Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overweight cops that are in shape(so to speak)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overweight cops that are in shape(so to speak)

All this talk about overwieght cops. Now I have a question. What if you have an officer what is larger in size but can do everything that a smaller size officer can do? I say this b/c I
    Deputy Sheriff

I suppose the bottom line should be whether or not you can do the job. However, fair or not, first impressions are lasting.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

[QUOTE=killa75dt]All this talk about overwieght cops. Now I have a question. What if you have an officer what is larger in size but can do everything that a smaller size officer can do? I say this b/c I
      Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

I work with a guy who is a big fellow. I'm talking 350 pounds easy. Not all muscle either. This guy is strong as an ox! He can bench close to 400 lbs, and is very proficient in martial arts. I worked with him on the street for 4 years and would rather have him as back-up than just about anyone else.
        God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

I'm not fat, I just have "big bones." So, anyways, I come in at about 275 pounds on a 6'4" frame. I am not now, nor was I ever skinny, or a paragon of physical fitness. However, I have, over the last 28 years or so, been able to hold my own in whatever the situation. It helps that I don't smoke or drink. For anyone to say that because a person is carrying extra weight that they aren't able to do the job and be a good officer is ludicrious.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Overweight cops

Not arguing at all with the posts concerning the big(seemingly out of shape guys) doing the job when called upon. Believe me, I've seen a few of them in action. The only answer I can really come up with here, is that of "image". I'm not real certain I buy all of that myself, but a whole lot of agencies want their troops to look like the ultimate physical specimen. Very few actually do,but agencies want to establish a norm. The wise administrator knows when to make exceptions, if the "policy wonks" let him.

Comment

overweight

If the standard of weight is measured by appearance, slim cops would be just as much of a liability. Just remember that with added weight, comes increased internal problems. If blood pressure, and cardiac testing is frequently done, then let the job performance speak for itself. Unfortunately, we are hearing of 20-30 cops a year dying from cardiac arrest during confrontations with younger, better conditioned criminals, or even just chasing juveniles. Consider the recent deaths of large, overweight athletes as a symptom of the publics perception of "in shape".
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

[QUOTE=killa75dt]All this talk about overwieght cops. Now I have a question. What if you have an officer what is larger in size but can do everything that a smaller size officer can do? I say this b/c I
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I once overheard a co-worker respond to a perp,
                  "I'm not a fat cop!....I'm just the thick part of the thin blue line!"

I loved that line.

Comment

Originally posted by mz248
                    Those large overweight athletes are probably in better shape than 90 percent of the cops out there. I'm a former football player and still am about 605 300 lbs. I have never had a problem doing this job and am pretty confident that my fellow officers like having me as backup. I work out and in recent years have realized that cardio is probably more important for my health than lifting weights which is what I did as a football player. I would love to lose some weight for my own reasons but it has never impacted my ability to do the job. That should be the bottom line if somebody can perform the essential functions of the job it really isn't the department's business what they look like. If they can't then the department needs to step in.
                    You've obviously considered your overall health more important than your size. I agree that a large, fit backup is a welcome addition to any bad situation and large doesn't necessarily mean fat and sloppy looking. Just being the devils advocate, grossly overweight usually means hidden health problems, either today or tomorrow. And yes, I kow that skinny cops can also be a liability.
                    Jerry
                    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5285 users online. 295 members and 4990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X