Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just loose weight ................. Don't come here and cry that because you're too fat to get to be a cop ..... Do something about it ..... Get off the couch and take a walk, do something or get medical help to loose. If genetics meaning mom and dad are fat and everybody else at the dinner table is fat then you're going to be fat unless you take charge of your life

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
      And then what? Make experienced guys who got hurt on the job and can't run as fast or climb those fences with a single leap just a number and kick them to the curb like a used up ticket book, right?
      I apologize if my post wasn't clear enough. I'm not necessarily saying we should make a PO's annual PT test as stringent as the military's. And I think, like the military, it should be graded on a curve with a person's age and height/weight factored in. But I don't think a basic measurement of an officer's cardio, strength, and endurance abilities is too much to ask. I'm not asking they all be athletes, I'm just asking they not be so out of shape they can't eat a bag of cheetos without breaking a sweat (and yes, I knew a deputy who actually broke a sweat eating a bag of cheetos).l

Originally posted by cst.sb
      Centurion44,

You didn't like the fact I had "fat guys" in quotations because their were "no accusations" going on. And then you go on to make is personal by questioning my sense of responsbility and my mentality. Nice.
      Hey, man, nothing on this board is personal. I just like to argue.

I expected better from you. I consider you are one of the brightest people that post here.
      Thank you- you are wise beyond your years.

Also, how many how many guys will spend 25+ years in the infantry? At least here in Canada, the infantry is a young man's game.
      Every member of the US military, from the Generals down to buck privates are required to pass an annual PT test. There have never been an exception. Like I said, their ages and sex are taken into consideration.

My issue is with wanna be's that drive by a cop and say, "Well jez, look at that guy. He's out of shape. Why should I have to do all this training to get hired." Because they are also the same guys that beak off at incidents about the police not doing there jobs, because they, who have no experience or training, would have done a better job.
      Well, I think the old adage "Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" applies- doesn't matter who makes the comment. And tell you me didn't at least hear other cadets making similar comments when you were running your *** off in the academy.

And personally I rather have a 300lb guy with me day of the week, than some 150lb string bean marathon runner.
      What if your perp is hyped up on meth or PCP and the 300lb guy can't strong arm him? Now the perp is going for the 300lb guy's weapon and it becomes a simple battle of endurance- your unable to help (for whatever reason) and back up is 20 minutes away. Still wouldn't rather have that marathon runner who is used to have an accelerated heart rate for an extended period of time?

I'm also sorry you didn't like my world is not a perfect place comment, but if we made the world perfect and ideal for physically arrests, then all we'd have is 6'4 220lbs 5% body fat 25-30 year old male police officers.
      I just don't like the complacency that was indicated by you. "Eh, we have officers that are out of shape, what are we gonna do?" And to me it's not acceptable. I would like to clear something up- I agree that fat doesn't always mean out of shape. I know there are people (like me) that excercise almost every day and still have a gut. I'm talking about the people that are 250lb of fat, not the people that are 100lbs of fat and 150lb of muscle.

Where do you draw the line on age, gender, height and weight? I would almost guarantee that fatest male cop you know will be able to drop the strongest tuffest female cop you know. But does that make him a better cop? I don't think so.
      I had a smaller female officer instruct one of my advanced DT classes. I'd love to pit her against the fatest male cop you know. She wasn't any bigger than a minute and was throwing me around like a rag doll.
      And for the record, one of the fattest officers I ever seen in my life was female. I honestly don't know how she kept her job. She wasn't even fat, she was flat out obese.

In training we did a two person cuffing drill, I was the bad guy, and the two tuffest females in the troop, one the same weight as me and an inch taller, were the police officers. With in thirty seconds of whistle I had them both pinned (at the same time the video of it is actually quite funny) and I had taken one of their guns away and shot them both. Does this mean we shouldn't hire women?
      No, just means they need to train more. It also means they did good by hiring you.

The other thing is are all going to get older in this job and our bodies will change and so will the way we'll do this job. Experience is a huge asset and it's BS when someone civi drives by and makes a judgement call based off of someone's apearance.
      Personally, I used that my advantage. I've seen Columbo. I've been known to make the suspect think I was real stupid and ended up getting them to inadvertantly admit their crime.

