X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by bgofast72
    Could people tell me why it is required that when you apply for a law enforcement position, you have to be height/weight proportionate?
    I agree. I think law enforcement agencies should be required to have annual PT tests like the military.

Originally posted by cst.sb
    Ok.. pet peeve of mine. I get annoyed with wanna-be's, can't get ins, and applicants, looking at current police officers and making judgment calls. To me it's shows a huge lack of maturity.
    And making excuses show lack of a sense of responsibility.

Some of the "fat guys", have spent years working night shifts, they've been in car accidents, and they've blown disks in their backs while arresting people. This job can be hard on the body.
    Don't put fat guys in quotation marks. There's no accusations going on. We're talking about fat officers. People in the military have had to do worse things to their bodies and they are still held by a annual PT test. If you take care of your body in the first place your far less liable to get blown disks, bad hips, or even lower the extent of injuries because your body is more conditioned.

In a perfect world all of us police officers would be in shape, but the world is far from perfect.
    Great mentality. I'm in less than ideal shape, I'm not going to lie. I could stand to run a couple more miles a week and maybe do a few more push ups. But I do feel that if things broke bad I'm in shape enough to protect me and mine and that of my fellow officer. And I'm sure as hell am not going make a crappy excuse like "Eh, the world's not perfect." That's great. I hope I'm not in the fight for my life and end up getting killed because some fat *** with that mentality ran out of breath before he got on scene.
    Last edited by Centurion44; 08-26-2005, 03:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MAD_MAX333
    replied
    i understand what you are saying but people who are out of shape and on the road are a danger to themselves and possibly the public ( failer to protect the public) if they do have alot of exprience then get desk jopbs or super jobs and put ur exprience to a better use and leave the physical part of the job to the new guys no???

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    Originally posted by RobSlig
    There is strength in variety.
    Ok.. pet peeve of mine. I get annoyed with wanna-be's, can't get ins, and applicants, looking at current police officers and making judgment calls. To me it's shows a huge lack of maturity.

Some of the "fat guys", have spent years working night shifts, they've been in car accidents, and they've blown disks in their backs while arresting people. This job can be hard on the body.

In a perfect world all of us police officers would be in shape, but the world is far from perfect.

Leave a comment:

• RobSlig
    replied
    There is strength in variety.

Leave a comment:

• bgofast72
    replied
    Originally posted by webjeep
    Personally I think that a semi-annual or annual physical fitness standard should be required for LE. I say this for several reasons...

1) Presence is the first level of force, if you look like a bag of *** people will not take you seriously.

2) Officer safety, if you are in danger of having a heart attack by standing up and walking a brisk pace for 30 feet then you are a liability to yourself and other officers.

3) The fattest SOB on the force will always be the one who is standing in the middle of the crime scene when the news shows up and all others will be judged by his appearance.

This is a physical job. You spend the majority of your time sitting on your butt, but you need to be able to go from there to full throttle in a heartbeat and not risk having a coronary in the process. This is also a high visibility job and image is important no matter what we would like to think. A sharp appearance brings with it a certain level of respect, people are shallow, what can I say.

You don't have to be beefcake, but being in shape, carrying yourself properly, and displaying the appearance that you give a damn about yourself and your job goes a long way. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but it may jsut be the marine in me.

-web
    webjeep, I agree with you 100% and take no disrespect by anything you said at all. Nicely put!

Leave a comment:

• Okikumasan
    replied
    I agree that phyical fitness should be a part of law enforcement, but I disagree with the block headed idea that every police officer should be 5'8" and 160 lbs. and run like a gazelle. I am 6'2" and weigh 300 lbs. and have a BP of 110/70. I am a 2nd degree black belt and was recently gang tackled by three scrotebags, and I walked away with the arrests. I bench press 400 lbs and can do the required situps. I, however, have degenerative arthiritis in my low back and have not been able to run the 1 and 1/2 mile run in 13:36 to get into the full time academy. I have been involved in foot pursuits and am known for always getting the bad guy (for the last 12 years). I don't mean to sound disgruntled but if the PD is happy with my service, why should the academy be able to tell them I can't work for them because I am "not qualified". The whole Cooper thing needs to be re-evaluated. I know my Chief was very upset because the last time I went to try the run, he saw a guy there that he had washed out of the hiring process because he admitted that he was currently using and supplying steroids to people. There he was getting hired by another agency because he could pass the physical, what is up with that?
    Just my rant, thanks for reading it. BTW, anyone ever heard of a waiver for the run for a disability.
    Harry

Leave a comment:

• MAD_MAX333
    replied
    Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• webjeep
    replied
    Personally I think that a semi-annual or annual physical fitness standard should be required for LE. I say this for several reasons...

1) Presence is the first level of force, if you look like a bag of *** people will not take you seriously.

2) Officer safety, if you are in danger of having a heart attack by standing up and walking a brisk pace for 30 feet then you are a liability to yourself and other officers.

3) The fattest SOB on the force will always be the one who is standing in the middle of the crime scene when the news shows up and all others will be judged by his appearance.

This is a physical job. You spend the majority of your time sitting on your butt, but you need to be able to go from there to full throttle in a heartbeat and not risk having a coronary in the process. This is also a high visibility job and image is important no matter what we would like to think. A sharp appearance brings with it a certain level of respect, people are shallow, what can I say.

You don't have to be beefcake, but being in shape, carrying yourself properly, and displaying the appearance that you give a damn about yourself and your job goes a long way. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but it may jsut be the marine in me.

-web

Leave a comment:

• bgofast72
    started a topic Overweight

Overweight

Could people tell me why it is required that when you apply for a law enforcement position, you have to be height/weight proportionate? I have seen all kinds of law enforcement officers obese, which is a lot overweight from what I hear anyway. Why is this required if you can become overweight after the fact of being hired? I don't think it is fair and would like to find out if anyone agrees or disagrees with me on it. Thanks and I am not trying to be upset or mean about asking this.

-Brad

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2936 users online. 195 members and 2741 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X