Only problem is I don't have a green card and am not even sure how to obtain one. I remember someone telling me on this website to join your military because apparently, they accept Canadians for recruitment. Would this be the only way to obtain a green card without waiting 10 years on a waiting list? Any advice?

I would be willling to seek U.S. citizenship if required, in order to pursue a career in U.S. L.E. Thanks in advance.................
                      I posted something similar a few years a go under a different nickname. I was frustrated with trying to get into policing in Canada in the mid 90's and had given up and was looking south of the border. Then a Mountie replied and told me to apply to the RCMP one more time. I did, and I sailed on through.

So, I am going to do the same to you! Why not apply to the RCMP?

We need good people so bad that you only compete against yourself! If you pass all the benchmarks you're in. It's that simple.

Private Message me if you want too.

Comment

Your welcome for the list!

Hope it is of some help to you!

as for getting your hands on a green card, it really boils down to one of a few ways to get you hands on one.

From the little i know ( having been through the system myself) you can only get one if you fit into one of the following groups -

1. You have an immediate family member that is a us citizen (mother, father, spouse etc)
                        2. You hold an "advanced degree" and / or are a "skilled worker" and can self petition to emmigrate based on your "exceptional ability"
                        3. You have a ton of cash and intend to use it to start up a Business that will employ 10 US citizens
                        4. you get one from the green card lottery

theres a few other ways - and most of them are answered by looking at this link to the USCIS site.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqs.htm

the rules might be different for canadian citizens, check it out!

and good luck....! - its definetly attainable

Mal

Comment

P.S. - did you see this thread???

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=napes

Comment

Napes,
                            Just went over the IMLaw regarding you, an Lawful Permanent Resident(LPR), holding a valid I-551 card can work in the U.S. as a LEO. However, Federal law can be superceded by State law, as in the case of Florida's statute. I suggest looking for a jurisdiction that doesn't require US citizenship. Good luck! I also recommend that you look into status change as soon as possible to get the ball rolling as it may take up to two years to effect the change.
                            "A Nation without Borders is not a Nation."
                            - Ronald Reagan

"Every immigrant that comes here should be required, within five years, to learn English or leave the country." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Liberalism is a mental disease." - Mike Savage

Comment

Strummer I think you can apply three months before you are eligible for citizenship, not five. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know more!

vpscguard, as far as I know the US military does not hire or recruit Canadian citizens. You need US permanent residency to even apply to the US military. Otherwise, every foreign national would enter the US via the military. Working here is not easy to do legally. Your best route would be to marry a US citizen, or to become a police officer in Canada, then gain sponsorship from a US LE agency and lateral across. I doubt a US agency would take you as a corrections officer, as they don't generally even offer police laterals to US CO's.
                              It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

Napes : I'm in the same boat as yourself as of next year.

Looking at potential in Alaska (actually not half bad having spent a month out there) and Virginia.

Other potential and great feedback from Fairfax County PD in Virginia and Phoenix PD in Arizona.

Best of luck to you! *s*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2245 users online. 145 members and 2100 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X