Do I think cops out of shape cops should get in a gym and do some running? Absolutely, so they can have a life left when this is all finished.
      Exactly my point. I think some of the best officers we have mentally are out of shape physically. And if they were to get into better shape then we'd have near-perfect officers.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

overweight

Alabama DPS requires an annual physical assessment. This consists of a minimum of 30 push ups/ sit ups within a one minute period. This is followed by either a one mile run, or a two mile walk. The run must be done within 30 minutes, the walk 45. As you can see, lightning speed is not required, but a certain level of fitness is. This assessment can be waived on a case by case basis with proper medical certification. The goal obviously, is a fit department. Do we have fat Troopers? Yep, but they're the exception rather than the rule. Regardless of a department's requirments, physical fitness is something we should try to achieve simply as a matter of overall health. A walk around the block can be a great form of exercise. As one poster noted, an Officer's appearence can and does make a difference in various tactical situations. While we can't all be "Recruiting poster" cops, but physical fitness is a pretty attainable goal. Thus endeth the sermon.

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
          I am guessing that you don't see experience in a patrol officer as a good thing.

did you even read my post?? i said make them supers, i don't see what is so hard to understand, they have exprience?? thats great, they should teach the new guys and over look them, but if they are out of shape, then either be in a supervisor car or behind a desk... i'm not anti LEO or anything so this is not a hate post, simply how i see things.

Comment

And personally I rather have a 300lb guy with me day of the week, than some 150lb string bean marathon runner.
            I understand what you
            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Ok, not to beat a fat hourse here... opps! I mean DEAD Horse!

Ok, Firstly my beef with this post was non LEO's or guy's in the application process whining about the hoops they have to jump through athleticly compared to the guys they see on the street.

I also believe that if a guy is 300 pounds and can't walk up, or down a flight of stairs they should be yanked off the road.

Now, from personal experience, I have worked out my whole life. I have trained for triathlon in 2000 to just doing weights now, and currently on my watch I am the fatest with about 16-18% body fat (addiction to pizzza). However in saying that, I started working out at 14 yrs old, 21 years ago. Currently, I am also the strongest guy on the watch and I was the strongest guy in my troop in training.

So, it annoys me when some applicant, or wanna be says, "jez they should move the obesse guy off the street, or make them trainers."

And as far as presence goes, I will tell you this, many of the larger cops will have a lot less people willing to take a poke at them then the tooth picks. I say this from personal experience, when I was at my leanest at 165 it seemed like everyone and their dog wanted to fight with me, but at 220 (240ish in uniform) people's listening skills have improved, and they don't seem willing to talk back.

More importantly it's how you wear the uniform, is your duty belt hanging off you, are your boots gray from never seeing any polish, do you look asleep at the wheel. You have too look and BE in the game, whether you have 6% or 20% body fat.

*editted to add* - I'm done with this thread.... and I'll be on my stationary bike for the next 45 minutes as we have ERT (SWAT) try outs in April and I want to be a nice lean 185lbs.
              Last edited by cst.sb; 08-27-2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=mobrien316] Until that day happens I

Comment

I believe in strength in variety.

I also believe a test should be standard every year.

No matter how fat you are, if you pass, your good to go. If you fail, you get x number of days/weeks, bla bla bla to fix it or show improvement.

There is strength in variety but a 400lb cop who can not walk up a few flights of stairs is a problem. On the other hand, if that 400lb cop can pass the test then who cares.

When I said the variety thing, I did not mean someone who is so out of shape they are a danger to themselves and others around them.

Comment

I just look at who i would want in a "john wayne" bar- room brawl ...

when we had to close down the bar's in cape canaveral after 2 am,

we always had to chase the z.z. top looking fishman, and riff raff out,

when i was with a smaller stature deputy they did'nt take us serious,

if i was with a similiar 6 ft 200 pounder, ***'s were gonna be beat,

if i was with a taller 250 plus guy, they'd haul *** real quick.

I get a chuckle outta these 5-1 female's who where c.s.a's

or...p.s.a.'s and wanna go on road patrol in our lilly white

districts instead of putting them in the jail where they get baptism

under fire and gonna fight quite a bit.

www.schackdaddy.com
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

overweight

whether this comment came from a wanna be, applicant, LEO or anyone else IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.

Your physical health and appearance says alot about who you are and how you take care (or not) of yourself. People come in different size and shape but becoming overweight (or having extreme excess body fat) regardless of your height, shows that you lack discipline (either you don't work out enough or you don't watch what you eat).

I mean COME ON PEOPLE. There is absolutely NO excuses for being overweight ESPECIALLY when you're a LEO or in the military. The military has a mandatory weight management program for those who can't seem to control their weight by the way.

I don't give a rats *** if you sit in your patrol car 12 hours a day. If a business man of wall st who's job requires so much "physical fitness" (picking up a phone, sittin on his *** all day, being a paper b***** all day) can be in top shape then explain me why I see some cops on the street that I KNOW wouldn't be able to catch me w/o radio'in me in or with the help of a K9. I run 10 miles a week on average and of those 10 miles I sprint about 2... thats on top of my regular workout.

It's all bout your lifestyle (thanks to the military I've acquired a pretty healthy one) and about self pride and pride in what you do. When I wear my BDUs or dress blues I look sharp and healthy. If I do make it to the LE world I will look sharp and healthy in my LE uniform as well. There will definitely be bigger and meaner looking dudes on the streets but they will find out that I'm in top shape and can take them down if they feel frisky and wanna dance with me.

You're a freakin cop got damn it, you are an asset to your state, county, city or town government. So ACT like it and take care of yourself... Instead of acting all ****y because it is a wanna be who told your *** you're overweight, you should be ashamed of yourself for even letting ya *** inflate like that. Take responsibility for your own acts and stop eating cakes donuts or watever and RUN more do MORE push ups, sit ups, drink MORE water. Damn, just do something to help yourself. The last people I expect to give me an excuse and blame others are those put in a position of authority.

NO EXCUSES especially when your job description REQUIRES YOU to be in top shape. It could be a life and death difference one day...
                      Last edited by NYSPGreg; 08-28-2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                        I agree. I think law enforcement agencies should be required to have annual PT tests like the military.

And making excuses show lack of a sense of responsibility.

Don't put fat guys in quotation marks. There's no accusations going on. We're talking about fat officers. People in the military have had to do worse things to their bodies and they are still held by a annual PT test. If you take care of your body in the first place your far less liable to get blown disks, bad hips, or even lower the extent of injuries because your body is more conditioned.

Great mentality. I'm in less than ideal shape, I'm not going to lie. I could stand to run a couple more miles a week and maybe do a few more push ups. But I do feel that if things broke bad I'm in shape enough to protect me and mine and that of my fellow officer. And I'm sure as hell am not going make a crappy excuse like "Eh, the world's not perfect." That's great. I hope I'm not in the fight for my life and end up getting killed because some fat *** with that mentality ran out of breath before he got on scene.
                        I've seen as many in shape LOADS as I have out of shape LOADS.....just cause your built like a brickouthouse does not a good cop make.
                        "here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

Comment

All of the overweight officers I know are over 40 and it

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Entre Nous]All of the overweight officers I know are over 40 and it
                            Last edited by NYSPGreg; 08-28-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

You said, "It's all about your lifestyle (thanks to the military I've acquired a pretty healthy one)" I don't know many cops who can say, "Thanks to being in law enforcement, I've acquired a pretty healthy lifestyle." An officer who stays in shape does it on his own, despite the odds. I have no idea how much self-motivation is required to stay in shape in the military, so I won't comment.

Tee hee...What if you get a fat FTO?
                              ..................................................

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
                                You said, "It's all about your lifestyle (thanks to the military I've acquired a pretty healthy one)" I don't know many cops who can say, "Thanks to being in law enforcement, I've acquired a pretty healthy lifestyle." An officer who stays in shape does it on his own, despite the odds. I have no idea how much self-motivation is required to stay in shape in the military, so I won't comment.

Tee hee...What if you get a fat FTO?
                                just the fact taht you wear a uniform and you are directly involved with the public should be enough of a motivation to stay in shape... well thats in my opinion... I could not be a LEO or even in the military if I had to order my uniforms XXXL and still have them snug tight on me. I could not be in a cruiser, or on foot patrol and have people look at me like I would pose no threat to them (if it wasn't for the tools on my belt) if they ever challenged my authority.

We cannot all look like superman. But all of us individually can certainly be in top shape and look in shape too.

lack of self-motivation because of your irregular shifts, or because your cop career doesn't encourage you to stay in shape still is a lame excuse to be obese.

**waiting for next excuse**

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4460 users online. 290 members and 4170 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X